• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

buscemi53e

Electrical

I am a Marine Staff Sergeant getting ready to take the ASTB and hopefully jump ship to the Navy. I was wondering if there is still electrical questions on the ASTB, because the study guide I have from Cliff Notes don't show any of that stuff? Also, are we expected to do the actual equations for the mechanical section or is just more concept.

BullGator

I am a Marine Staff Sergeant getting ready to take the ASTB and hopefully jump ship to the Navy. I was wondering if there is still electrical questions on the ASTB, because the study guide I have from Cliff Notes don't show any of that stuff? Also, are we expected to do the actual equations for the mechanical section or is just more concept.
PM sent.

I have heard multiple times that the cliff notes aren't good to study with: either too tough of problems or problems that don't represent what is on the ASTB.

The mechanical section is almost completely conceptual. It helps more to understand some of the equations than to actually do the math out, since there really isn't much math on that section.

rbwill2

Don't kill me for already posting my scores on another thread, but here goes:

-6/6/7 55
-3.1 in Finance at Kentucky in '07
-Extremely involved in the Fraternity (and its "extracirricular" activities)
-Worked most of the time throughout college
-Studied abroud in Australia for a semester (if that's worth anything...for whatever reason people LOVE asking about the Aussies)
-Football and Basketball in HS
-Currently working at a Bank as an assistant branch manager
-Rec's from current boss, high school basketball coach and senior fraternity member (i could get one from the dean of fraternal affairs and/or a professor but i was worried they wouldn't be able to write in enough detail due to the time that has past)

jdflyer09

Took the ASTB today

Hey guys,

I took the ASTB today, Form 4, and recieved a 5/5/5/54
need a 4/6/6 for the Marines :-(

Not the best scores, but I'm pretty confident in my retake. I rushed out of the door and wasn't as prepared as a I wanted to be. I felt like the math/Verbal was fairly easy, but the aviation supplemental and a section of the av/naut gave me a little trouble. The questions I knew I would get wrong were nowhere to be found in Barron's or ARCO. (obviously not all questions will be represented) Some of the questions I felt about material that I don't think would be found in a book (i have no previous experience)...

I have looked at a lot of the gouge on this site and found it very helpful, but as far as aviation/nautical knowledge do any of you have any recommendations in order to boost my score? Go hang out at a private airport or something? books specifically for this subject?

Thanks!

BullGator

Hey guys,

I took the ASTB today, Form 4, and recieved a 5/5/5/54
need a 4/6/6 for the Marines :-(

Not the best scores, but I'm pretty confident in my retake. I rushed out of the door and wasn't as prepared as a I wanted to be. I felt like the math/Verbal was fairly easy, but the aviation supplemental and a section of the av/naut gave me a little trouble. The questions I knew I would get wrong were nowhere to be found in Barron's or ARCO. (obviously not all questions will be represented) Some of the questions I felt about material that I don't think would be found in a book (i have no previous experience)...

I have looked at a lot of the gouge on this site and found it very helpful, but as far as aviation/nautical knowledge do any of you have any recommendations in order to boost my score? Go hang out at a private airport or something? books specifically for this subject?

Thanks!
For the ANT section, I read the Barron's aviation section, and then studied all the gouges. There are some very great gouges on AW from people here (word.docs). I studied that a lot. There is also a checklist of the subjects covered at marinegouge.com where you can check what you know off. -That site is also very helpful for the ASTB and has some good ANT info/practice. There is a practice ASTB on that site and the ANT info there is highly recommended to know thoroughly. (PM me if you need more in depth help. I got a 7,7,8, 58, for reference, but felt that I could do better.) Good luck!

jdflyer09

For the ANT section, I read the Barron's aviation section, and then studied all the gouges. There are some very great gouges on AW from people here (word.docs). I studied that a lot. There is also a checklist of the subjects covered at marinegouge.com where you can check what you know off. -That site is also very helpful for the ASTB and has some good ANT info/practice. There is a practice ASTB on that site and the ANT info there is highly recommended to know thoroughly. (PM me if you need more in depth help. I got a 7,7,8, 58, for reference, but felt that I could do better.) Good luck!

thanks for the input... I wonder how it is scored, and the difference of correct questions that gives you a 5 vs. a 6.

