• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

“Helicopters at Naval Station Norfolk damaged after strong thunderstorms roll through Hampton Roads, parts of OBX Tuesday”

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Yikes. That was a really big storm system that everyone could see coming… just get windier than forecast, or what?

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Sounds like a microburst. Cars in the nearby parking lot were fine.
Experienced one of these a few years ago at Ft Story. We had 3 Alaskan tents set up (and staked) for our FTX all side by side, ECUs, generators, light trailers, a few HMMWVs and a MAT-V on site. When the sky opened the wind flipped those 500lb ECUs like they were nothing, one of the tents decided to cartwheel across the lot (with 2 people and gear inside!). The occupants were able to cut their way out and get in the MAT-V which they said was rocking side to side from the wind. The orange safety cones set-up nearby never moved.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know that guy…he’s got an understanding CO
As anyone who's followed my posts on this site can attest, I'm very far from a guy who will accuse Big Navy of having HR practices that are as good as they could be. They don't. But based on my interactions with community golden children as a JO, by the time folks screen for command (at least in my community), Big Navy still seems to bumble its way into picking about 85-90 percent of the right folks who were left. Yes, I can point to a few clowns who've either been relieved of command or who somehow inexplicably continue on. On this forum, they shall remain nameless. But they're the reason Big Navy's HR practices aren't what they should be. There's three schools to advancement: Crush your job, kiss the boss's ass enough, or get the right timing with a boss who doesn't have the stones to make a hard call, and you're golden either way, unfortunately.

But for the most part, it's in the DH realm where The System struggles to weed out most of the toxic personalities, because it hasn't yet had a good enough filter for the people who are wizards in the jet as individuals, but who suck as people and leaders of Sailors. The System tends to struggle with identifying and purging those folks until they make O-4 or graduate from the Weapons School, actually get put in charge of peers, and then faceplant.

But that's just my own take from the sample of co-workers I've had. TL;DR, I'm not entirely surprised to see that that HAC had an "understanding" CO, but I'm also thankful he/she didn't work for one of the 10-15 percent.

Sonog

pilot
Please don't be an ass kisser... not even a little bit. It's annoying, completely obvious, and kinda gross. Be good at your job, and be a good person with a likeable personality. That's what most senior people are looking for out of their people.

Does the busy, stressed out with a myriad of issues on his plate CO see the ass kissing of a DH in the same clarity as the rest of the wardroom? I'm not really arguing here, just pointing out that all ass kissing might not be caught by your filter.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does the busy, stressed out with a myriad of issues on his plate CO see the ass kissing of a DH in the same clarity as the rest of the wardroom? I'm not really arguing here, just pointing out that all ass kissing might not be caught by your filter.
I think it honestly depends on the CO and the type of ass-kissing. All of us can be manipulated to some degree.

I know it goes up the chain, but I still really think the FITREP system would benefit from having two people’s independent takes on a person.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don’t know how to answer this. Everyone is different.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yikes. That was a really big storm system that everyone could see coming… just get windier than forecast, or what?
Sounds like a microburst. Cars in the nearby parking lot were fine.

I was down in the OBX when this went through, I saw a replay of the radar and a small cell basically went across the harbor and bullseyed the airfield. We didn't get hit too hard where I was but I could see cells from the beach that looked as bad as this one apparently was.

Last edited: