• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

DeckSeaman

Question for you guys about Kyle's study guide:

Are the probability problems in his guide a realistic estimate of what I'd see on the actual exam? Some of these questions are kicking my butt. For those of you who have taken the exam, and had probability questions, what level of complexity/difficulty should I be preparing for?

YeRok

I have everything I need for the next SNA/NFO board, but I am wondering if I should retake with 52 6/7/7 ?? Seeing people with 8's and a few 9's is making me feel very self-conscious lol. I have a solid GPA and flight experience but idk if it will make up for lack of 1 or 2 points on the ASTB.
You're fine for NFO. Just apply and see.

stautz

Stautz
Hi all,
First-time poster! I just took my first ASTB attempt today for a sad 37 3/5/5.
(Also don't know if I am posting correctly, don't fry me lol)
Not the scores I was looking for nor the ones I thought studied for. I believe I overstudied questions that were a little oversimplified and I was not completely prepared for what I was about to take. My shortcomings were definitely in the math and mechanics department, but I feel as if I put the most study time into those sections. I was wondering if anyone has any more guides as far as accurate difficulty goes. Most guides I have encountered have given the answers but no real explanation, although I probably should've looked up videos. I felt a little frustrated because there were 4 loud men outside of my testing booth talking and joking the whole time which put a little bit more stress on me (not sure if I was allowed to tell them to quiet down, so I chose not to. Probably should get used to it anyway). I was also not expecting the size of the joystick and throttle, but I do not think you can practice for that so I just have to work on my reaction time. I obviously need to improve in all areas but the OAR/AQR is what suffered the most in my opinion, so if anyone has any advice I am open to all recommendations/ guides/ feedback on ways that I can make my second attempt my last! Thanks!

Hi all,
Not the scores I was looking for nor the ones I thought studied for. I believe I overstudied questions that were a little oversimplified and I was not completely prepared for what I was about to take. My shortcomings were definitely in the math and mechanics department, but I feel as if I put the most study time into those sections. I was wondering if anyone has any more guides as far as accurate difficulty goes. Most guides I have encountered have given the answers but no real explanation, although I probably should've looked up videos. I felt a little frustrated because there were 4 loud men outside of my testing booth talking and joking the whole time which put a little bit more stress on me (not sure if I was allowed to tell them to quiet down, so I chose not to. Probably should get used to it anyway). I was also not expecting the size of the joystick and throttle, but I do not think you can practice for that so I just have to work on my reaction time. I obviously need to improve in all areas but the OAR/AQR is what suffered the most in my opinion, so if anyone has any advice I am open to all recommendations/ guides/ feedback on ways that I can make my second attempt my last! Thanks!

Read my post about my score on this thread. Don't give up!

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Hi all,
Study the gouge throughout this sub forum, and study the guides posted on here as well. YouTube and google are your friend. I also picked up a GMAT math study guide which helped with the math portion. Good luck, and kill it on your second try!

mjb927

Hi everyone...I'm prepping to take the exam in a few weeks and wanted to see anyone has details on the exam guidelines itself (please forgive me if some of these questions are answered in some previous posts):

1) Just want to confirm that the test is adaptive (meaning the more questions you get right the harder the following questions will be)...correct?

2) I've also heard that being as it's adaptive, you cannot flag a question and return to it later- in other words, each question must be answered in the order it is given to you...can anyone confirm this?

3) Another thing I wanted to get your input on is whether it's better to guess on questions that you are not sure of the answer or whether it's better to leave them blank- I know depending on how the test is scored it could negatively affect you to guess. In order words- you're penalized for wrong answers but will not lose points for questions left blank (while also not gaining any points, also).

Thanks in advance for the help!

mjb927

Thank you!
1) Yes, the test is adaptive. The questions will increase in difficulty as you answer more correctly or decrease in difficulty as you answer more incorrectly.

2) Yes, you cannot return to a question later.

3) My best advice here would be to take your time and give your best effort on each question. You have 30 minutes to take the math portion but the test can end early after 15 questions if the test has identified your aptitude level. If you're stumped on the third question, you don't really have a choice. You have to answer it. Do your best to eliminate incorrect answer choices. If you're at the end of the exam, I'd be more cautious. Don't just randomly guess on questions because you think a higher number of questions answered will help your score.
1) Yes, the test is adaptive. The questions will increase in difficulty as you answer more correctly or decrease in difficulty as you answer more incorrectly.

2) Yes, you cannot return to a question later.

