• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

04 MAR 19 IWC BOARD

huskybiz

What officer fields did everyone apply for?

I applied for Oceanography/Meteorology and Information Professional.

egiv

Intel and Information Professional

Out of curiosity, why have a few of you applied Intel and IP but not CW? Intel and CW are much more closely related than Intel and IP; I'm interested if this is a conscious choice or it's due to a limited understanding of what each designator does (not a criticism - I barely knew what I was supposed to do until I got to my first command. Come to think of it, I barely know what I do now).

exNavyOffRec

Out of curiosity, why have a few of you applied Intel and IP but not CW? Intel and CW are much more closely related than Intel and IP; I'm interested if this is a conscious choice or it's due to a limited understanding of what each designator does (not a criticism - I barely knew what I was supposed to do until I got to my first command. Come to think of it, I barely know what I do now).

You have a good point, given what the boards look for I would expect people to be saying IP and CW, or just saying Intel.

From what my recruiter explained, for CW they are looking for more of a computer programming or technology based degree and I did my studies in chemistry. I kinda figured I wouldn’t be as competitive when it came to the CW position.

egiv

From what my recruiter explained, for CW they are looking for more of a computer programming or technology based degree and I did my studies in chemistry. I kinda figured I wouldn’t be as competitive when it came to the CW position.

Interesting - I'm not an expert on current requirements nor what makes someone competitive these days, but in terms of the actual job, IP is all comms and computer networks, whereas CW much less so. I've found that this is sometimes poorly sold by ORs, who are made up of non-IWC designators and don't have much/any experience working with the IWC.

Interesting - I'm not an expert on current requirements nor what makes someone competitive these days, but in terms of the actual job, IP is all comms and computer networks, whereas CW much less so. I've found that this is sometimes poorly sold by ORs, who are made up of non-IWC designators and don't have much/any experience working with the IWC.
Honestly you’re probably 100% right because I can see exactly where you’re coming from. Fingers crossed not much I can do now to change it!

exNavyOffRec

I will say if an OR can read, they can explain the designators, unfortunately many OR's don't take the time.

Critical AnalysiZ

I had too much time in service to apply. I'm active duty and just hit 6 years.