• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Chances for INTEL/SWO/SNA/SNFO with Past History

BlackManta

Hello. I'm exploring options in other military branches as an Officer, and had a specific question regarding the Navy. I unfortunately was dropped from Coast Guard OCS due to failure to complete the initial swim assessment. I had tried to up my proficiency prior to heading off to the Academy, but I'm pretty muscled up and dense, very little bodyfat. It made learning to swim all the more difficult. Because the Coast Guard doesn't have as many OCS classes as the other branches, they couldn't recycle me, so I was dropped. I was given full recommendation to come back through in a later class, however I don't plan on pursuing a commission with the USCG. My discharge was purely administrative (RE-3) and honorable. I'm working on improving my swim, however I want to try and make the one of the remaining boards for FY17. I know that some branches have certain wait times for prior service, however I don't think I fall in that category. I was a civilian prior to being picked up for OCS, and was only active duty for 38 days, all for training. By all the regs (Army, Coast Guard, Marines) I don't qualify as prior service. As to my stats, I have a J.D. from a top 30 law school, and I had a 3.68 GPA in International Affairs coming out of Undergrad. I'm 26, male, and I capable of passing the PRT above the minimums, it's just the swim I'm not so comfortable with. I have a list showing when all the board dates are for this Fiscal Year, however I just wanted to get a read as to how a potential applicant like me would fare, considering my past history. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

koliver

Talk with a recruiter. I don't see why it would be a problem. I was in rotc for two years and dropped due to not earning a scholarship and I don't think that will be hurting my application.

exNavyOffRec

Due to your age you would need to be in OCS so that you graduate prior to your 27th birthday for aviation programs, otherwise SWO would be the other one you would have the best chance at.

Talk to an OR, dropped for a swim issue is probably one of the more minor things to get dropped for, but you still need to pass it, and be able to pass it fast.