• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

FlyingGamecock

Would someone be able to confirm whether the trigger corresponds to even and clutch with odd or the other way around in the PBM section on the ASTB? I've been practicing the other way around with the Jantzen sim and I don't want to develop incorrect "muscle memory".
Pretty positive the trigger is even and clutch is odd.

2bbknack

I was studying probability worksheets in Kyle's and Gomez' drive, but it seem like a lot of those questions are designed to be practiced with a calculator as a lot of the division is nearly impossible to do quickly without one. How should I go about studying probability w/out a calculator? Most of my knowledge is based on permutations and combinatorics, which primarily involve factorials which are time consuming to hand calculate past 5! or 6!. Should I just memorize up to 10!?

E.g.
A fair coin is flipped ten times. What is the
probability of the coin landing heads up
exactly six times?

I know to solve this with P = 10 C 6 / 2^10. With hand calcs, this becomes 10! / (6! 4! * 1024) = 3628800 / 6! * 24 * 1024. Obviously this can't practically be done without a calculator in the time you need to get it done on a test. A quicker option could be drawing a chart out with every possibility and counting the times the coin lands heads up 6 times, but when you need to solve each problem in ~50 seconds, this is also really time consuming. How else could I go about a problem like this in a time considerate manner?

I was studying probability worksheets in Kyle's and Gomez' drive, but it seem like a lot of those questions are designed to be practiced with a calculator as a lot of the division is nearly impossible to do quickly without one. How should I go about studying probability w/out a calculator? Most of my knowledge is based on permutations and combinatorics, which primarily involve factorials which are time consuming to hand calculate past 5! or 6!. Should I just memorize up to 10!?

E.g.
A fair coin is flipped ten times. What is the
probability of the coin landing heads up
exactly six times?

I know to solve this with P = 10 C 6 / 2^10. With hand calcs, this becomes 10! / (6! 4! * 1024) = 3628800 / 6! * 24 * 1024. Obviously this can't practically be done without a calculator in the time you need to get it done on a test. A quicker option could be drawing a chart out with every possibility and counting the times the coin lands heads up 6 times, but when you need to solve each problem in ~50 seconds, this is also really time consuming. How else could I go about a problem like this in a time considerate manner?
When dividing factorials by factorials you can usually cancel out a ton of like numbers in the numerator and denominator. You won't need a calculator for any problems on the astb. You should be good at doing basic stuff in your head/on paper.

elariosa95

SNA (A-Pool)
You won't need a calculator for any problems on the astb. You should be good at doing basic stuff in your head/on paper.
This^^

When I took it, one of the questions I got was the probability of the numbers on a pair of dice adding up to 8. Not terribly time-consuming but worth knowing how to do ahead of time just so you're prepared for different cases.

2bbknack

When dividing factorials by factorials you can usually cancel out a ton of like numbers in the numerator and denominator. You won't need a calculator for any problems on the astb. You should be good at doing basic stuff in your head/on paper.
Idk why I never realized that. Thanks

This^^

When I took it, one of the questions I got was the probability of the numbers on a pair of dice adding up to 8. Not terribly time-consuming but worth knowing how to do ahead of time just so you're prepared for different cases.
I think I can handle something like that, where you can count up the possibilities in your head and divide by 36, but do you remember any more complicated probability questions, maybe something along the difficulty of this worksheet? I seem to remember some on my first try that I wasn't confident on but I don't remember the details.

elariosa95

SNA (A-Pool)
I think I can handle something like that, where you can count up the possibilities in your head and divide by 36, but do you remember any more complicated probability questions, maybe something along the difficulty of this worksheet? I seem to remember some on my first try that I wasn't confident on but I don't remember the details.
I remember seeing a problem in the Barron's ASTB book about the probability of getting x number of boys out of y number of children. Other than that, I can't remember any others.

ewan_eye

Hello Everyone.

I am an OCC applicant for the USMC. I want to fly for the Marines. I am 25 (going on 26) years old. I have taken the ASTB twice and achieved nearly the same (non-qualifying) scores 53/5/4/6 and 52/5/4/5 respectively. For Marines, I have been told through my recruiter that the PFAR and the FOFAR are paramount, requiring 6's to qualify.

It is quite clear that what I have done thus far is not working, which is why I am here. I am currently reading through the forum looking for the drives, guides, etc that I've seen mentioned thus far. Does anyone have any suggestions (although I am sure I'll read through some of them in this thread) on improving performance on the PBM section? I absolutely suck on that part, and it needs the most improvement (although all my sections do as well). Anything is appreciated. Thank you for taking the time, and I am glad that something like this exists not only so I can benefit from it, but also so I can pay it forward (hopefully) later on down the road.

Major: Bachelor of Arts in Economics
College: University of San Diego (2020)
GPA: 3.26
Branch: USMC

Very Respectfully,

Nigel Ward

aymanb1234

Hello Everyone.

I am an OCC applicant for the USMC. I want to fly for the Marines. I am 25 (going on 26) years old. I have taken the ASTB twice and achieved nearly the same (non-qualifying) scores 53/5/4/6 and 52/5/4/5 respectively. For Marines, I have been told through my recruiter that the PFAR and the FOFAR are paramount, requiring 6's to qualify.

It is quite clear that what I have done thus far is not working, which is why I am here. I am currently reading through the forum looking for the drives, guides, etc that I've seen mentioned thus far. Does anyone have any suggestions (although I am sure I'll read through some of them in this thread) on improving performance on the PBM section? I absolutely suck on that part, and it needs the most improvement (although all my sections do as well). Anything is appreciated. Thank you for taking the time, and I am glad that something like this exists not only so I can benefit from it, but also so I can pay it forward (hopefully) later on down the road.

Major: Bachelor of Arts in Economics
College: University of San Diego (2020)
GPA: 3.26
Branch: USMC

Very Respectfully,

Nigel Ward
I’m on the same boat with a 52 and 5’s across the board so i’m also looking for a response. All you need is a 4 on the AQR and a 6 on the PFAR, they don’t care about the FOFAR anymore. I have been told by my OSO that there are one point waivers for those that get a 5 on the PFAR to make it a 6, if that’s what it comes down to on your last attempt, hopefully that won’t be the case but thought I could relay that info if worse comes to worst.

exNavyOffRec

I’m on the same boat with a 52 and 5’s across the board so i’m also looking for a response. All you need is a 4 on the AQR and a 6 on the PFAR, they don’t care about the FOFAR anymore. I have been told by my OSO that there are one point waivers for those that get a 5 on the PFAR to make it a 6, if that’s what it comes down to on your last attempt, hopefully that won’t be the case but thought I could relay that info if worse comes to worst.
That one point waiver has been talked about several times before, none who have talked about it somewhat recently ever talked about being able to obtain it. In most cases the question will be can we not get enough applicants so we need to give a waiver. The views on waivers often change based on who is in charge, ideally study and obtain a score so you can avoid needing a waiver.