• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Meyerkord

pilot
Been browsing this website for a long time and finally took the test. Sucked because I drove an hour and a half to start and it crashed halfway through but went back yesterday and completed it. Ended up with a 52 7/8/8. Majored in Criminal Justice with a 3.89 GPA from a private university and hoping for SNA. What kinds of recommendations do you all think would work best to be competitive? I have recommendations from a former captain in the AF, a former navy corpsmen/current police officer, and two former professors. Wasn't sure how well those would work. Also, what kinds of PT scores will be best?
You have solid competitive numbers for SNA. My recruiter said LORs for aviation aren't really needed since they don't look really look at those. GPA and ASTB are the most important.

As far as PT, look up the minimums for your age and gender and be able to pass those comfortably before arriving at OCS.

Leslie Brown

Leslie1234
A pot of water is boiling on the stove. As the temp of the burner increases, what happens to the temp of the water?

In my opinion, boiling water has a temp of 100 C. It cannot go any higher than that, as it changes phase to become a gas. So, as the temp of the burner increases, the temp of the water stays the same.

But this is a question about conduction of heat. So the correct answer is the water temp increases.

Your thoughts?

Hunter Sandage

You have solid competitive numbers for SNA. My recruiter said LORs for aviation aren't really needed since they don't look really look at those. GPA and ASTB are the most important.

As far as PT, look up the minimums for your age and gender and be able to pass those comfortably before arriving at OCS.
Sounds great thank you. Sorry if I quoted this incorrectly and the format is garbage. Still trying to figure this out.

Leslie Brown

Leslie1234
So I took the ASTB yesterday! Boy did it make me feel stupid. I definitely was going in trying to get above a 60 and ended up with a 54. Really upset about this but I'm gonna keep it.

By far, reading was the easiest section. It really is just narrowing it down to two choices, after that it's just rereading and making sure the verbiage matches the paragraph. The sample questions posted on the Navy website had some that were verbatim in the exam. That is the best example of the type of questions.

The math section really made me feel stupid. I remember some of the questions well. First one was like, probability of two Chicago teams winning is .15. If the probability of one of them winning is .40, what is the probability of the other. I got one that was like, in the infinite series of 1/n + 1/2n + 1/3n......+L = 1, what is N? I got one asking for the sum total if you add 2+3+4+5+6.....all the way until +123. No logs. One about minimum function on a graph or something. Huge equations to simplify and answer. like (-2)-[-3(4)-(6{3*5}3) + 6. One about right triangle integers, gave you the area, asked for perimeter. One where you plug in a number into N for an equation. Lots of simplifying square roots or adding/subtracting them. One of those problems about a certain amount of coins, like, if there were 20 quarters and the total is $50 how many dimes are there (not accurate numbers just example). If you flip a coin three times what's the probability of you getting tails. What is the 6th term in the series, where it was like 10, 18, 26, etc. Just adding eight every time. Man is paddling at 4 km across a river when the river is flowing 5 km down, how fast was the boat? D=RT questions about two people leaving at different times at a certain speed and a what time were they 400 miles apart (5 hours). One question about a car driving in three legs of a trip, first leg 60 mph for 40 mins, second leg 30 mph for 20, and third leg went at the average of the first hour of the trip. Question about something being discounted a number of times and taxed. Which fraction is the smallest, and then it gave like 31/32, 10/11, 2/3, and something else. Susan took four tests, each test was 10 points higher than the previous test. She got a 70, 75, and 80 on first three tests. She got a final grade in the class of 75. What did she get on the 4th test?

By the time I got to mechanical I really was burnt out and don't remember much. A lot of fulcrum questions where you have like 40 * 3 =10 * X. Equation for work, equation for power, V=IR one. One about bernoulli principle. One about mechanical advantage and pulleys. One about torque and which angle of pushing a wrench down is the best. One about if a screw was stuck, which point would you use a blowtorch on to get it off. If a coil was wrapped around a nail with a 1.25 amp charge, and you removed the nail and straightened the coil it was .25 now, what was the charge on the nail or something like that. If a compressed string rests at Point A and expands to point C before coming back, when does it have the greatest energy? Ice cubes floating in water are an example of how when water freezes it (decreases in weight, increases in density, expands in volume). Had one about angular velocity of a man on a unicycle. Lift on airfoil.

All of my tests went on until the max time limit. I really want to thank everyone on this forum recently and throughout the years for contributing their experience/study guides/thoughts. Submitting for May SWO board.

Congrats on your scores!

Meyerkord

pilot
A pot of water is boiling on the stove. As the temp of the burner increases, what happens to the temp of the water?

In my opinion, boiling water has a temp of 100 C. It cannot go any higher than that, as it changes phase to become a gas. So, as the temp of the burner increases, the temp of the water stays the same.

But this is a question about conduction of heat. So the correct answer is the water temp increases.

