• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Required Training and Qualifications for Reserve Information Warfare Community (IWC) Officers

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
All, please see below the required training and qualifications for all Reserve IWC officers. This also applies to those Reserve officers who are changing their designators to an IWC designator from a non IWC designator.

1542729113754.png

Are there any 1835s that can elaborate on the either-or situation for the basic course? I’m looking for the why someone would go to one over the other without more digging.

My first thought is that maybe candidates go to either school like a selection of IS’s and NECs where the 20 week school applies to some kind of INT (SIGINT, ELINT, COMINT) vice that shorter pipeline dealing with other areas (HUMINT, OSINT). Am I anywhere close?

AULANI

Are there any 1835s that can elaborate on the either-or situation for the basic course? I’m looking for the why someone would go to one over the other without more digging.

My first thought is that maybe candidates go to either school like a selection of IS’s and NECs where the 20 week school applies to some kind of INT (SIGINT, ELINT, COMINT) vice that shorter pipeline dealing with other areas (HUMINT, OSINT). Am I anywhere close?
No, you're not close but I don't know why an 1835 would want to go to the full NIOBC other than you really like VA Beach. There are no reservists in my NIOBC class. I'm not sure if there are any in the class ahead of me.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Some Reservists are unemployed and have the flexibility to go to the active course.

I am of the opinion that all Reservists should attend the active duty courses, regardless of designator. Why? It provides consistency with training and qualifications. The Reserve "courses" are pretty pathetic. I've done both the Reserve Intel pipeline and the IP pipeline. They were both horrible and a waste of time.

The Reserve leadership is finally cluing in to this. At least for new IP accessions they are required to go to the active duty course. Hopefully, all other designators follow suit.

All, please see below the required training and qualifications for all Reserve IWC officers. This also applies to those Reserve officers who are changing their designators to an IWC designator from a non IWC designator.

View attachment 20301
Sir
This is what I was given. It was from a larger document (that I was not given) that was dated 5 Apr 18. Is your document older or newer?! My document does not have the waiver asterisks on the IWBC anymore. Your thoughts on this?!

1544217030249.png

Thank you! Seeing that the reservist side gets less school time but similar course content seemed too good to be true.
Well, I'm still wondering how they crammed 20 weeks of stuff into 6 weeks for the reserve course. NIOBC isn't difficult but it moves at a pretty good pace. I'd be interested to see the course schedule laid out side-by-side to see what they compressed/cut out for the reserve side.

Hair Warrior

JO 1835
Contributor
Well, I'm still wondering how they crammed 20 weeks of stuff into 6 weeks for the reserve course. NIOBC isn't difficult but it moves at a pretty good pace. I'd be interested to see the course schedule laid out side-by-side to see what they compressed/cut out for the reserve side.
Active: 10 days for strike brief
Reserve: 1 day for strike brief
Active: Time built in for PT, PFA, etc.
Reserve: PT on your own time; course is not long enough to require PFA or really any medical stuff
Active: Tests spread out
Reserve: Test every other day, roughly
etc. etc.
Some other concepts are compressed to save time - remember it is RNIOBC

The schoolhouse has done an amazing job creating the program, and it produces a much higher quality output than the 18 months of DWEs that preceded it.

Active: 10 days for strike brief
Reserve: 1 day for strike brief
Active: Time built in for PT, PFA, etc.
Reserve: PT on your own time; course is not long enough to require PFA or really any medical stuff
Active: Tests spread out
Reserve: Test every other day, roughly
etc. etc.
Some other concepts are compressed to save time - remember it is RNIOBC

The schoolhouse has done an amazing job creating the program, and it produces a much higher quality output than the 18 months of DWEs that preceded it.
Interesting, I assumed you guys just briefed less, not that they gave you less time to prepare. One correction though, we don't have time built-in to PT. We do however get off around 1630 most days which gives us enough time to work out on our own.

Hair Warrior

JO 1835
Contributor
You guys probably briefed more cumulatively, but we briefed more frequently. I think we had either a test or a brief almost every day.

It's all good though. I'm not saying we reservists know what you know. But, I think we generally know what the Navy needs us to know as reserve officers.