• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

jpiatekR35

Hello, everyone. I am a new member here. I have been reading these forum posts (and several others) quite some time. I am looking to submit my package to the 14 November 16 Board for SNA. I am currently enlisted with 9 years in, serving with the Blue Angels and am nearly completed with my OCS package. I received a waiver from the OCM for age (since I turn 29 in April), but I am having difficulty deciding whether or not I should retake my ASTB. I took it in 2011 before the test changed and got the minimum qualifying scores for SNA (AQR-4, PFAR-5, OAR-41). Now I keep telling myself that I should retake it because these scores aren't competitive enough, but I am getting conflicting answers from other people. The on base recruiter told me that I should submit my package with these scores, and others are telling me I should retake it. I worry that the scores will work against me in the package as they are now, but I also worry that if I retake the ASTB, I will score LOWER and will have to wait the 90 days to retake the exam again and by that time it will be too late. (I would have to go to OCS in January if I have any shot at SNA). I have been studying to retake the ASTB again (the next test date here is October 12). If I could get everyone's thoughts, that would be helpful. Thank you!

exNavyOffRec

Hello, everyone. I am a new member here. I have been reading these forum posts (and several others) quite some time. I am looking to submit my package to the 14 November 16 Board for SNA. I am currently enlisted with 9 years in, serving with the Blue Angels and am nearly completed with my OCS package. I received a waiver from the OCM for age (since I turn 29 in April), but I am having difficulty deciding whether or not I should retake my ASTB. I took it in 2011 before the test changed and got the minimum qualifying scores for SNA (AQR-4, PFAR-5, OAR-41). Now I keep telling myself that I should retake it because these scores aren't competitive enough, but I am getting conflicting answers from other people. The on base recruiter told me that I should submit my package with these scores, and others are telling me I should retake it. I worry that the scores will work against me in the package as they are now, but I also worry that if I retake the ASTB, I will score LOWER and will have to wait the 90 days to retake the exam again and by that time it will be too late. (I would have to go to OCS in January if I have any shot at SNA). I have been studying to retake the ASTB again (the next test date here is October 12). If I could get everyone's thoughts, that would be helpful. Thank you!

There are a few things to be concerned about, the first is that it is hard to get picked up with scores like that, now it does happen but not the best chances, and if you retake you could score lower.

The biggest concern I have is that your birthday is listed as April 2nd which means you need to hope for a Jan 1st class up date, if there isn't one then you might already be sunk, and if there is one then you need to hope the board results are released fairly speedy and there is space in the OCS class.

jpiatekR35

There are a few things to be concerned about, the first is that it is hard to get picked up with scores like that, now it does happen but not the best chances, and if you retake you could score lower.

The biggest concern I have is that your birthday is listed as April 2nd which means you need to hope for a Jan 1st class up date, if there isn't one then you might already be sunk, and if there is one then you need to hope the board results are released fairly speedy and there is space in the OCS class.

Thank you for the info! That's what I was afraid of... I've also heard that GPA and degree type factor in as well. My GPA is a 3.9 in Aeronautics. Would that hold any weight? What about interviews and LORs?

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for the info! That's what I was afraid of... I've also heard that GPA and degree type factor in as well. My GPA is a 3.9 in Aeronautics. Would that hold any weight? What about interviews and LORs?

Yes the gpa does factor in but ASTB is king, seen people with 2.8 and ASTB of 8 get in and people with gpa in high 3's and ASTB of 6 not get in and they were div 1 sports team captain

jpiatekR35

Ok. That does help. Looks like I'll be hitting these books pretty hard for the next month. Thank you for your help! I appreciate it!

FutureIntel64

Looking to take OAR on September 28th, hoping to ship to OCS soon after, anybody got any pointers. I am looking at intelligence or supply corps. I have my Master's and my GPA was a 3.7 in International Relations.. just looking for any tips when taking test and other pointers as well. Thanks

JukeboxEmperor

Wants into space
None
Looking to take OAR on September 28th, hoping to ship to OCS soon after, anybody got any pointers. I am looking at intelligence or supply corps. I have my Master's and my GPA was a 3.7 in International Relations.. just looking for any tips when taking test and other pointers as well. Thanks

Everything you're looking for has been answered before. Look at some of the more popular posts (hint hint -- this one!) and use the search bar. This board is a mountain of information just waiting for you to dig through it.