3) My best advice here would be to take your time and give your best effort on each question. You have 30 minutes to take the math portion but the test can end early after 15 questions if the test has identified your aptitude level. If you're stumped on the third question, you don't really have a choice. You have to answer it. Do your best to eliminate incorrect answer choices. If you're at the end of the exam, I'd be more cautious. Don't just randomly guess on questions because you think a higher number of questions answered will help your score.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

how about formulas? I’ve seen some people mention that the formulas are provided. Is that right?

mjb927

Yeah, there were basic math formulas available. The instructions prior to starting the subtest will go over them. Honestly, though, I never used a single one. I think most of the formulas were circumference and area formulas. Most of my questions were probabilities, DRT, averages, simplifying exponents, and logarithms.

last question! I took it a number of years ago when I first entering the Navy and there was a spatial apperception section that included pictures from a cockpit point of view and you had to match that to a picture of the attitude of the aircraft. Has that been removed from the test? I don’t see anyone talking about it.

Ceilertolsen

Hi all,

First time posting. Long time lurker. Gotta say that this forum helped me a ton so I gotta do my part and contribute. First attempt score: 48 5 7 6. 2nd attempt score: 57 7 9 8

Wanted to share some insight now that the test is still fresh in my head from today. Just know that this is really 2 parts: Studying the material (all of which is on this forum) and how you handle pressure/time. The test is adaptive so you should feel that you aren't doing well throughout.

Math: My toughest subject and it's what I spent the most time on. You should too. Try to cover everything and practice as much as you can. Again, all the material is on this forum. Try every problem, and if you dont get an answer choice then ask yourself if you know how to solve. If not, move on.

Reading: Try to read something technical or challenging often to keep you sharp.

Mech: A lot of concepts. Again, cover everything. Just sit down one weekend and take the entire Physics course on Khan Academy. Massive payoff.

ANIT: Flashcards. This also joined the reading list every evening before bed. Just read them every night for a week and you'll know it.

NATFI: Remember, you're an officer in the navy. You should act like one.

PBM: Try competitive online gaming with headset (I played csgo, warthunder, ace combat, etc..). This should get you used to moving both hands and listening. Also, do stuff leading up to it that you've never done before. Try a new sport or something really challenging. This should help with the pressure part. I'd also go to an old arcade and find a flight stick there because that's what they'll give you.

Remember: It's not about formulas, it's about concepts. Either you know it or your don't. Stay confident and you'll do better than you think.

pao.SD

Hey Airwarriors.

First time poster, long time lurker. Got a 47 4/5/5 first try. I am definitely retaking in 31+ days time. With the help of this thread, I did learn very valuable information that my simple Barrons book did not cover.

I am determined to do significantly better next time. Going to focus on my weaknesses, and really nail it down.

The math portion got me on simplifying complex radicals with fractional/negative exponents. D=rt, percentages like markups, cash rebates? I also encountered a handful of calculating averages of seven exams, given the first 5/7 exams were (x,y,z,...) . Got a handful of probability, and no logs or working together type questions either... Reading took a while, I ran out of time there. I kept rereading the passages, and caught myself wasting time as my mind wandered. The mechanical portion was a lot more theories then solving. Will remember that... Encountered questions I never came across in my book, or gouges here. Will readdress what I can though.

For ANIT, I was hard-headed and barely studied Nautical information, and historical events. Specific aircraft's/models for x,y,z scenarios, abc dates.. I believe I over studied on a lot of specifics from the Pilot's handbook and didn't get a chance to cover basic nautical/historical knowledge. PBM was fun. I missed one UAV, although they were in a entirely different format from what I see here.. Mine was 3-d. Dichotic and stick/throttle I messed around with.. did the best I could and had fun with it to be honest. I only prepped by playing Halo 3 Campaign inverted for only 2 hours the day prior ha.

pao.SD

I'll try my best to explain this probability question I encountered, I'd appreciate any feedback.
There are 50 males, and 50 females. There was a chart provided that showed how many M & F preferred cars or trucks, and a secondary table that showed how many M & F preferred Ford or Chevy
What was the probability of randomly choosing a girl who liked trucks, in this case was 20/50... and a male who liked Chevy, in this case 20/50.

I solved it as 2/5 * 2/5 = 4/25. I am unsure if my denominator should have been a pool of 50, or 100? Thanks in advance.

Ceilertolsen

Hi all,

First time posting. Long time lurker. Gotta say that this forum helped me a ton so I gotta do my part and contribute. First attempt score: 48 5 7 6. 2nd attempt score: 57 7 9 8

Wanted to share some insight now that the test is still fresh in my head from today. Just know that this is really 2 parts: Studying the material (all of which is on this forum) and how you handle pressure/time. The test is adaptive so you should feel that you aren't doing well throughout.

Math: My toughest subject and it's what I spent the most time on. You should too. Try to cover everything and practice as much as you can. Again, all the material is on this forum. Try every problem, and if you dont get an answer choice then ask yourself if you know how to solve. If not, move on.

