• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

“Helicopters at Naval Station Norfolk damaged after strong thunderstorms roll through Hampton Roads, parts of OBX Tuesday”

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Remember when a supercell just happened to pass over Whiting Field with grapefruit-sized hail, dent the shit out of everyone's cars, break a few windows, flood the entire top floor of the BOQ, and put most of TAW-5's fleet down for major MX within minutes?

Pepperidge Farm remembers . . .

number9

Contributor
I saw some photos on Instagram this morning that I assume was from this incident. Several ships laying on their sides, and a couple laying upside down :(

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
E3A1AD2B-B180-43E9-8E8A-FAA7A2A9E317.jpeg

Attachments

• DBFB9C46-C017-4158-B5B6-B2127DDC9377.jpeg
    DBFB9C46-C017-4158-B5B6-B2127DDC9377.jpeg
    32.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 33B1A10B-2628-493D-B4EB-34126B5743E7.jpeg
    33B1A10B-2628-493D-B4EB-34126B5743E7.jpeg
    21.8 KB · Views: 17

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
At what point, or type of damage would they send it back to the manufacturer, or is that something even done?
Based on seeing similar things happen with GA aircraft, I would think most of these airframes are repairable. However the MH-53's were procured in the 1980's and maybe this is the point that forces HM to decommision as a capability.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At what point, or type of damage would they send it back to the manufacturer, or is that something even done?
The manufacturer doesn't really do repairs, though their engineering teams may consult with the NAVAIR depot level folks, who are qualified to assess damage and do major structural repairs. Sometimes, they can work miracles. Other times, a relatively small defect in the right place can be a show-stopper that leads to the aircraft being stricken.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
A retired Big Iron driver in the office said the same thing happened in 1987/88. At that time they had Sikorsky build a new tail for one of the 53s, but in 2022... probably not so much.

The Sierra line ended production years ago. Romeo is still running, but primarily for FMS, and we already have lots of birds in preservation. IF it's as bad as it looks, I'd expect strike over major repairs.