7/7/8 is a solid score man, hopefully i will be able to post something like that in a month

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
Have you talked to a Marine OR yet? Those aren't bad scores, you shoud ask him/her about a one point waiver, I remember hearing that come up a few times on AW. Just remember that you run the risk of scoring lower on the ASTB when you take it again. So unless you make improvements on your study techniques, I wouldn't take it again. What is the rest of your package going to be like? GPA? LORs?

-ASHWND

jdflyer09

Have you talked to a Marine OR yet? Those aren't bad scores, you shoud ask him/her about a one point waiver, I remember hearing that come up a few times on AW. Just remember that you run the risk of scoring lower on the ASTB when you take it again. So unless you make improvements on your study techniques, I wouldn't take it again. What is the rest of your package going to be like? GPA? LORs?

-ASHWND

3.3 GPA at Northeastern University, havent talked about LORs yet. it was my understanding that all I need is a 4/6/6 and its pretty much in the bag as far as selection (not sure if i even need LORs? corect me if I am wrong). not sure if thats just OSS Boston, or Marines as a whole, but my Capt. said form 4 was pretty difficult and that next time shouldnt be as bad since I know what to expect...

Anyone else heard of a one point waiver? I've never heard of it, nor do I think I will need it, but would like to know more about it.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
...I rushed out of the door and wasn't as prepared as a I wanted to be...

Many people say this about the ASTB (or name some other big test). If this is the path you want to take your life down, make sure that you're hitting everything full speed from now on. Whether its the retake of the ASTB, a PFT, OCS, etc... Theres a long road ahead of you. Looking back on it the ASTB will probably be the easiest part of everything in the end (I'm not even close to the end but it only looks harder). If you feel your recruiter rushed you into taking the test, just let them know you need more time. Get serious about your preparation for this and you'll do fine. Put in the work you need. Good luck

BullGator

3.3 GPA at Northeastern University, havent talked about LORs yet. it was my understanding that all I need is a 4/6/6 and its pretty much in the bag as far as selection (not sure if i even need LORs? corect me if I am wrong). not sure if thats just OSS Boston, or Marines as a whole, but my Capt. said form 4 was pretty difficult and that next time shouldnt be as bad since I know what to expect...

Anyone else heard of a one point waiver? I've never heard of it, nor do I think I will need it, but would like to know more about it.
From what I heard about applying for a pilot/aircontract-slot, which you can take with a grain of salt, the Marines are very lenient on ASTB scores' importance and focus more on the whole person concept (as the Navy does too); this means your extra curricular activities, clubs, and other forms of being active/leadership. Point being, I would double check on the LORs as they do take about 1+ months to get back, and they can be a important in measuring the whole-person. Though, I do believe that the next Marine OCS class starts in June (then Oct and Januarry) which gives you some time.

I would ask your OSO (or another) about the LORs and 1-point waivers.

When you study for the ASTB, you will have a leg up on your first attempt with knowledge and familiarization, but you still should study very hard (and some what differently from your first time). Also, I forgot to mention that you can get the ARCO books for free online (Arco's Military Flight Aptitude Tests, and Officer Candidates books). Good luck.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Also worth mentioning:
You may take the ASTB only 3 times in your life. You are allowed to retake after 31 days of your first test and you are allowed to take your third test 91 days after your second test.

aabb

I have to submit my package pretty quick for a reserve intel slot. I started applying and there is a board in March. I have looked through the various threads but still have not narrowed if the Arco is the best study guide or the Barons is the best. Please advise.

Thanks in advance!