• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Scrandall

I just took the test yesterday and scored a 51 6/6/6 I know it's not the greatest scores, but my recruiter sounded fairly confident about them because of my LOR's (Army O7, Navy O5, Army O5), flight time (250ish and CPL), and my GPA 3.71 in flight operations. Any opinions?

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

I just took the test yesterday and scored a 51 6/6/6 I know it's not the greatest scores, but my recruiter sounded fairly confident about them because of my LOR's (Army O7, Navy O5, Army O6), flight time (250ish and CPL), and my GPA 3.71 in flight operations. Any opinions?
study and retake

Scrandall

study and retake
Ya that's what I was thinking too until I talked to my recruiter, and I was a bit confused about his optimism. he seemed pretty young, could it be he isn't familiar with the acceptable scores or just a quota or something? When I asked about the 6 he said "You will be fine. I had plenty get selected with 5s. the board sees the whole person GPA, extra curriculars, LORs, Flight experience etc."

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Ya that's what I was thinking too until I talked to my recruiter, and I was a bit confused about his optimism. he seemed pretty young, could it be he isn't familiar with the acceptable scores or just a quota or something? When I asked about the 6 he said "You will be fine. I had plenty get selected with 5s. the board sees the whole person GPA, extra curriculars, LORs, Flight experience etc."
Almost no one is picked with a 5 or 6, the average over 15 plus years is 7.x

Scrandall

I attached a screenshot of the results for the most recent board back in November... The average selection score was a 7 PFAR.

Out of 42 ProRec-Y, maybe 5 of those had a 6 PFAR. But the majority of those were selected as SNFO designators. The only two SNA's that had 6 PFAR also had 68-70 OAR and 8's for AQR & FOFAR.

Board/November 2021 - Google

Gotcha thanks for the reply.

I am planning on retaking it in a month or two, planning on hiring a tutor to help on the math section.

exNavyOffRec

On the May 22 board excel doc under the "at board" page the average PFAR for November board is 6.4. Is that number the average PFAR for selected applicants or just all applicants? Not arguing just curious as to why my recruiter was so confident.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...L3AvbDHDe-0MOAOxZQqaWkLIk/edit#gid=2070961563
also the data I was referring to was from NRC, it is a few years old but has held true and encompasses all candidates for SNA and SNFO as opposed to the ones that are on this site. We know the larger the sample the better the information we get.

parkerr91

Hey everyone, I'm in the process with a USN recruiter for a potential pilot slot. 56 6/6/7. 14 hours of flight time logged. 95% on PAR written exam. Soloing next week.

Then, the bad: 2.65 gpa in psychology, and a marijuana dismissed charge on my record from 12 years ago. I'm 30.

Obviously not the best stats, but am hoping my flight experience and near perfect score on the PPL written exam can give me a solid boost. I will also have multiple references to list in my packet.

What do you guys think? Also, let's say I get my PPL in the next 3 months. Maybe I should just wait until I get that to submit my package?

exNavyOffRec

Hey everyone, I'm in the process with a USN recruiter for a potential pilot slot. 56 6/6/7. 14 hours of flight time logged. 95% on PAR written exam. Soloing next week.

Then, the bad: 2.65 gpa in psychology, and a marijuana dismissed charge on my record from 12 years ago. I'm 30.

Obviously not the best stats, but am hoping my flight experience and near perfect score on the PPL written exam can give me a solid boost. I will also have multiple references to list in my packet.

What do you guys think? Also, let's say I get my PPL in the next 3 months. Maybe I should just wait until I get that to submit my package?

The only positive thing that will matter is your PFAR, a really good PFAR can overcome a lower GPA. The MJ charge will be a negative, how much of a negative depends on what the records say, was it dismissed as part of a diversion agreement or just dismissed due to lack of evidence? It used to be aviation was forgiving on those items, now it is a crap shoot and if they are looking for a way to cut down applicants a charge like that is a way.

The2ndworst

Just got done with my 2nd attempt.
Got a 62-7-6-7.
GPA 3.4
Age 24
No Waivers
My goal is to be NFO. Is that score good enough or worth trying to retake? I am not sure I would do much if any better.

BB Poison

Contributor
Just got done with my 2nd attempt.
Got a 62-7-6-7.
GPA 3.4
Age 24
No Waivers
My goal is to be NFO. Is that score good enough or worth trying to retake? I am not sure I would do much if any better.
Check out the spreadsheets in the previous SNA/SNFO board threads to see how you stack up compared to those previously selected. 62 7/6/7 puts you in a good position for SNFO, you should submit ASAP to make the next board and retake if you get Pro Rec N.

friedpizza12

I'm applying for the Marines and was wondering if my stats are competitive

GPA: 3.57
Major: Mechanical Engineering
ASTB: 60 8/7/8
PFT: 248 (This is the score I'm most worried about)

AFidk

dumb ensign/SNA

From what I've read, your ASTB and GPA are competitive, but like you said PFT is weak. ASTB GPA should be enough to get foot in the door with OSO and they will train you up until PFT is ready to apply for boards.

exNavyOffRec

The USMC does it a bit different, I think they also break up selections by region or at least the OSO that was in my area would only be able to submit X number of applicants. If you PFT wasn't very high you wouldn't get submitted, I had a guy they referred over who had an 8 on the PFAR but couldn't get above 280 on the PFT so he wasn't submitted.

Go get your PFT up as close to max as you can.