• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

JackieFish

Howdy, y'all. Long-time lurker, first-time poster here.

I took the full ASTB-E today, and I received a 57 7/7/7. These scores are slightly below what I was hoping for (60+ OAR and 8 PFAR), but my recruiter and a couple friends currently in the pipeline seem to think they're decent enough—potentially even for "auto-qual". Can anyone weigh in on whether or not these are competitive? I'm worried I may need to take it again, but I'm not sure. I'm shooting for SNA only without any prior flight training and would greatly appreciate some advice.

Thank you!
Auto-qual?? Is this a thing?

exNavyOffRec

Howdy, y'all. Long-time lurker, first-time poster here.

I took the full ASTB-E today, and I received a 57 7/7/7. These scores are slightly below what I was hoping for (60+ OAR and 8 PFAR), but my recruiter and a couple friends currently in the pipeline seem to think they're decent enough—potentially even for "auto-qual". Can anyone weigh in on whether or not these are competitive? I'm worried I may need to take it again, but I'm not sure. I'm shooting for SNA only without any prior flight training and would greatly appreciate some advice.

Thank you!
There is no longer auto qual it went away years ago.

shill98

How would solve this problem: "If 100 times x is between 50 and 100, then x could be?"
The answer choices are .50, .25, .75, 1.00

Fib

Here is my ASTB story!
I took my first attempt at it back in August and I scored a 45 5/6/6. I really only studied for three days prior to the exam and I HIGHLY SUGGEST NOT DOING THAT! I took it yesterday for my second attempt and scored a 53 6/7/7 after studying for about two weeks! I'm not going to get into each section because plenty of people have done that. Put the time in, blast some 80s rock into your ears, and just be confident during the exam. It will pay off so do not get discouraged if you do not score what you want on the first attempt. Thank you everyone for the gouge and good luck to future examinees! I will be submitting my package in the spring due to having Lasik done 3 months ago.

skb832

My two cents for studying for the ASTB..

Make sure you know very basic log rules and matrices. These questions are very easy. A 5 min youtube video could make or break you here.
Do the stuff in the study guide being passed around. Flaschards for the physics as well as aviation and nautical information portion. Math and physics will be fairly easy if you can do all these questions and understand what you're doing.

I would also highly suggest practicing the simulator that someone made. Get the HOTAS and use it to practice. My first time around on the ASTB I didn't practice this at all and don't have any gaming experience. Ended up with a 63 7/5/7. A few weeks of practicing that game could have helped a lot with my PFAR that I am pretty upset about.

Divine

Thanks very much .I took the OAR yesterday and scored a 39. What killed my score was the mechanical section. Most of the questions were related to car engines and ice skating stuff . I hope the app helps on my second try .

Thanks very much .I took the OAR yesterday and scored a 39. What killed my score was the mechanical section. Most of the questions were related to car engines and ice skating stuff . I hope the app helps on my second try .
Can you explain what you mean? What are the car engine and ice skating questions like?

Divine

For example .which of the following engine types uses alternative air flow in their chamber. You are will then be provided with options to chose from .
With the ice skating, it was something relating to inertia . What happens when a skater brings his hands towards him whiles skating .