• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

D

Deleted member 31917

Thanks again for all the help I recieved on this site. I took the OAR yesterday and got a 61. The chief at the site was very impressed and called my recruiter immediately. I took version 5 and I think I did really well on both the reading and math. The MC part was very difficult and had a lot of questions I didn't see in any of the gouges. I had also studied the OCS for dummies, Peterson's, and ARCO books. There were some questions regarding pressure in engines, slope length to height regarding MA, a couple pully questions, and a bunch of other stuff. I think there were some common sense questions in there but overall it was very difficult compared to the other two sections in my opinion.
I feel the exact same way. I got a 65 on the OAR and on the same form. I guessed a lot on the MC section because I didn't see a lot of the questions anywhere on this site.

jpa140

Ah yes, that was helpful. There's a line in the atrickpay gouge that says "Know how to read a micrometer," and that's the first site I found...and hey, now I can read a micrometer. Good luck, and let us know how you did!

hey asheldon what form did you take? and was it on the computer or on paper?

unfortunately nrd SD still uses the paper version

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
hey asheldon what form did you take? and was it on the computer or on paper?

unfortunately nrd SD still uses the paper version

I took Form 3 in the El Segundo, CA office. The test was on a computer. I scored a 6/7/7 55. I've heard people complain about the computer version, but I didn't have any freezes or hangups or anything like that. The person administering the test heavily emphasized that I come get him if the computer had problems, though, which leads me to believe it might not be too uncommon :)

exNavyOffRec

I took Form 3 in the El Segundo, CA office. The test was on a computer. I scored a 6/7/7 55. I've heard people complain about the computer version, but I didn't have any freezes or hangups or anything like that. The person administering the test heavily emphasized that I come get him if the computer had problems, though, which leads me to believe it might not be too uncommon :)

He probably said that because there have been cases were the computer froze and the person sat there, because they thought they could leave the room, the system doesn't freeze up too often, but when it does you don't want a person to not say anything.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks again for all the help I recieved on this site. I took the OAR yesterday and got a 61. The chief at the site was very impressed and called my recruiter immediately. I took version 5 and I think I did really well on both the reading and math. The MC part was very difficult and had a lot of questions I didn't see in any of the gouges. I had also studied the OCS for dummies, Peterson's, and ARCO books. There were some questions regarding pressure in engines, slope length to height regarding MA, a couple pully questions, and a bunch of other stuff. I think there were some common sense questions in there but overall it was very difficult compared to the other two sections in my opinion.

That is a good score, but for non aviation like SWO they look hard at GPA, and LOR's so work on the LOR's.

AllYourBass

pilot
I would tell you to go with it and see what happens at the Jan board, should you be a non select taking it again is a reason to resubmit within 6 months.

Thanks for the advice. That's probably what I'll do. I should have two or three fantastic LoRs in addition to a nearly 3.9 GPA, so with a bit of leadership experience thrown in there, I think the package should be a good shot. If I get non-select, I'll be able to target areas of improvement (like the ASTB) and buckle down for reapplication.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for the advice. That's probably what I'll do. I should have two or three fantastic LoRs in addition to a nearly 3.9 GPA, so with a bit of leadership experience thrown in there, I think the package should be a good shot. If I get non-select, I'll be able to target areas of improvement (like the ASTB) and buckle down for reapplication.

If you are a non select with that GPA it would be the ASTB that would be the cause.

AllYourBass

pilot
If you are a non select with that GPA it would be the ASTB that would be the cause.

Absolutely counting on it :) Your advice (and my recruiter's) is to apply with these numbers. If I don't get selected, I will certainly retake and apply again.

Come to think of it, I've been so centered on the January SWO/NFO/Pilot boards that I haven't even looked into what happens if I don't get selected. Would I basically be waiting to apply for FY14 (which I imagine would be in the second half of 2013)?

exNavyOffRec

Absolutely counting on it :) Your advice (and my recruiter's) is to apply with these numbers. If I don't get selected, I will certainly retake and apply again.

Come to think of it, I've been so centered on the January SWO/NFO/Pilot boards that I haven't even looked into what happens if I don't get selected. Would I basically be waiting to apply for FY14 (which I imagine would be in the second half of 2013)?

The Jan board would be for the remainder of FY13 and some FY14

Grantspec

Pro-Rec SNA/NFO
Taking the ASTB tomorrow!! I feel well prepared.

Just one quick question... Do you guys feel like it is necessary to memorize the different classes of airspace? I am having a difficult time remebering all of these...

Thanks to all that have posted gouge and study materials! This website is such a great resource for those who are passionate about becoming officers.