• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CV Marshal stack question

Brett1

Banned
Is there a place to see the marshall pattern visually?? I am trying to understand what the layout would be in a 3d picture. Sorry for the novice question. Yes I did a search.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you understand radials off of a NAVAID (TACAN/VOR)? Marshal is defined as A bearing, distance, and altitude fix designated by CATCC from which pilots will orient holding
and from which initial approach will commence. Figure it's like a civilian holding pattern to an initial approach fix to a carrier landing.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pick a radial typically no less than 30 degrees off final bearing (but can be more depending on location...the gulf). Marshall stack starts at 6k. Add 15 to get your DME. We hold in left hand turns. Leg length is your call, you need to be inbound at the fix as you commence on time at 250 kts.

ie: "110 marshal 250 angels 6 expected approach time +22, expected FB 095, say state."

So you hold on the 250 radial at 6K feet and 21 DME.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
And you do whateva it takes to push on time at your holding fix.

I used to see the jets with burner on at night, trying to hit their marshal time when late. If I had had a burner, would have seen mine quite a bit :)

Brett1

Banned
But everyone starts their final approach from the same point, just gets there from different directions and altitude? I think I have an idea of what this is visually, albeit it may not be the same every time.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I used to see the jets with burner on at night, trying to hit their marshal time when late. If I had had a burner, would have seen mine quite a bit :)

Which is why I just make short little turns and not worry about the math so much. My head hurts from the hangover I got from the night before, so it's just easier to fly circles until using the TLAR method for commencing.

Yes, I'm a very bad pilot.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Which is why I just make short little turns and not worry about the math so much....Yes, I'm a very bad pilot.
No you're not ... you are a USN carrier pilot. You can't be "very" bad ... :)

You'll be amazed how easy holding and the "math" become the more you do it ... years of doing it .... and what was a "sweat" in the Navy became a "so what" in the airlines .... you've still got a lot of time. ;)

CVA NATOPS (maybe CV now ... does that still exist??) used to have a visual depiction of Marshall ... in fact, if you fly off the ship, you should be conversant with the whole thing.

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
But everyone starts their final approach from the same point, just gets there from different directions and altitude? I think I have an idea of what this is visually, albeit it may not be the same every time.

Everyone starts the approach from a different spot and a minute apart...the first guys pushes at 21nm and 6k, the second from 22 nm and 7k, the third from 23nm and 8k, etc. Everyone decends at 250 down to 1200' then make corrections to final bearing. We don't care about base recovery course (BRC) which is the way the ship is heading. It looks like a giant conga line at night. CATCC tends to take over and give vectors for spacing a lot or slow you down early to make the minute spacing work out.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

NO, every start point is differnet and one minute apart.

6k/21DME
7k/22DME
8k/23DME...etc...

ATC works your approach speed +/- ten or twenty knots to get proper separation, which results in a landing about every 70 seconds Case III.

Mind you, you can Marchal Case III, push, get VFR underneath, call a See You at 10 nm and land Case I, too.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Sometimes, the COD and E-2 got their own marshall radial........we often referred to it as holding for the red headed step children.