• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

isabg0919

SWO Candidate- OCS May 29, 2022
Hi, what did you use to study for the OAR?
There are 3 sections:
-Math
-Reading
-Mechanical

As many mentioned, all the resources you need can be found here. I bought a few books as well: Barron's, Mometrix, & Trivium Test Prep. I am also selling some of my books as they are in good condition and only took the test 1x and selected on the past SWO Board

rose1914

Very off-topic question but I am just beginning the OCS process. I just realized my recruiter did not give me the testing location for my scheduled OAR. I have tried contacting him but haven't heard anything back. Would it theoretically be at MEPS or an officer recruiting office in my area?

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Very off-topic question but I am just beginning the OCS process. I just realized my recruiter did not give me the testing location for my scheduled OAR. I have tried contacting him but haven't heard anything back. Would it theoretically be at MEPS or an officer recruiting office in my area?
Mine was at a local officer recruiting office, but your recruiter should get back to you as soon as he/ she can.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Call the recruiting office if you don’t hear back.

LGuapo

I got a second shot at the ASTB last week and haven't had the opportunity until now to share my thoughts.

First try (October): 52, 5,4,5
Second try (April): 61, 8,7,8

There was no way I wasn't going to improve those first scores, even without studying further. But I did study. A lot. So I expected to do better but I am pleasantly surprised by the jump.

The most valuable thing about the first test was that it allowed me to pinpoint my specific weaknesses in Math and also the joystick/throttle portion. For math I recognized that I had to rebuild my entire foundation of Algebra before I sharpened specific concepts, so I did that with Khan Academy (almost every day) and then supplemented that with Organic Chemistry Tutor videos for review.

I do not play video games and I have no flight experience. I spent some time with the online simulator that's been posted here but without a joystick and throttle of your own it can only take you so far. In my first try with the test I recognized that the biggest hang-up for my brain was comprehending the inverted joystick in a high stress situation. Even if you have no flight experience I think it's easy to understand that forward is down and back is up when you're in an airplane. But there's nothing realistic about what's on the screen in front of you so your brain will not easily make that connection in the moment unless you have had significant practice.

I went on a discovery flight in a Cessna the week before my test. This was mostly to reward myself for all the hard work I've put in preparing, but I'm sure it also helped things click a little in my brain concerning flight physics. I think what helped me more than this though was going to a flight simulator video game place in the mall the day before my test and just spending two hours trying to land a hornet on a carrier. Again, I do not play video games. And I didn't land the jet even once the entire time. But that was still some valuable time with a joystick.

In conclusion, if you're going for a second or third try, pinpoint your weaknesses first and do whatever you can to address their foundation instead of overwhelming yourself with study materials. Secondly, just put in the work and trust that it's working. Those of us who are not academics by nature just have to work harder to keep up and that's just the way it's going to be from here on out. Thirdly, find value in the process. None of this was a waste of time if you don't get selected. All the valuable knowledge aside, you have already forged a better character in yourself than you had before this process began. I'm almost sure of it.

American007

I got a second shot at the ASTB last week and haven't had the opportunity until now to share my thoughts.

First try (October): 52, 5,4,5
Second try (April): 61, 8,7,8

There was no way I wasn't going to improve those first scores, even without studying further. But I did study. A lot. So I expected to do better but I am pleasantly surprised by the jump.

The most valuable thing about the first test was that it allowed me to pinpoint my specific weaknesses in Math and also the joystick/throttle portion. For math I recognized that I had to rebuild my entire foundation of Algebra before I sharpened specific concepts, so I did that with Khan Academy (almost every day) and then supplemented that with Organic Chemistry Tutor videos for review.

I do not play video games and I have no flight experience. I spent some time with the online simulator that's been posted here but without a joystick and throttle of your own it can only take you so far. In my first try with the test I recognized that the biggest hang-up for my brain was comprehending the inverted joystick in a high stress situation. Even if you have no flight experience I think it's easy to understand that forward is down and back is up when you're in an airplane. But there's nothing realistic about what's on the screen in front of you so your brain will not easily make that connection in the moment unless you have had significant practice.

I went on a discovery flight in a Cessna the week before my test. This was mostly to reward myself for all the hard work I've put in preparing, but I'm sure it also helped things click a little in my brain concerning flight physics. I think what helped me more than this though was going to a flight simulator video game place in the mall the day before my test and just spending two hours trying to land a hornet on a carrier. Again, I do not play video games. And I didn't land the jet even once the entire time. But that was still some valuable time with a joystick.

In conclusion, if you're going for a second or third try, pinpoint your weaknesses first and do whatever you can to address their foundation instead of overwhelming yourself with study materials. Secondly, just put in the work and trust that it's working. Those of us who are not academics by nature just have to work harder to keep up and that's just the way it's going to be from here on out. Thirdly, find value in the process. None of this was a waste of time if you don't get selected. All the valuable knowledge aside, you have already forged a better character in yourself than you had before this process began. I'm almost sure of it.
I take mine in May are there any specific math concepts I should look up besides College level algebra and geometry that you remember.

csanfilippo9

I take mine in May are there any specific math concepts I should look up besides College level algebra and geometry that you remember.
Negative exponents, dividing binomials , cube roots, logarithms, basic probability. Hardest question I saw was about arc length but I only got a 51 oar so I would bet I didn’t see the most difficult stuff.

The2ndworst

Thank you, and on the MCT part what concepts should I look at also, and what books and websites should I study with.
For MCT just basic physics principles like force, pressure, work, and properties of gas. I didn’t really study for the OAR part, but I would recommend the Barron’s Study Guide it’s 15$ on Amazon and walks you through sample problems.

LGuapo

I saw a surprising amount of logarithm questions compared to what I've heard others say on here (I want to say 3). I encountered one matrices problem and a couple probability problems.