• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

TheDanima1

Just took the ASTB this morning, scored a 67, 7/6/6. I know I can do better, because I goofed and didn't read the listening directions clearly enough, and completely failed that part. And with the UAV, practice it as much as you can. I got maybe 5 wrong on that, so I can improve there. It was my first time, so I'm considering retaking it as I'm shooting for pilot. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Kp172015

pilot
Just took the ASTB this morning, scored a 67, 7/6/6. I know I can do better, because I goofed and didn't read the listening directions clearly enough, and completely failed that part. And with the UAV, practice it as much as you can. I got maybe 5 wrong on that, so I can improve there. It was my first time, so I'm considering retaking it as I'm shooting for pilot. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Those are great scores! You might want to see how your first board goes before you retake. 67 is outstanding and 7/6/6 are competitive, as well. Some people say you need at least 7's to be competitive but that is simply not true from what I have been told, especially with a killer OAR like yours. You have an excellent chance of getting picked up!

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
^I agree, it makes sense to at lease try since you have to wait 90 days to re-take the test and it's extremely likely there will be a board during that timeframe.

hurricane26

hey guys, fairly new to airwarriors, love everything you guy guys have posted i took the test a few months ago and got 5/5/4. i did not put alot into the studying as i should have. that being said i am taking the test again aug 3rd and i need all the ehlp i can get. could you guys point me in the right direction of books, practice test, study aids. anything and everything will be of much help.

nightflaw

hey guys, fairly new to airwarriors, love everything you guy guys have posted i took the test a few months ago and got 5/5/4. i did not put alot into the studying as i should have. that being said i am taking the test again aug 3rd and i need all the ehlp i can get. could you guys point me in the right direction of books, practice test, study aids. anything and everything will be of much help.
If you look through this thread and some of the other stickied posts in the ASTB section, you'll find plenty of information. The Barron's book, Peterson's book, and the study guide on here will be your best friends :)

hurricane26

If you look through this thread and some of the other stickied posts in the ASTB section, you'll find plenty of information. The Barron's book, Peterson's book, and the study guide on here will be your best friends :)

thanks a bunch, one more thing, do you know if their are any PDF files of the barrons and petersons book?

Saints74

As for the ASTB, I am sure you will do great on the math section. On the BIO I would just say be honest but think aggressive. The person who administered my test said before the test that the Navy wasn't looking for pilots who wanted to wait for things to come their way, he said they wanted people who were going to reach out and grab the brass ring. I went into the test with that in mind and did very well on the pilot BI.
I only took version 4
looking for good study material for the OAR section. Any ideas?

Hey everyone. So I took the Astb for the first time today after studying for about 3 weeks straight. I didnt do as well as ide of liked. I scored 44 5/7/5. I am going to be applying for OCS NFO but cant submit my package until september due to me being within three months of transfering. I was wondering if anyone on here knew if these scores met the minimums for NFO.

I am limited on time due to my age and would like to submit with these scores in sept. and hope the rest of my package gets me selected.

Thanks for all the help so far this site really has helped alot.

mb1685

Hey everyone. So I took the Astb for the first time today after studying for about 3 weeks straight. I didnt do as well as ide of liked. I scored 44 5/7/5. I am going to be applying for OCS NFO but cant submit my package until september due to me being within three months of transfering. I was wondering if anyone on here knew if these scores met the minimums for NFO.

I am limited on time due to my age and would like to submit with these scores in sept. and hope the rest of my package gets me selected.

Thanks for all the help so far this site really has helped alot.

According to this post, the Navy minimums for NFO are an AQR of 4 and a FOFAR of 5.

vardhini

I took the OAR test twice, the first time I scored a 31 and second one , I scored a 29. I'm confused, how can I manage my time very well to answer all the questions with the given time? Any suggestions please?

exNavyOffRec

I took the OAR test twice, the first time I scored a 31 and second one , I scored a 29. I'm confused, how can I manage my time very well to answer all the questions with the given time? Any suggestions please?

The test is now adaptive, it keeps giving you harder questions until you get one wrong, it basically finds out where you plateau and that is your score, it isn't time management as much as knowing the type of material they ask

aviatorchick77

Hi all,
Been lurking on this site for a few months trying to gather as much info on the ASTB-E as I could before taking it last week. I scored a 48 5/5/4..
Needless to say, I wasn't too thrilled with that score. I know that my scores are high enough to qualify (trying to go for SNA) yet I don't think they're that competitive. I am nervous to retake it since getting a lower score is a possibility.

Thoughts??

Tobe

Hey guys, I just missed the June 30 board. For the ASTB I got 47 5/9/6. Would you guys recommend I retake the test before the next board?

Aaron Starks

Good evening everyone. I completed the OAR portion of the ASTB this afternoon at the NSRC Las Vegas. Thank you all for your input and experiences as they helped me a lot with getting through the exam.

Quick background: I am a prior service AE2 with 4 years active. I will complete by BSEE from UNLV in the fall with a GPA of 2.9 (previously a nursing major that didn't go well, apparently I'm better at physical over life/biological). I've been working in the Air Force equivalent of AE since 2009 and am working on a package for AMDO. My OAR score was a 60.

Math: This section seemed like I knew what I was doing but the questions bounced around. I felt like I was going so slow, taking at least a minute, sometimes 2 on each problem and working them out fully. Probability and rates (mi/hr in given time) were the majority of my exam. I had no log problems (at least I didn't think I needed any logs). My advice on this part is don't worry about the time, make educated calculations. Obviously only doing 1 problem is not a good thing, but don't feel too rushed. I saw other people say the test stopped them before time ran out, whereas my time took the entire 30 minutes. There is a question floating around along the lines of "Mary's final grade is comprised of 20% from each of 3 exams, 10% from homework, and 30% from the final exam. If she scores a 76 and 84 on the first 2 exams, with a 72 for homework, her final grade is an 80, and her final exam is 10 points less than her exam 3 grade, what is her final exam grade?" This messed me up since I put the exam 3 grade instead of the final exam grade (yes a little bit of that put-a-likely-solution-for-confusion). But it wasn't that difficult to work out. Must have been happy I figured it out and missed reading the last part.

Reading: This was difficult since they were watching Men of Honor right outside the room (to which I'm playing out in my head while trying to read). The questions are boring and a lot of the time I thought all but one answer was correct. Sorry I can't offer more, I don't like reading very much.

Mechanical: This section is actually on 15 minutes. I didn't feel the questions were too hard. There were a few problems exactly like the gouge so it helped a lot. There were no formulas given so make sure you study up on the gouge.

I know this isn't much but I wanted to contribute, nonetheless. As questions come back to me I will update and edit. Best of luck to everyone and if you have any tips to ensure a competitive package for AMDO, please feel free to message me.