• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

JackT

My recruiter says that after these next two boards in October, and I believe either December or January, that when I am accepted I won't ship out for OCS until late 2024 or early 2025. Is this what y'all have been seeing the past year or so? That seems like quite a while for a branch that is hurting extremely bad for pilots.

exNavyOffRec

Hello all,
I am pursuing a pilot slot.
I took my ASTB about two weeks ago, I got a 41 3/4/4, which is terrible.
I studied an ASTB prep book for about two weeks prior, walked into the exam with tons of confidence, but i bombed it. Any recommendations on study material before my next exam?

The only thing positive with my application is my 3.6 GPA, and that I'm a starter and team captain on my college baseball team.
Unfortunately your PFAR is the most important piece of the puzzle team captain on sports team has no benefit.

space_sailor

My recruiter says that after these next two boards in October, and I believe either December or January, that when I am accepted I won't ship out for OCS until late 2024 or early 2025. Is this what y'all have been seeing the past year or so? That seems like quite a while for a branch that is hurting extremely bad for pilots.
Not sure where you heard that the US Navy is hurting for pilots.

There is also a difference between needing pilots with 8+ years of experience vs newbies with no experience. (Not that I know if the Navy needs any type of pilot but my assumption would be they are more likely to need experienced aviators not green beans)

Edit: but yeah a lot of Pro-Rec-Y SNAs from the May 2022 board are looking at OCS dates in FY 24. SNFOs who were selected have sooner OCS dates.

Last edited:

JackT

Not sure where you heard that the US Navy is hurting for pilots.

There is also a difference between needing pilots with 8+ years of experience vs newbies with no experience. (Not that I know if the Navy needs any type of pilot but my assumption would be they are more likely to need experienced aviators not green beans)

Edit: but yeah a lot of Pro-Rec-Y SNAs from the May 2022 board are looking at OCS dates in FY 24
I heard it from some mentors of mine, retired naval aviators. Obviously, while established in the community, those gentlemen have been out of the game a while. That's why I hopped on this blog to find some more accurate information from people like yourself that are waiting to go to OCS. Thanks for the response, it's greatly appreciated.
This is great! Thank you.

exNavyOffRec

I heard it from some mentors of mine, retired naval aviators. Obviously, while established in the community, those gentlemen have been out of the game a while. That's why I hopped on this blog to find some more accurate information from people like yourself that are waiting to go to OCS. Thanks for the response, it's greatly appreciated.

This is great! Thank you.
There has NEVER been an issue getting new accession applicants for aviation and that is going back decades.

Cherry Point Kid

Hey yall

Well its official, I finally passed the damn test lol
I am so thankful for all of yall on here. I never thought i would actually get to do my post on here, but here it is yall. This is for all of you, for helping me make it past this milestone!

OAR 46, 5 ,7, 6, Shooting for USMC Pilot

Math: I basically had algebra and geometry, no calculus or anything crazy, alot of probability questions.

Reading: Dry, boring, almost ran out of time but literally the answers are in the text

Mechanical: i got a little bit of everything from electrical to springs, heat, pressure, balance forces. Everything was conceptual, don't over think the problems. Keep them simple.

ANIT: I mainly got questions regarding parts with planes and boats but also some general aviation questions in regards to performance and random ones like icing temperature.

UAV: averaged 2-3 seconds on each and only missed one. Other than that, USE THE COMPASS TRICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Without it, I probably would've failed

PBM: Just do the best you can on it, write your emergency procedures and focus on the sounds in the ears on the headsets

Overall, I've studied for months off and on and I went in nervous but confident and that helped out alot. This was my second time taking it and I'm so happy it was my last
What is this compass trick?

OptionsDollaraire

Yall I just had an idea, what if you used the new suction cups that you bought on the x52 HOTAS stick/throttle and brought it to the test. Took off the old suctions and replaced them with the new ones? Would that be too sus? Considered cheating?

cgoss99

ProRec SNA
Yall I just had an idea, what if you used the new suction cups that you bought on the x52 HOTAS stick/throttle and brought it to the test. Took off the old suctions and replaced them with the new ones? Would that be too sus? Considered cheating?
Don’t really think you’d be able to do this. Testing is supposed to be the same for all applicants or at least as close as possible to the same to create equal and fair results.

OptionsDollaraire

Don’t really think you’d be able to do this. Testing is supposed to be the same for all applicants or at least as close as possible to the same to create equal and fair results.
So the throttle/stick is supposed to be loose for everyone to make it fair? That means people who test with new HOTAS equipment have an unfair advantage ?. Mental gymnastics man