Your thoughts?
I have the same thoughts as you - I think the water stays the same temperature and any excess energy would be converted to steam.

Leslie Brown

Leslie1234
A test taker gets 70 on the 1st exam, 80 on the 2nd exam, 2/3 of 4/5 of his 2nd exam on the 3rd exam. If the professor gives 5 points extra credit on the 4th exam, and his average is 80, what was his score on the 4th exam?

abctotheabc

A test taker gets 70 on the 1st exam, 80 on the 2nd exam, 2/3 of 4/5 of his 2nd exam on the 3rd exam. If the professor gives 5 points extra credit on the 4th exam, and his average is 80, what was his score on the 4th exam?

122.3 or 122.4.

80 * 4 = 320, which is the average for everything
150 of that is for the first two exams.

1/5 of 80 is 16, so 4/5 of it is 64.

2/3 of 64 is 42.6 or 42.7

Adding these three together you have the 192.6 or 192.7 of the 320 you need.

320 minus this number is 127.3 or 127.4. Minus the five extra points will give you the score on the fourth exam.

Leslie Brown

Leslie1234
122.3 or 122.4.

80 * 4 = 320, which is the average for everything
150 of that is for the first two exams.

1/5 of 80 is 16, so 4/5 of it is 64.

2/3 of 64 is 42.6 or 42.7

Adding these three together you have the 192.6 or 192.7 of the 320 you need.

320 minus this number is 127.3 or 127.4. Minus the five extra points will give you the score on the fourth exam.

That's what I got too. I guess it is not possible for this test taker to have an average of 80. This question is a scam... You had one similar to this on the OAR right? Did you get an answer that made sense, or was it like this?

abctotheabc

That's what I got too. I guess it is not possible for this test taker to have an average of 80. This question is a scam... You had one similar to this on the OAR right? Did you get an answer that made sense, or was it like this?

Mine definitely had one like that, it was verbatim "Susan took four tests, each test was 10 points higher than the previous test. She got a 70, 75, and 80 on first three tests. She got a final grade in the class of 75. What did she get on the 4th test?"

Leslie Brown

Leslie1234
This is a good one!

An island is defended by a battery of coastal guns placed at the easternmost point of the island and having a maximum range of 5 miles. A ship, sailing due north at 24 mph along a course that will bring it within 4 miles of these guns, is approaching the position where it will be 5 miles from these guns. Assuming that the ship will maintain a straight course and the same speed, for approximately how long will the ship be within range of the coastal guns?

Leslie Brown

Leslie1234
This is a good one!

An island is defended by a battery of coastal guns placed at the easternmost point of the island and having a maximum range of 5 miles. A ship, sailing due north at 24 mph along a course that will bring it within 4 miles of these guns, is approaching the position where it will be 5 miles from these guns. Assuming that the ship will maintain a straight course and the same speed, for approximately how long will the ship be within range of the coastal guns?

img085.png

Solve for the distance from point A to point C, then solve for the rate. Answer is 15 min.

I took the ASTB today after browsing and studying off of material mostly from here and the Barron's book, and I score 69 9/7/8! I wanted to say thank you to everyone who's shared tips and study material on here, and also to anyone who asked questions since I had many of the same ones! Having taken the test now the biggest things I have to add are:

Math: Know how to do logs, factoring, and simplifying square roots, I got problems with at least one of each of these. Khan Academy was great for these topics.

Mechanical: Pay attention to the time! 15 minutes blows by really fast. I'm pretty sure I got through most of the questions but I didn't watch the time at all and actually ran out.

PBM: Don't sweat the joystick and throttle parts too much, I felt I did god awfull with those and my score was ok. Just focus on the listening part and as long as you are at least trying with the rest you'll be fine. And with the emergency procedures, there are guages that show up on the screen to show what you are doing, so pay attention to those. I missed that if it was in the explination, and I failed one of the emergencies because of it. With that in mind as long as you have the procedures written down it's not too hard.

chinky187

Cbass
I took the ASTB today after browsing and studying off of material mostly from here and the Barron's book, and I score 69 9/7/8! I wanted to say thank you to everyone who's shared tips and study material on here, and also to anyone who asked questions since I had many of the same ones! Having taken the test now the biggest things I have to add are:

Math: Know how to do logs, factoring, and simplifying square roots, I got problems with at least one of each of these. Khan Academy was great for these topics.

Mechanical: Pay attention to the time! 15 minutes blows by really fast. I'm pretty sure I got through most of the questions but I didn't watch the time at all and actually ran out.

PBM: Don't sweat the joystick and throttle parts too much, I felt I did god awfull with those and my score was ok. Just focus on the listening part and as long as you are at least trying with the rest you'll be fine. And with the emergency procedures, there are guages that show up on the screen to show what you are doing, so pay attention to those. I missed that if it was in the explination, and I failed one of the emergencies because of it. With that in mind as long as you have the procedures written down it's not too hard.

good job!