• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hey guys I just got an air contract with the marines as a freshman going PLC route. My ASTB scores were 6/7/7 and I’m wondering what the likelihood of me flying fighters might be with that. If I can’t fly fighters then I’d love to fly attack helicopters like the viper and supercobra but would that be just as hard?

Once you're accepted to a commissioning program, literally no one cares about your ASTB scores and they have no relation to what you might fly in the future. Think of it simply as a pre-test to move to the next stage.

jlebsock

I am getting very nervous for the OAR. I take it on the 28th. I have studied some, but I really need to ensure that I just get a minimum of a 40. I have an O5 that is my mentor who is setting me up with O5 and O6 interviews and my chain of command is also helping me submit a strong package. I really just want at least the minimum as I do not want to submit a waiver. What are some tips, last minute, for the test that you can think of? I have already searched back about 100 pages or so and have watched a lot of videos. I just feel like it is not enough. Every time I take a new practice test for the mechanical portion it seems like something that I have never seen before. Mechanical seems to be the section that I am stressing the most.
I would argue Mech was the easiest section. Dont stress over it too much if you know that you've studied what you can. Good luck!

-cheers

bntrainer

Scored a 54, 6/9/8 today. Thanks a bunch to all the posters in this thread, it helped a ton! Overall I am very happy with my scores.

In response to Rhino - From what I remember the emergency scenarios were like this -
- Fire light: Fuel to low, Power to low
- Engine light: Fuel to high, Power to high
- Propeller Light: Fuel to neutral, Power to high
As far as specific positions of the knobs, I couldn't tell ya. I just felt it out.

Study materials that I used were the Barron's book, this forum, Khan Academy (for math), ProProfs flashcards, and Google/YouTube. I probably could have done better with more studying and really nailing down some more of the math. Took multiple practice tests.
Below are some flashcards that I used that I found somewhere earlier in the forum (don't remember specifically who posted them originally). I used the compass trick of drawing a compass on a piece of scrap paper and that worked very well for the UAV portion of the test. Random thing that helped me was lowering the computer monitor as low as it could go so that I didn't have to look further down when referring to the scrap paper compass. Probably averaged around 1.750 seconds per answer.
Thanks again to everyone in this thread!

https://www.proprofs.com/flashcards/cardshow.php?title=astb-aviation-nautical-inforfmation-test
https://www.proprofs.com/flashcards/cardshow.php?title=_36014

bntrainer

bntrainer - What would you estimate your total study time to be? Just curious.

I put in around 1-2 hours a night, 3-4 days a week, for about a month. There were a few 3-4 hour sessions mixed in as well. For the two days right before the test, I did some cramming of about 8hrs on 1 day and then 12 hours the next. So roughly.... a whole lot of studying. If I could do it over, I honestly would have studied more than that. But I guess that depends on how familiar you are with all of the material already. Its been a looong time since I've worked most of this stuff.

Last edited:

maowczykowski1

Hey there! im new to the forum. I just have a general question for now.

Does anyone out there know what section each section of the trest is weighted based off your score. PFR PFRA etc?
thanks

stassirow

What did you guys use for the mechanical comprehension part? I've been studying the math section heavily with the google drives posted here. This does include the Mechanical comprehension part, but most of that is very difficult for me to understand. I have almost no prior knowledge about the subject. Do you guys have any recommendations for introduction level for me to build my knowledge on?

Use all the attachments that is provided on this thread. Also, youtube Khans Academy and I swear it goes in depth of everything.

Kbcyclist

Hi all, second ASTB attempt coming up soon (first 53 6/6/6, want to bump up for pilot). Trying to recall the correct color/direction of the knobs in the emergency procedures (green, yellow, red): Is green "highest," or "red." I think I missed the first procedure for that reason my first attempt, and have been scouring the site and racking my brain to remember that detail. Thanks (and apologies if previously addressed)

Howler24

Contributor
First post.

First, and hopefully only, ASTB attempt is February 10th. Thanks to everyone who has shared and re-posted study guide and gouge material. Averaging 2-3 hours of studying 3-4 days a week while balancing school, involvement, and work. Hoping I'm putting enough time in for it to pay off this first go around. My letter of recommendations are in and now waiting for my medical records to be released so I can get to MEPS.

Two questions.

1) I asked my OR today if I could take the BI-VR portion before my test date. She responded that she was unaware of what I was referencing. Am I mistaken?

2) Other than Kyle's study guides, gouge materiel, and Khan Academy, are there any more resources anyone has used to review for the math portion of the ASTB?

Grateful to be here.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None

Here is a program to practice the UAV section. A jet friend made this for me when we were both in NROTC. Methodology is still the same. Think of it as "if I was in the cockpit, which way would I have to look to see the target" and then choose the option on the right that corresponds. It does not have to be a fancy north/south problem or require a paper drawn tool. For example: if you are flying south, and you have to point out the east target, you would have to look 90 deg over to your left shoulder - so on the right you choose the left option. Same idea applies for NNW or SSE type problems.

Last edited:
Hi! I just took the ASTB this week and got a 53 6/7/8.

Wasn't going to post anything, but this forum helped me immensely so just wanted to thank everyone who has posted in this forum with resources and advice for the exam, it helped!

dxfan06

Hopeful SNA-Dreadful Runner
hello all! second time taking the ASTB in a week and im having just a terrible time grasping the spatial apperception section. The arrow and compass questions and such are easy enough, but i always seem to lose it with the yellow triangle type of questions. how do you determine which direction your facing? Is it the fat, wide end or the short pointed end?