• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

“Information Warfare Is a Second-Class Commissioning Community”

CWO_change

For now this should be considered a fluke. There aren't yet any viable plans to make an 1840 career path to O-6.

Unless you're speaking from personal, firsthand knowledge of the situation, I'm not so sure about that. The restriction has been lifted. And they are already allowing in lat transfers into the 1840 designator at the O-3 and O-4 as a general matter; I know an O-2 personally who was just selected for lat transfer from 1810 to 1840 and the 1840/CWE community talent manager is at least an 1840 O-4 (that may not be his actual title, but its something along those lines and that's his job) . . . the talent manager was an O-4 in 2015 and I don't know how senior he was then, so he may be an O-5 now. He says that he's a part of the "control grade expansion of CWEs." According to him, the CWE community recently brought in 4x O-4s, 1x O-5, 1x O-6, with multiple more being brought in at the O-3 and below pay grade. There was/is an August redesig board to bring in more people. It looks like they are well on their way to expanding the CWE field.

azguy

None
To update this post, it seems like the 1840/CWE community just got its first O-6:

https://stationhypo.com/2019/08/22/...S8bK28m3VSdCL22pqyQKl9rLxhkXnymFgPLti5_vqgSUw

Interesting addition to this discussion, as NCWDG may well be the most "tactical" organization in the whole of the IWC universe.

I'm split on the issue as I couldn't care less who is URL and who isn't; if Crippies and CWEs need URL status to do some cool Title 10 shit...or even just want the recognition and to be viewed as equals...go for it. On the other hand, I can't fucking wrap my head around the concept of NCWDG or any other office building or Quebec cell on the carrier being deemed a Command-at-Sea.

CWO_change

Yes, if by “staff” you also mean watchstanding on intel watchfloors, giving daily opintel briefs to the N3 or J3, nominating/vetting targets as part of the joint targeting cycle, and weaponeering for strike.

Intel culture is very much ingrained in providing the intelligence picture but not cherry picking options or making operator recommendations. It would be a BIG culture/mindset shift to start making operational decisions as intel. Both Es and Os are taught strictly to never tell operators how to do their job. We brief the battlespace. Operators apply intelligence to then employ platforms - or do nothing; it’s their call not ours.

Agree. Maybe I’ve been too broad in my terminology. When I’m saying IWC, I do not mean IW/CW/cryppie primarily. Intel is over 50% of the IWC by manpower. I believe we’ll see mainly intel Os as Quebec actual in the CWC/ IW commander afloat role.

Due to a pure numbers perspective, this is already the case per the numbers I've seen. The first post-major command IWC IW commander was a CW (the first few, I think), but that was more of a proving concept.

Switchstone

I'm split on the issue as I couldn't care less who is URL and who isn't; if Crippies and CWEs need URL status to do some cool Title 10 shit...or even just want the recognition and to be viewed as equals...go for it. On the other hand, I can't fucking wrap my head around the concept of NCWDG or any other office building or Quebec cell on the carrier being deemed a Command-at-Sea.

Is wanting unrestricted line so we can be NROTC instructors a strong enough argument? ?

azguy

None
Is wanting unrestricted line so we can be NROTC instructors a strong enough argument? ?

That doesn't make sense because 18XX is a tiny fraction of the officers that NROTC makes. Should we put a SUPPO, SEAL, EOD Tech on each NROTC staff as well?

Hail_HYDRA!

One more question...
Interesting addition to this discussion, as NCWDG may well be the most "tactical" organization in the whole of the IWC universe.

Apparently NCWDG is catching the attention of the folks on the hill, "A House Armed Services Committee draft of the annual defense policy bill calls for the National Guard and Reserve components to assist in defending the nation in cyberspace... another item in the bill authorizes the service secretaries and Special Operations Command to establish similar or counterpart “tailored cyberspace operations organizations of comparable size to” the Navy’s Cyber Warfare Development Group."

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Sounds like a fine idea. The Navy could double down on it by creating the designator 1845, which doesn’t exist yet. If they want to triple down on it, the Navy could establish a new unit(s) assigned to provide reserve support unit to NCWDG.

azguy

None
Apparently NCWDG is catching the attention of the folks on the hill...

No surprise, it's an pretty amazing organization which has brought some fantastic capabilities to the fight. Definitely an "operational" IWC unit.