• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

skb832

If you have internet issues while taking the ASTB (for me it crashed during the UAV portion multiple times) do they ever let you retake that portion without retaking the whole exam and using up another attempt?

chrisv337

Well, I just took the ASTB for the first time a couple days ago and I scored 7/5/7 61. Not quite the score I was hoping for in the PFAR section...perhaps the other ones will make up for it a little bit? My goal is to be a Naval Aviator. I'm doing STA-21 this year, and every year until I finish my bachelor's, then I'll go the OCS route if I haven't already been picked up for STA-21.

I spent a few days practicing on Jantzen's ASTB simulator right before the test but that didn't seem like it helped me very much. I did good with dichotic listening but I definitely feel like I dropped the ball during the tracking and EP portion of the test, I'd say mostly because the controls were significantly lagged compared to Jantzen's sim. I guess this is understandable if their trying to simulate realistic movements of an aircraft after control inputs are made.

Could this be why my PFAR is contrastingly low against my other scores? Perhaps I should buy a personal HOTAS set to hook up to a flight simulator game? Just looking for a way to bump up that PFAR if/when I decide to take it again!

Regardless, I was decently surprised with my score considering how I felt at the end of the test. I really studied my a** off for this one but I am by no stretch an academic by nature. However, I at least have a rock solid work ethic. NO ONE can deny me that.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Well, I just took the ASTB for the first time a couple days ago and I scored 7/5/7 61. Not quite the score I was hoping for in the PFAR section...perhaps the other ones will make up for it a little bit? My goal is to be a Naval Aviator. I'm doing STA-21 this year, and every year until I finish my bachelor's, then I'll go the OCS route if I haven't already been picked up for STA-21. I spent a few days practicing on Jantzen's ASTB simulator right before the test but that didn't seem like it helped me very much. I did good with dichotic listening but I definitely feel like I dropped the ball during the tracking and EP portion of the test, I'd say mostly because the controls were significantly lagged compared to Jantzen's sim. I guess this is understandable if their trying to simulate realistic movements of an aircraft after control inputs are made.

Could this be why my PFAR is contrastingly low against my other scores? Perhaps I should buy a personal HOTAS set to hook up to a flight simulator game? Just looking for a way to bump up that PFAR if/when I decide to take it again!

Regardless, I was decently surprised with my score considering how I felt at the end of the test. I really studied my a** off for this one and I am by no stretch an academic by nature. However, I at least have a rock solid work ethic. No one can deny me that.
Good on you for taking it early to see what you need to do and keep working on that degree, plan for OCS but hope for STA-21 or as it should be called NUKE-21

rtpi2000

Surviving NIFE
ROTC Mid here (just finished my junior year), took my second ASTB today. I was hoping for trip 7+, but got a 61 7/6/7 instead. Although I didn't meet my goal, it was still an improvement over my previous score (52 6/5/6). I'm hoping for SNA, and I was wondering if this is a competitive score/ whether I should risk retaking the ASTB again as it will be my final chance. My officers tell me it is a competitive score, but I wanted to ask around just in case.

As far as I'm aware this doesn't really matter, but I have a 3.66 GPA working towards a tier 3 B.S.

Thanks in advance for the insight,

Cheers.

exNavyOffRec

ROTC Mid here (just finished my junior year), took my second ASTB today. I was hoping for trip 7+, but got a 61 7/6/7 instead. Although I didn't meet my goal, it was still an improvement over my previous score (52 6/5/6). I'm hoping for SNA, and I was wondering if this is a competitive score/ whether I should risk retaking the ASTB again as it will be my final chance. My officers tell me it is a competitive score, but I wanted to ask around just in case.

As far as I'm aware this doesn't really matter, but I have a 3.66 GPA working towards a tier 3 B.S.

Thanks in advance for the insight,

Cheers.
I would talk to your advisor as most on here are going for OCS and while the ASTB is the same their are differences.

