• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

ClutchS306

OK. I get what you are saying. What I was asking is I have more then three choices. My OR said I should do Surface Warfare(SWO) because they accept the most and it sounded interesting. So that was choice #1. The problem begins with I have 5 other choices I liked. #2 for me was Intelligence(Intel). Here's the real question for my third choice I don't want to waste it. I like Information Warfare(IO,IWO), Public Affairs(PAO), Special Operations(SEALS), and Attorney(JAG). I don't know if I want a safe bet or of if I want to throw myself out there as determined. If those all require you to have better degrees or better GPA's or better ASTB scores, should I just put Supply even though I am not interested in that.
GPA-2.38
ASTB - 5/5/6 53
Criminal Justice Degree, minor mathematics.

blarged

ready
If those all require you to have better degrees or better GPA's or better ASTB scores, should I just put Supply even though I am not interested in that.
GPA-2.38
ASTB - 5/5/6 53

No. Why would you sign up for something in which you have no interest? None of the communities are a guarantee.

For all communities your GPA might be a hindrance. If JAG is something you really have interest in, start making your way through law school and do well at it. That will open up doors in all the communities (IMO).

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
OK. I get what you are saying. What I was asking is I have more then three choices. My OR said I should do Surface Warfare(SWO) because they accept the most and it sounded interesting. So that was choice #1. The problem begins with I have 5 other choices I liked. #2 for me was Intelligence(Intel). Here's the real question for my third choice I don't want to waste it. I like Information Warfare(IO,IWO), Public Affairs(PAO), Special Operations(SEALS), and Attorney(JAG). I don't know if I want a safe bet or of if I want to throw myself out there as determined. If those all require you to have better degrees or better GPA's or better ASTB scores, should I just put Supply even though I am not interested in that.
GPA-2.38
ASTB - 5/5/6 53
You're coming at this thing with the wrong mindset. You don't put seals to make you look determined or SWO because you think they will accept you. It's not a game. Do some research and find out what you really want to do, or if this is even the career you really want. It sounds like you stumbled into the OR's office a little hung-over and were told you get to make up to 3 choices with what you do for your career. This isn't something that should be decided on a whim. Spend some time figuring out what those choices mean and what it is like to be a naval officer.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
GPA-2.38
ASTB - 5/5/6 53

Most advise offered you is good. Let me clarify some things. JAG is not available through OCS. You have to be in law school already and are direct commissioned. No OCS. PAO and SEAL is outrageously competitive. Only about 12 SEALs per year through OCS and fewer PAOs. SEALs need a long demonstrated record of athleticism and very good scores. Your degree will not support IW unless your minor in math was very strong. Intel, same issues, but maybe if there is something else about your app that is strong. I don't like you chances for supply either.

Your GPA and major is a problem for every community. TAKE THE DAMN TEST AGAIN!!! You have to rock the astb to get past the GPA thing. Above all, do not apply for anything you really don't want to do. OCS is a bitch and you must be motivated. Even then 4-6 years in the military doing something you settled for will make a very miserable life.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Your GPA and major is a problem for every community. TAKE THE DAMN TEST AGAIN!!! You have to rock the astb to get past the GPA thing. Above all, do not apply for anything you really don't want to do. OCS is a bitch and you must be motivated. Even then 4-6 years in the military doing something you settled for will make a very miserable life.

Just to piggy back what Wink said as well and to offer another suggestion.

I had an undergrad GPA of 2.56 in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Michigan. When I was in the application process, I was in the midst of pursuing a Masters degree from the University of Colorado while working FT. My Master's GPA in Aerospace was a 3.5. I DEFINITELY think that helped me.

If you can enroll in some grad courses and donkey punch the shit out of them and get to know the profs on a more personal level, it will help with your package. My advisors that wrote me LORs I had only known for 3 years, but in that 3 years, I was in their office everyday mostly, I had 3 classes with them, talked about my goals constantly and did research with them. Now all that was NOT done to help me get into the Navy, it was being done because I was going for a Ph.D at the time. But as I said, anything you can do to boost your package and get people to see that you're more than a number on a VERY expensive piece of paper is possible. And that goes for any job interview in life, not just the Navy.

