• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
i want to be an aviator...i'm going in as an officer. when i get out of boot camp(if i have to take boot camp i can't seem to find info on that) what do i have to do to become an aviator

Well, first you need to do lots of reading on all of the threads here that deal with the application process and training programs. Then (and only then), can you come back and ask some informed questions. As a Naval Officer, you're expected to do the research and legwork on your own, so this is a good time to start for you. We're all here to help, but we're also not going to spoon feed it to you. Good luck and happy reading.

Brett

KW83

Boot camp? Going in as an officer? Whahuh? Start with a Navy or Marine officer website. Or Air Force if all you want to be is an aviator. You need to ask very specific questions. So to do that you should try a little more research on your own.

Gnar

i want to be an aviator...i'm going in as an officer. when i get out of boot camp(if i have to take boot camp i can't seem to find info on that) what do i have to do to become an aviator

Pending if are going for Navy or Marines you should go to their website and look up information on the program. You can go to the website(i.e., Navy or Marines) and it will help you get into contact with a officer selection officer (OSO). Use the search option on this site... it requires some digging to get information. Your question above may lead to 3rd degree burns:icon_rage. I know cause I have been there :).

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
1) Do you have or are you finishing a degree?
2) Obviously, you have internet available.... so go to navy.com and click the find a recruiter link. Then click on the OFFICER RECRUITER button and put in your zip code. You will given a number to contact a person whose job, ironically enough, is to tell people how to become navy officers .
3) Have him answer some of the mundane questions we don't want to :p

But seriously, we are happy to help you in your aspirations, but you obviously did zero research before you made this post.

An officer recruiter should be one of your first stops for the information you want. He's in the position to help you so why not use him?

Best of luck!

edit: as to the ASTB, take that after you've studied, done some more studying... woke up only to find that you've been studying while you were sleeping and then study some more. Unless you're like those freaky genius kids who don't study except for 1 or 2 days before and pull out 9/9/9 70--- S.O.B!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ok let me rephrase my question...when would i take the astb i can't find that anywhere

You're not looking hard enough. ;) My advice to you is to get accepted to a good school and do well there. You can worry about the ASTB later. There are several avenues to a commission (NROTC, BDCP, OCS (officer boot camp, if you will). If the school you end up going to has an NROTC program, consider applying for that (and read up on it as well). One thing to note is that no program will guarantee you an aviation slot. You're going to have to compete for that, and fight to keep it while you're in training. Like I said, lots to learn - start reading! ;)

Brett

Gnar

ok let me rephrase my question...when would i take the astb i can't find that anywhere

I did it through the Marines. I just scheduled a time to take it. They gave me the option of online or paper test. I downloaded ASTB gouge from this website and also purchased a ASTB study book. It was pass/no pass for me. I took the test when I felt ready. All these questions would be better answered straight from the horse's mouth (e.g., recruiting station).

pensfan341

Hello everybody,

I am looking to apply for the BDCP program and am taking the ASTB test in a two weeks. I have just started studying...but besides for the Mechanical comprehension gouge that is floating around on this site I have no other study materials for the mechanical part.

Does anyone have any advice on where I should go/look or even if additional studying besides the Mechanical comprehension study guide is necessary.

Also, I only plan on taking the OAR part of the test, pursuing a SWO or Supply officer. Does anyone know what other paths are available after only taking the OAR section. Thanks

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Hello everybody,

I am looking to apply for the BDCP program and am taking the ASTB test in a two weeks. I have just started studying...but besides for the Mechanical comprehension gouge that is floating around on this site I have no other study materials for the mechanical part.

Does anyone have any advice on where I should go/look or even if additional studying besides the Mechanical comprehension study guide is necessary.

Also, I only plan on taking the OAR part of the test, pursuing a SWO or Supply officer. Does anyone know what other paths are available after only taking the OAR section. Thanks

Get your hands on a middle-school physics book. There are also those tutor books for middle school students that break down this stuff Barney style.

Get one of those to break off the rust a bit. Also, on some concepts I did a rather unorthodox way that hasn't really been talked about on here. I would type in some of the pulley/lever and other concept problems on youtube and would find little videos helping me visualize what is actually taking place. I'm a visual learner and that helped immensely.

Just think outside the box a little. Good luck.

JSnake

Hello everybody,

Just do the practice problems in the ARCO book. Learn the concepts through the questions. If you get one wrong, don't just memorize the answer. Search and learn the concept, and you will be more than prepared for the mechanical section.

As for the OAR, if you want more practice problems beyond the ones in the ARCO book, I suggest you pick up some GMAT and/or SAT prep books and do problems in those. The questions on the test are similar in format but shorter and easier. Good luck!

Sergio6294

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the good advice that has been posted up in this section.

I got my test results back today from my OSO and they were a 6/5/6. I am trying to get the Aviation contract with the USMC. How do these scores fair typically? I know they arent great and the flight portion needs to be a minimum of 6. I only used to the Barrons book to study and I went out tonight and picked up the ARCO Military Flight Aptitude book and the ARCO GRE book for more math practice. Is there anything I should be using of should this suffice for the second time around? I really want to blow this thing away now, that I personally feel I did not do well on it.

I know this isnt the right section for this question, but what is weighed more heavily in the end selection process? PFT scores or ASTB or a combination of the two?

Thanks!

Craig M

KW83

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the good advice that has been posted up in this section.

I got my test results back today from my OSO and they were a 6/5/6. I am trying to get the Aviation contract with the USMC. How do these scores fair typically? I know they arent great and the flight portion needs to be a minimum of 6. I only used to the Barrons book to study and I went out tonight and picked up the ARCO Military Flight Aptitude book and the ARCO GRE book for more math practice. Is there anything I should be using of should this suffice for the second time around? I really want to blow this thing away now, that I personally feel I did not do well on it.

I know this isnt the right section for this question, but what is weighed more heavily in the end selection process? PFT scores or ASTB or a combination of the two?

Thanks!

Craig M

I'd say about all of it is being weighed heavily. Work on your PFT scores if you need to and for the ASTB, search for ASTB gouge on this forum. I made sure that both in my packet were top notch, and there is still no guarantee that I will get selected. Your OSO may also have a study packet to give you so ask them as well. There is ASTB gouge all over this thread and the internets, so just search for it.