II Sevv

Thought I would make a quick post as I just took the ASTB-E for the first time yesterday. Because of some computer issues I wasn’t able to do anything but the OAR, and need to come back in 2 days to do all of the PBM stuff and the UAV test. However, with about 2 weeks of studying, I was able to get an 80 (the maximum allowed score) on the OAR, which was honestly a complete surprise. Based on this score I obviously won’t be retaking the test unless I somehow completely bomb the PBM.

About 25% of my math questions were on cube roots, radicals, and fractional exponents, which I hadn’t studied at all for, but instead of just guessing I started plugging each answer into the equation which I assume helped my score quite a bit. The reading was extremely difficult as all of my passages were naval documents with words I had never seen before, and all of the provided answers were extremely similar in wording. It seemed like this portion went on forever and I was given easily 2-3 times as many questions as any other section. The mechanical portion had a few questions I hadn’t even considered to study like “If Jim heats a metal ring with a 4” hole and then cools it back down, how big will the hole be?” And “if there is a strip with two metals side by side and when it it is heated metal A expands faster, which direction will the strip bend?”. I ended up just guessing on those. For the aviation portion, I had one or two extremely simple aviation history questions and the rest were on parts of a plane and principles of aerodynamics with one question on airspace. The nautical portion was also extremely simple with almost all of the questions being about boat terms, and all of the terms were on the flash cards I studied. The aviation/nautical portion was also extremely short and I only got maybe 10 questions max covering both topics.

To study, I studied 3 different people’s gouges (that I’ll post) as well as an FAA handbook I bought on Amazon. This forum has been a great help as this is where I found all of the study materials.

First attempt, 57 7/6/6. Applying SNA only. I will be retaking. I want to say thank you to every single person who has posted before me. The information write ups in this thread are invaluable and helped me a ton when preparing.

I do have some questions:
My earphones were playing more than one sound in each ear simultaneously during the test. For example say the left ear said 3 and the right ear said T, there was also a fainter voice in each ear saying a different group of letters/numbers at the exact same time. It was not one letter/number in each ear. I was not ready for that and it really threw me off, just wanted to make sure this is normal. Any advice is appreciated.

Did you guys have an external monitor plugged in or did you take the test directly off the laptop? When the tracking/throttle started to pick up the frames dropped to what seemed like 10fps. Skipping and lagging. Anyone else? Maybe my system was slow in general, when I was taking the NAFTI it took over a minute for the next question to load. My recruiter came in and thought I had fallen asleep because I had been in there so long haha.

The UAV and dicotic listening sections were where I screwed up. For the UAV the heading and which parking lot to find will be immediately displayed for each question, you do not need to wait for the voice. Treat this like the flashcards. I waited for the voice for the first 1/2 and was getting 4-5 seconds, when I realized I was botching it I was able to get down to 2-2.5 sec. Also missed one. DRAW THE COMPASS

I studied for about 5 weeks, probably averaging 4 hours a day.
Know Kyles/Gomez guide inside and out. If you are stressing over the math, use the guides. I started day one not remembering how to do long division and not taking any sort of math class since 2018. The guides and YouTube will get you where you need to be for the math/mechanical, but not anywhere near a perfect score. Do as many practice tests as you can get your hands on.
For the ANIT, the cram cards helped, but I feel like my advice is not as valuable here because I have my PPL which helped me a ton. Know how an airplane works, airspaces, what control surfaces do what. Know the parts of a ship. I had no history questions, or Navy questions in general.

As others have said, you might feel like you are doing awful during the test. Do not let this stress you out. I thought midway through the OAR and then during the harder parts of the tracking, that I was failing badly. You will have questions that you have to guess on, and topics you did not study, and topics that you drilled that don't show up at all. I read every single post from page 200 onward, and there were still things that caught me off guard. Some of the stuff that I overlooked when studying:
  • Superconductivity and temp.
  • AC/DC current
  • Converting Newtons/Joules to other measurements
  • relationships between power/voltage/current
For the tracking, it will get overwhelming. The sections are relatively short, so push yourself and then regroup in-between. Write down the emergency procedures. I did not set my knobs back to neutral, not sure how that effected my score. 3 quick scenarios and the ASTB is now behind you. Good luck everyone.

rtpi2000

Surviving NIFE
First attempt, 57 7/6/6. Applying SNA only. I will be retaking. I want to say thank you to every single person who has posted before me. The information write ups in this thread are invaluable and helped me a ton when preparing.

