• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

    Go here:

    Edit Account Details and Profile

“Turbine-powered aircraft” for commercial rating


New Member
Hello everyone, sorry if this seems like a dumb question. In order to get a commercial pilot certificate, one of the requirements is 10 hours of training in a complex airplane, or TURBINE POWERED AIRPLANE, or a TAA. My question is, isn’t just about every plane turbine powered? I wouldn’t have to worry about it being complex or TAA as long as it has an engine?


Livin' On the Right Side of the River From Pags!
Complex = retractable landing gear, controllable pitch propeller, and adjustable flaps.

@ChuckMK23 would know better but I don’t think it is a requirement for a commercial anymore.


Well-Known Member
Site Admin
TAA is a requirement, however, if not complex, and plenty of schools have TAA aircraft. Due note that not all aircraft with G5s are TAA, however.


Well-Known Member
In 2017 the aeronautical experience requirements under Part 61 for Commercial Pilot Airplane ratings were updated - its now 10 hours in a turbine, complex or TAA airplane - with the highlight on the word 'or'. TAA has its own specific definition - basically means something with PFD and MFD displays. Its important for fledgling aviators to be sure your logbook includes a TAA column...

The TAA thing was a welcome change to Part 61 - people could now train for a Commercial pilot rating more affordably and with less trouble since complex single engine aircraft are a novelty - and between age and insurers reluctance to underwrite, more and more of the GA fleet are fixed gear. Thus a G1000 equipped C172 can get a student up to their Commercial and CFI successfully. And the High Performance is just an endorsement for over 200 hp. The first time a fledgling aviator finds themselves needing a Complex endorsement is with the Commercial Multi Engine add-on...

Uncle FAA considers your T-6/T-34 "safe for solo" your high performance and complex endorsement.... some of the VT's also use a "T-6/T-34 PIC Checkout" logbook stamp and that suffices as well.