• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

dav246

If I am going the Marine route do I need to know the backseat portion of the prep app for the FOFAR? I thought I saw somewhere that for Marine Pilots its the FOFAR score and not the PFAR. Maybe I am misinformed, I am still relatively new to all of this.

*Correction, looks like it is a 6 PFAR or FOFAR*
The PFAR and AQR are the important parts. The Marines really don't care about the rest.

dav246

I've definitely been doing a lot more of the academics over the PBM stuff. My UAV time is about 1.6-1.8 seconds. Getting a HOTAS here soon for that section but played a lot of flight sims with HOTAS a few years ago.
You are gonna want to practice that UAV a lot. Figure you are going to be slower on the real thing. If you make a compass and put it on a pencil and spin it, you can do it a lot faster.

dav246

Ok sweet. That is what I have been doing.
No pressure, but I would aim for 1.3 seconds or less with near perfect accuracy on the UAV app. When I went in for my 2nd bite I thought I was set, because I was hitting 1.8ish on the app. It didn't translate over quite as well as I would have hoped, I was getting 2.5 average and got two wrong.

Practice for accuracy, speed will follow.

tunnel11

No pressure, but I would aim for 1.3 seconds or less with near perfect accuracy on the UAV app. When I went in for my 2nd bite I thought I was set, because I was hitting 1.8ish on the app. It didn't translate over quite as well as I would have hoped, I was getting 2.5 average and got two wrong.

Practice for accuracy, speed will follow.
Got it. How is the real thing? Do you select with the mouse or keyboard?

dav246

Got it. How is the real thing? Do you select with the mouse or keyboard?
Mouse. You identify the target, then you have to click with the mouse. Its a little different than the app, as you are aiming for "parking lots" that all look identical, and the text is below, not above. Also the screen with the little airplane on the left on the app? Totally different. Just remember for the test, the orientation is the way that the arrow is pointing. I would reccomend hitting the flashcards (you can find all over the forum) as well, just so you are at least familliar with different formats.

madiego

They give you some instructions for 3 types of emergencies (fire, engine, propeller). Each emergency requires you to twist the knobs in a certain way on the throttle so that you fix the emergency while you are moving the stick and throttle around to track the little airplane on the screen. The updated Jantzen sim has a good example of what it’s like. During the test, it’s important to write down the instructions to each emergency procedure.
Do you happen to know or can reference where I may find these emergency procedures and what button/twist to do?

dav246

tunnel11

1st ASTB attempt on Friday, been studying as much as I can with the short amount of time, going to be practicing the PBM sections a lot the next few days but am not that worried for those. Any final tips?

aburg22

1st ASTB attempt on Friday, been studying as much as I can with the short amount of time, going to be practicing the PBM sections a lot the next few days but am not that worried for those. Any final tips?
If you didn’t study heavy, just use your first attempt as a trial run. You’ll either do well enough or you’ll learn what you need to study

tunnel11

If you didn’t study heavy, just use your first attempt as a trial run. You’ll either do well enough or you’ll learn what you need to study
Will do, I studied 5-7 hours a day for about two weeks, and the weeks prior were studying/refreshing for the ASVAB as I didn't take the SAT.

aburg22

My first attempt was pretty eye-opening. I bought a joystick and throttle set and I’ve been really working on Jantzen’s sim. I would focus more on ANIT and PBM if you’re going for Aviation. If you’ve got UAV down pat and are pretty comfortable with inverted flight controls you’ll do okay

tunnel11

My first attempt was pretty eye-opening. I bought a joystick and throttle set and I’ve been really working on Jantzen’s sim. I would focus more on ANIT and PBM if you’re going for Aviation. If you’ve got UAV down pat and are pretty comfortable with inverted flight controls you’ll do okay
I'll focus primarily on the ANIT now, I feel pretty comfortable with most of the stuff on there, grew up around boats and airplanes/military, as well as some general aviation knowledge, I have a few hours. I have the UAV down with the compass trick, would like to get faster but shouldn't be an issue. Played a lot of flight sims with a stick and throttle but now I'll practice Jantzen's sim since I just got the hotas.
Thank you.