FutureIntel64

Everything you're looking for has been answered before. Look at some of the more popular posts (hint hint -- this one!) and use the search bar. This board is a mountain of information just waiting for you to dig through it.

Thanks have definitely been looking through, just got on here within last week so still looking through things.

Yankee_Doodle

So I just got my ASTB scores back this morning and am relatively happy with them. Wish I did a little better on the OAR, but I'll live with my score for now.

First off, here is my score:

OAR: 61
AQR: 8
PFAR: 9
FOFAR: 8​

Study Materials

• Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests 2013 (This was the most helpful to me by far.)
  • ASTB-E Secrets (Covers a lot of the basics, though doesn't explain them in depth. Has a good practice test in it though.)
  • Gouges here, notably Atrickpays gouge.

A lot of people here do breakdowns, so I'll do a quick one on the differences between the test I studied for and the test I took.

MST - Math Skills Test

Hot damn. Some of the questions that I received in this section were way tougher that what I studied for. I got a mix of word problems and probability questions, and some advanced polynomial expressions littered with exponents. The word problems were pretty similar to what I studied for, but I was not expecting some of the harder math problems. I just did my best and used common sense to simplify when asked. My advice, know everything about exponents (when to add, multiply, divide, what fractional exponents do, etc).

Like many others have said, take your time on this part. I finished with plenty of time to spare, and I didn't get close to 30 questions.

RCT - Reading Comprehension Test

I had a little trouble here as well. I was expecting long passages that I would have to pull information from, but instead it was short passages that you had to determine the meaning of. All of the answers were 'mostly right' with one that fit best. I really took my time here, and I re-read each question at least twice. I finished with only a few minutes to spare. I can't really advise on how to prepare for this other that to pay attention to the passage, and double check your answer.

MCT - Mechanical Comprehension Test

By far the easiest part of the OAR for me. This section is essentially exactly what I studied for in the Barrons book and gouges. Learn all of the simple machines, how to calculate MA and the basic laws of physics. I really didn't have any curveball questions on this one.

ANIT - Aviation and Nautical Information Test

This section should be a review of knowledge for you. Read up on American naval history, and naval aviation history. Get a good understanding of how airplanes and ships function and navigate. Understand runway markings, lights, common terminology, etc. This section will be a breeze if you prepare for it properly.

NATFI - Naval Aviation Trait Facet Inventory

Answer whichever fits you best. Sometimes you choose between two good choices, and sometimes two bad choices.

PBM - Performance Based Measures Battery

Oh boy, this was the fun section.

UAV ORIENTATION
This part is confusing at first, but you get unlimited practice runs, so use them. Get familiar with how to solve these as fast as possible. I tried to use the compass trick, but you can definitely be faster if you don't have to turn that paper every question. Go through the practice runs, and when you can answer them all without missing one, and quickly, go onto the real deal.

DICHOTIC LISTENING
This was the easiest part of the PBM for me. When you hear a specific command in your target ear, press a button. Simple stuff.

THROTTLE & STICK
This part is where it starts to get tricky. For me, the throttle (Thrustmaster HOTAS) was tough to use. It was sensitive, so I had a hard time moving it the same speed as my target. When the joystick came into play I initially forgot that it would be inverted (don't ask me how) but once I got used to that, I was able to keep it near the target.

COMBINATION - THROTTLE, STICK, & DICHOTIC LISTENING
This part is hard. It was designed to be hard. I think the most important part is that you keep your cool, and try your best. I focused on the joystick, and kept the throttle in the corner of my eye, and just did my best. Remain calm in this section, and don't let your errors become cumulative. I felt like I rarely hit the target, but my score says I did okay.

EMERGENCY SITUATION
This section is a nice breather after that last one. You still have to use both the joystick and the throttle, but no one is shouting in your ear this time until you encounter and emergency. When you do, just follow the solution instructions given to you on the previous page, and you will be fine. It only takes a second to implement them, so do it fast, and try to continue tracking the targets while you do it.
And that was my experience with the ASTB. It was hard, but I felt confident going in, and I remained calm for the duration of the test, and I think that helps too. If anyone has specific questions, feel free to ask.

cubuffalo

This is a totally random PSA on an old thread, but there's been lots of talk about word problems in the ASTB and I wanted to give my .02. Use dimensional analysis and unit analysis to work through problems with units. Coming from an engineering background, I've used these to solve problems that I had no idea how to solve otherwise, and I use them daily to check my answers for homework and tests.