Take the advice of others and apply for EXACTLY the jobs you want to do, not because they're easier or it will make you look good. For example, if you got SEALS and got through OCS and then realized that it wasn't something you really wanted to do, BUD/S training would be absolute hell for you would prob end up DOR'ing. Don't take spots away from those who REALLY do want those jobs. You should seriously think and consider if military life is what you want, and if so, then apply to what YOU are interested in doing. (not your OR, your parents, etc) Narrow it down to 3 and go from there.

Good luck bro.

Kdsmith120

Okay so I have been viewing this board for almost 3 months now and havent really posted but once. I am through meps, flight physical and just took my ASTB today, scored 8 8 8 63. I am working on a Marine SNA slot at OCS and am concerned with my GPA. My GPA is a 2.48 in political science, is this ASTB score high enough to offset the poor GPA?

Also, I have yet to take my PFT, due to some knee problems (off subject I know). Has anyone here ever had knee problems due to a tight IT band? If so I have been working on getting it stretched back out to get my runs faster, but it keeps tightening up.... Anybody have any knowledge on the subject?

blarged

ready
Okay so I have been viewing this board for almost 3 months now and havent really posted but once. I am through meps, flight physical and just took my ASTB today, scored 8 8 8 63. I am working on a Marine SNA slot at OCS and am concerned with my GPA. My GPA is a 2.48 in political science, is this ASTB score high enough to offset the poor GPA?

That's a pretty sucky GPA but that's a pretty awesome ASTB score. It is my unprofessional, inexperienced, and uneducated (except for what I read here) opinion that ... well ... wait ... how are we suppose to know the answer to your question?

There was one person recently that got picked up for a designator that I don't remember with a GPA around yours. I do not remember their ASTB score though. Helpful, probably not, but maybe it'll spark someone else's memory on the thread.

navygirl7

Bad Info on ASTB retakes

I took just the OAR first since there isn't the 3 time limit to retesting like the ASTB. I wanted to make sure I was on track with my studying. Didn't want to waste one of my three chances to just find out what the test was like.

When I went back to take the full ASTB, you can't just take certain sections. You have to take the full test. Believe me I didtn't want to have to retake it after getting a 65, but I still came out rather good.

BAD INFO

From the ASTB Overview from NOMI:

Test Merges: Applicants who have taken only the OAR portion of the ASTB (MST, RCT, & MCT) may
take the remaining portions (SAT, ANIT, & AST) to obtain a complete set of scores. Examinees must take
the remaining portions within 90 days of the initial test, and the test date of the SAT, ANIT, & AST
become the official test date for the complete exam. The test merge will count as only one attempt
against the examinee’s 3 test lifetime limit.

In addition, the reason why there is a 3-test limit is because there are only 3 test forms (Forms 4, 5, and 6), so although I don't know for sure, it seems ridiculous to me that you could take the OAR section more than 3 times. That would mean that you could retake a test you've already taken. Ah... if only.

hst

I just took my ASTB this morning

70 8/7/7

I used the Barron's book and the online stuff

Some observations:
-The math and physics problems were much easier on the test than in the Barron's book, but the Spatial Apperception questions were harder and more complex

-The supplemental test was basically an extension of the Aviation/Nautical Knowledge section, and was more difficult than in the book

-The Reading Skills test was easier than in the book -- all of the questions were of the same type

Studying the math questions in the other sections (AFOQT) was very helpful

I am applying to USMC OCS with an Aviation contract

BullGator

I just took my ASTB this morning

70 8/7/7

I used the Barron's book and the online stuff

Some observations:
-The math and physics problems were much easier on the test than in the Barron's book, but the Spatial Apperception questions were harder and more complex

-The supplemental test was basically an extension of the Aviation/Nautical Knowledge section, and was more difficult than in the book

-The Reading Skills test was easier than in the book -- all of the questions were of the same type

Studying the math questions in the other sections (AFOQT) was very helpful

I am applying to USMC OCS with an Aviation contract
Congrats on the scores. That is the highest OAR score I've seen. :) And good luck!

bhard11

I took the ASTB today, did average. Going to take it again. I need more practice tests, I have gone over most of Barron's. Any advice for great practice materials??