Reading: Try to read something technical or challenging often to keep you sharp.

Mech: A lot of concepts. Again, cover everything. Just sit down one weekend and take the entire Physics course on Khan Academy. Massive payoff.

ANIT: Flashcards. This also joined the reading list every evening before bed. Just read them every night for a week and you'll know it.

NATFI: Remember, you're an officer in the navy. You should act like one.

PBM: Try competitive online gaming with headset (I played csgo, warthunder, ace combat, etc..). This should get you used to moving both hands and listening. Also, do stuff leading up to it that you've never done before. Try a new sport or something really challenging. This should help with the pressure part. I'd also go to an old arcade and find a flight stick there because that's what they'll give you.

Remember: It's not about formulas, it's about concepts. Either you know it or your don't. Stay confident and you'll do better than you think.

Another tip I forgot to mention:

At the end of the PBM part, they combine all the tests into one: Tracking, Throttle, and listening. I really focused on the tracking and listening. for the throttle, I divided the bar into 3rds and moved the cross hair into one of those 3rds whenever I could that wouldn't sacrifice the 1st two.

Also, writing down the emergency procedures on paper is a huge help. Be sure to do that as it's totally allowed.

Last edited:

Howler24

Contributor
Comrades,

First ASTB attempt today: 50 6/5/6. Will test in again (31+ days) to try to boost.

Math: Most difficult section. I focused on accuracy versus speed, but would make educated guess if taking too long. Word problems. D=RT, fractions, dice and card deck probably, solve for x, radicals, NO logs, calculating averages, exponents, simplifying complex radicals.

Reading: It's dry. So read Navy produced documents to familiarize yourself with structure. A ton of gouges have them. Breezed through even after carefully reviewing each answer. BE THOROUGH. They're asking for what is inferred directly from the confines of the passage, not what may or may not be true outside its confines.

Mechanical: My AP Physics teacher from high school traumatized me enough to help me out here 4 years later. I do very well with concepts and my test dealt mainly with applying concepts.

ANIT: You either know it or you don't. Barrons, Gleim Private Pilot License Book, youtube videos, and any documentary you can watch. There's a Google Drive with a document that not only covered history of aviation and naval aviation, but the construction of airplanes, their flight control systems, and the forces acting upon them. Navy Airman Guide! below. It was produced by the Navy - a little dated, but invaluable. I'll link attach the PDF below. Nautical wise, do the same. Take in as much info as you can.

NAIT: Don't stress yourself, but remember this great quote from my friend before me:.

Remember, you're an officer in the navy. You should act like one.

Authenticity in everything. Might be lesser of two evils, but just go along with it.

PBM: UAV SECTION: Didn't practice compass trick until night before and ran through it again the practice examples before starting this portion of the test. I highly regret that, as I missed 4 carelessly by not having a system down and averaged 3-5 seconds per question. Seriously, practice with the UAV flash cards out there, I wish I had. DICHOTIC LISTENING/STICK AND THROTTLE: The head lean trick works like a charm. If they ask you to listen to your right ear, lean your head right. I closed my eyes when it was just the listening portion to focus, I don't believe I missed any. Inverted joystick on PS4 was helpful, though I flew flight simulators as a kid. Still, this was challenging but fun when you think of it as a game. It gets wild when Dichotic Listening is thrown in, but focus on what it's asking. I kept eyes focused on stick and had throttle in peripheral. WRITE DOWN EMERGENCY PROCEDURE.

I'll be transparent. I studied, but was too much in my head in the entire time leading up because I din't know what to expect. I wish I hadn't and wish I had put more effort in since my scores are on the lower range of competitiveness. Here's to test two.

Here's a great guy on youtube who does ASTB and ASVAB prep on youtube, he's a good resource as a pseudo instructor to either learn or refresh on all subjects for ASTB and other military entrance exams. Link: Kieno Thomas (youtube channel).

Kyle's ASTB Study Guide
Holly's OAR Study Guide

Spring break just got extended a week while my university goes fully online. Here's to senior year.

Attachments

• Navy Airman Guide!.pdf
    7.3 MB · Views: 73
I need some advice. I tried to go the officer route and didn’t get picked up so now I’m going enlisted. I have a degree in physics. I just took my practice asvab and made a 54. I barely studied, but will definitely study a lot before I take the official. My recruiter said I can pretty much do whatever I want with the score I should make. I want to do something involving physics or electrical engineering. I have looked into machinist mate, electrician tech, and even the nuclear field. I really want to go nuclear if I’m able to, but not sure of all the pro and cons of it. What job do you think is best and why?