• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

02AUG2021 Pilot/NFO Board

GodSpeed1997

Quick question fellas. I was picked up for NFO and feel truly blessed to be given this opportunity but my preference was pilot. I was encouraged to apply for both but I have also read if I turn down this opportunity I will be less likely to be picked up for NFO in the future.

I can finish up my private pilots license before the next board but am not sure if I want to retake the astb as I’m decently satisfied with my 6/6/7 and am not sure if I can do better. Would I be an idiot to turn down this opportunity and try again for a pilot slot? Also did anyone get picked up for pilot and nfo? I was under the impression that you could get picked for both but looking at the list I’m not sure to is is the case. Any insight would be helpful! Thanks guys!
I say if you really want to be a pilot it would be worth trying again. I was physically DQed for SNA when I applied in May board so my package only got seen for NFO. Got pro-rec Y for NFO, and I was going to take it. However, I got surgery for my hearing, & waiver got approved and I got to submit for SNA in this board and also got a pro-rec Y for SNA. I’m glad I made the choice to submit my package again for August cause SNA was my first choice, but if I hadn’t qualified for SNA I would have been equally as stoked being an NFO.

GodSpeed1997

I say if you really want to be a pilot it would be worth trying again. I was physically DQed for SNA when I applied in May board so my package only got seen for NFO. Got pro-rec Y for NFO, and I was going to take it. However, I got surgery for my hearing, & waiver got approved and I got to submit for SNA in this board and also got a pro-rec Y for SNA. I’m glad I made the choice to submit my package again for August cause SNA was my first choice, but if I hadn’t qualified for SNA I would have been equally as stoked being an NFO.
Apparently you have to turn down your current offer in order to even submit for the next board, but somehow my OR was able to hold my acceptance/offer for NFO until I heard back from this board. So if I got pro-rec N for SNA, I would’ve still been able to accept NFO. Had it not been the case though, I don’t think I would’ve risked it and just accepted NFO. Only reason I did that was cause my OR said he’s able to hold my offer until I heard back from this board.

exNavyOffRec

Apparently you have to turn down your current offer in order to even submit for the next board, but somehow my OR was able to hold my acceptance/offer for NFO until I heard back from this board. So if I got pro-rec N for SNA, I would’ve still been able to accept NFO. Had it not been the case though, I don’t think I would’ve risked it and just accepted NFO. Only reason I did that was cause my OR said he’s able to hold my offer until I heard back from this board.

I would say the difference between you and him is that he will probably need to retake the ASTB to give him a decent shot at SNA, that means declining SNFO, you had a very good score for PFAR and a decent score for FOFAR

GodSpeed1997

I would say the difference between you and him is that he will probably need to retake the ASTB to give him a decent shot at SNA, that means declining SNFO, you had a very good score for PFAR and a decent score for FOFAR
True, I guess my case is a little different too because they technically didn’t consider me for both SNA and NFO at the same time. I only submitted my package for NFO in May and only submitted for SNA in August, where you submitted for both and got considered for both.

Lolzach69

I would say if you do not plan on improving your ASTB scores you should take this opportunity. It doesn't seem like many 6's were selected for SNA. I am by no means the expert on this but if you want pilot, study like crazy and crush the ASTB and only apply SNA.

I think you can also still keep your OCS date for SNFO and try to apply for SNA on the next board and if you're selected switch positions, there is someone on here that did that, I don't know if they are staying SNFO or made SNA however.
Can confirm this is possible, had a buddy do it

GodSpeed1997

I would say if you do not plan on improving your ASTB scores you should take this opportunity. It doesn't seem like many 6's were selected for SNA. I am by no means the expert on this but if you want pilot, study like crazy and crush the ASTB and only apply SNA.

I think you can also still keep your OCS date for SNFO and try to apply for SNA on the next board and if you're selected switch positions, there is someone on here that did that, I don't know if they are staying SNFO or made SNA however.
Pretty much what I did.. OR said I can keep my OCS (17Oct) date from May board but when results came out for August, the OCS date was not the same and I got Feb. He told me Friday that it’s still possible to keep my original OCS date, he just has to talk to the program manager so we’ll see.

Bill427

Temporary Corpus Christi resident
Despite my lack of a moustache at the moment, I got Prorec-Y SNA, super stoked. FY-22 date, so I'm not sure what my deal is regarding class dates. But I'm looking forward to working with you guys soon, and I hope those who didn't get picked up keep charging. Now if you'll excuse me I should go do some planks and buy my advance tickets for Top Gun 2.

exNavyOffRec

Despite my lack of a moustache at the moment, I got Prorec-Y SNA, super stoked. FY-22 date, so I'm not sure what my deal is regarding class dates. But I'm looking forward to working with you guys soon, and I hope those who didn't get picked up keep charging. Now if you'll excuse me I should go do some planks and buy my advance tickets for Top Gun 2.
AD will get a "date" of FY-22 until NRC get the release date from the command.

Deegy15

Aviation Structural Mechanic - Safety Equipment

I am also Prorec- Y NFO with FY-22 date. I believe for AD folks, command has not receive the email of "selection letter" yet? I might be wrong. Any AD folks have their command congratulate you guys yet?

WannaFlyHigh

So what will happen in the coming weeks/months if you have a Pro-Rec Y? My recruiter called me around the end of the work day on Friday and honestly I didn’t have my questions prepared. How long will we have to accept? Also what’s the procedure to push your OCS date?

Yokason

i read earlier about cadence push ups at OCS. I have found no information on this. Have you guys heard anything?
I saw some discussion about it, saw some articles about how the navy wanted to make the switch, but it's not the current norm. That's all i got