I do have some questions:
My earphones were playing more than one sound in each ear simultaneously during the test. For example say the left ear said 3 and the right ear said T, there was also a fainter voice in each ear saying a different group of letters/numbers at the exact same time. It was not one letter/number in each ear. I was not ready for that and it really threw me off, just wanted to make sure this is normal. Any advice is appreciated.

Did you guys have an external monitor plugged in or did you take the test directly off the laptop? When the tracking/throttle started to pick up the frames dropped to what seemed like 10fps. Skipping and lagging. Anyone else? Maybe my system was slow in general, when I was taking the NAFTI it took over a minute for the next question to load. My recruiter came in and thought I had fallen asleep because I had been in there so long haha.

The UAV and dicotic listening sections were where I screwed up. For the UAV the heading and which parking lot to find will be immediately displayed for each question, you do not need to wait for the voice. Treat this like the flashcards. I waited for the voice for the first 1/2 and was getting 4-5 seconds, when I realized I was botching it I was able to get down to 2-2.5 sec. Also missed one. DRAW THE COMPASS

I studied for about 5 weeks, probably averaging 4 hours a day.
Know Kyles/Gomez guide inside and out. If you are stressing over the math, use the guides. I started day one not remembering how to do long division and not taking any sort of math class since 2018. The guides and YouTube will get you where you need to be for the math/mechanical, but not anywhere near a perfect score. Do as many practice tests as you can get your hands on.
For the ANIT, the cram cards helped, but I feel like my advice is not as valuable here because I have my PPL which helped me a ton. Know how an airplane works, airspaces, what control surfaces do what. Know the parts of a ship. I had no history questions, or Navy questions in general.

As others have said, you might feel like you are doing awful during the test. Do not let this stress you out. I thought midway through the OAR and then during the harder parts of the tracking, that I was failing badly. You will have questions that you have to guess on, and topics you did not study, and topics that you drilled that don't show up at all. I read every single post from page 200 onward, and there were still things that caught me off guard. Some of the stuff that I overlooked when studying:
  • Superconductivity and temp.
  • AC/DC current
  • Converting Newtons/Joules to other measurements
  • relationships between power/voltage/current
For the tracking, it will get overwhelming. The sections are relatively short, so push yourself and then regroup in-between. Write down the emergency procedures. I did not set my knobs back to neutral, not sure how that effected my score. 3 quick scenarios and the ASTB is now behind you. Good luck everyone.
"My earphones were playing more than one sound in each ear simultaneously during the test." - Yes, this is normal. It threw me off at first too but the way I dealt with it is I *leaned to the side that I was supposed to listen to*.

"the frames dropped to what seemed like 10fps" - I took the test on a PC so I did;t have this problem, but you should definitely bring that up and request a better testing device as that isn;t fair to you.

II Sevv

80 OAR? Wow, congrats! Impressive.
Thanks! Once I do the PBM I plan on submitting my packet to the board. I’ve been talking to some Air Force pilots who have stressed the importance of having 50-60 flight hours in order to be selected your first go around, for AF boards. How true is this for naval aviation?

II Sevv

So, I just took the PBM (had computer issues and wasn’t able to take it the first day). When I left, my recruiter called me and said I had scored an 80 on the OAR, but after finishing the PBM today it spit out my scores as a 57 8/9/8. Not sure what the discrepancy on the OAR was and he must’ve just given me bad information but since I’m looking for a SNA slot it doesn’t matter anyway.

Last edited: