• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Cwhite

El Padrino
Just took the ASTB… got a 56 7/5/7

BS in physics, solid motivational statement, and a couple of 2 star admirals, few pilots, and 3 full bird colonels for Letters of Rec… should I retake or send the package off…

exNavyOffRec

BS in physics, solid motivational statement, and a couple of 2 star admirals, few pilots, and 3 full bird colonels for Letters of Rec… should I retake or send the package off…
Study and retake, a 5 PFAR is very rare to have and get a selection.

Cajun

SNA ProRecY
For me and in order (please make sure to confirm with calibrations/stick/throttle used for you)

1. Fire (CCW to 0% E-Knob, CCW to 0% I-Knob, Clutch)
2. Engine (CW to 100% E-Knob, CW to 100% I-Knob, Clutch)
3. Prop (50% E-Knob, 100% I-Knob, Clutch)

I preset Fire inputs before the test started, pressed clutch as soon as "warning" was said on headset. From there I adjusted for Engine, and from there to Prop. Verbal cues are used and you have some time between to adjust as your flying.

You also have 2 gauges at the bottom right of your screen for High, Medium, Low. For Prop 50% on E-Knob, if your unsure, just look to hover medium.
Has anyone else had any luck presetting the ep's like this?

diamondw245

yeah this is a very simple thing to be honest good to practice the problems but you should have more material I hope some of this helps, know arithmetic, algebra, every backend in geometry, and some time to complete, as well as, Distance rate Time, I am in a study group online if you want to join we have member sharing their strengths and weakness we have been making some progress. I copied the formulas from this website its not pretty but I can give you the link https://www.effortlessmath.com/math-topics/astb-math-formulas/
I will be joining some time this week. I am going through the Prep App and it’s helpful because you are learning, taking notes and doing some problems related to the learning subject. repetitiveness is key to learning

Cajun

SNA ProRecY
What is the point of asking us to do the LOR’s then and writing about ourselves
I don't know an exact answer, I'm sure they were used in the past when racking and stacking candidates when they had more slots. There are so many applications and so few slots currently that they look at your ASTB and GPA and on the the next application. Flight experience I think is the third thing they still look at used as a tie breaker. I'll try to find the post but I think either @exNavyOffRec or @FormerRecruitingGuru posted what I just explained.

exNavyOffRec

I don't know an exact answer, I'm sure they were used in the past when racking and stacking candidates when they had more slots. There are so many applications and so few slots currently that they look at your ASTB and GPA and on the the next application. Flight experience I think is the third thing they still look at used as a tie breaker. I'll try to find the post but I think either @exNavyOffRec or @FormerRecruitingGuru posted what I just explained.
They haven't been used in at least 20 years, ASTB is key, GPA can hurt more than help, flight experience take it or leave it. I have seen those with flight experience and good ASTB picked up, and those with flight experience and a not good ASTB rejected. If anything the flight experience might help with understanding some parts of the ASTB.

NROTC MIDN here. I took the ASTB for the first time today and got 6/7/6. I hadn't practiced with the joystick and throttle. Going to get the X52 to practice with. Does anyone know how to set it up with Jantez's simulator? All I have is a Mac laptop.

Also to improve the 6's I got, what sections affect those scores the most?

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA

Exactly what the former 2 ORs said. LORs help with credibility, but are not the game changer. Marines look at PIQs (their version of LORs) more heavily... For Navy side its ASTB, then GPA(and higher education if you have it), and then LORs/Flight experience...

Although I have been told by previous Navy pilots with insight into the selection that people with flight experience fall into another stack vs those who don't, and your degree puts you in a different tier depending on if it is a "STEM" degree or not...

All speculation at the end of the day

Cwhite

El Padrino
Exactly what the former 2 ORs said. LORs help with credibility, but are not the game changer. Marines look at PIQs (their version of LORs) more heavily... For Navy side its ASTB, then GPA(and higher education if you have it), and then LORs/Flight experience...

Although I have been told by previous Navy pilots with insight into the selection that people with flight experience fall into another stack vs those who don't, and your degree puts you in a different tier depending on if it is a "STEM" degree or not...

All speculation at the end of the day
Roger that. Well I have close to 20 hours of flights time while working on my private pilot license. Bs-physics, government internships, Outstanding LORs, 5+ years of experience in the aviation field.. e.g., working directly with a wide range of military/private aircrafts, and no waivers… just trying to think wether It’s worth submitting a package with that PFAR as a 5… my only thought for it being so low was that I missed like 3 on the dichotic listening.. on my UAV I missed one avg about 1.5… the joystick portion I rocked since I bought sticks to practice with Jantez sim… I messed up partially on the fire emergency and fixed immediately… on the ANIT I had about 17-18 questions but felt I answered almost every single question right. My negative take from the PFAR score would be that I was much to slow on the ANIT questions, though I felt I answered correctly I was a bit slow on my response time, the dichotic listing went well until those 3 mess ups that all happened on the same ear, and a slight error On the fire emergency sections where I turned the knobs the wrong way but ended up saving it. Apart from submitting a package with what I have above…. I’m curious how that PFAR dropped so much. I had those cross hairs lined up pretty much the entire time And crushed the UAV portion, slight error on dichotic and the first fire emergency..also I think I answered the ANIT questions rather slow, though most if not all were Correct