Dimensional analysis works like this: If you are solving an equation using values with units, keep the units when you plug in the values, and then cancel the units to get the units of the solution to the equation. So if you have the problem "How far does a train going 25 miles per hour go in 4 hours". To find distance you multiply velocity by time, so d=25[miles/hour]*4[hours]. The hours cancel, and so your final units end up being miles, which makes sense, since you are trying to find distance. However, if you were to use units that didn't match each other, like d=25[meters/second]*4[hours], then the units don't cancel and you're left with units that don't make sense. This tells you that you need to convert some of these units so that they match each other (see below). Furthermore, if you've messed up an equation, you'll know because the units won't make sense. For example, if the above problem included a temperature, say 293 [K], and you thought that that was somehow part of the equation, you could think that d=25[miles/hour]*4[hours]/293[K]. But if you cancel units, you end up with final units [miles/K], which doesn't make sense, because you were looking for a distance. So now it's pretty clear you've made a mistake, so you can go back and check for it.

Unit analysis is just a more accurate, safer way to convert units. So in a very simple example, if you have the value 4 [hours], and need that value in seconds, one first finds the conversion factor for hours to seconds, which is 1 hour=3600 seconds. You can then multiply 4 [hours]*(3600 [seconds]/1 [hour]). The hours cancel, and you're left with 14400 [seconds]. This works because the ratio (3600 [seconds]/1[hour])=1. This can be used especially with more complicated units, where converting without using this method would be very difficult.

Anyway, if you want to practice using either of these, there are hundreds of practice problems for each online. Good luck y'all.

Jordan Velez

Hey guys I scheduled my ASTB-E for the OAR part for October/12/2016 I'm applying for the IP community, I just wanted to thank you all for the information that you guys have been provided on this forum it's been very helpful for prepare myself adequately for the test. Thanks and wish me luck!

I am currently in the process of studying for the ASTB Exam. I have been noticing multiple people talk about the UAV orientation and the performance based measures section. I am confused on what the "Compass Trick" is and how to use it during the exam. Any help would be great!
Currently studying the Barron's 3rd edition book along with the Military Flight Aptitude Test Book. I am taking the exam soon and will post scores once I am complete.

brina

Took my test earlier today and got a 50. Wanted a higher score but I can live with this.

Math: had a lot of DRT questions. Questions such as how far did did a jet go if it rate is 600 mph for 1200 seconds. Or what the speed of a jet given the sitance and time. Really basic DRT questions. I was waiting for questions such as one car leaves at this speed and 2nd CSR leaves two hours later going 20mph faster but I never got it. Also had exponent questions such as 5^-2. Then I had a more difficult one and my final answer was like 1/625x^3y^2.....so know your exponent rules and what to do when you have a negative exponent. Had a lot of geometry questions like 5...what height of triangle given base and area.....I received the radian questions 7pi/4= what degrees? Also got average questions I was prepared for these but I didn't get the difficult ones when they ask % of finals exams, homework and participation. Just very basic. Finding the next two score or one. Very easy. Also got a question about the shadow and tree asking. Also got probability nothing too difficult... One question dealing with dice. The math section only lasted 15 min for me and I probably answered 85-90% correct. I was surprised I received logarithms at the rate I was going but oh well

English. I did horrible at this section and I think this what brought down my score. The answers were so closely related. I ran out of time on this section.

Mechanics. A lot of spring problems and electricity. Know the affects of pressure and volume. The rate of falling things and pulley and levers. I got no gear questions.

Thanks to all the people who left previous post. If it wasn't for this site and all the study guides floating around I know for sure I would have failed. Awesome site! If anybody has questions don't be afraid to DM me.

Hello,

What you use to study the mechanical section?

Intel101

Ready too see my dream come a reality
Hello,

What you use to study the mechanical section?
Mostly the gouges on this forum and going back to previous posts and review the questions they had. Go back the last 100 pages and you will find exact questions that you will likely have on test. I can email you the gouges when I get to work later on today.

Last edited: