• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NO, I am not!!! I volunteer a lot of hours helping source and motivate young people who desire to be in the best educated military in the world, and most are turned down. And earlier in my career I spent years at it. What is sad, is that it is assumed that the Vice demographic, who I am told here don't care about grammar or technical accuracy, are the very people we want to recruit. I know you Flash. You have never tolerated technical inaccuracies and corrected many a poster for grammar, structure, etc. Not long ago, you took a swipe at me, deservedly, for not breaking up into paragraphs. Don't tell me you would happily enlist someone who can not compose a sentence or did not possess high standards for written communication. I was once in that position, and I never did. What has changed that we have to now?

Okay, just making sure! I think a little something was lost on the internets as it often is. And yes, technical inaccuracies do drive me nuts sometimes which is why I criticized the poor quality of the editing.

They do but that article isn't exactly high quality, I am not even sure that article went through any editing process whatsoever.

I agree, that particular article was weak. Vice does some really good stuff though.

They do have their moments being as relatively fearless for a news organization as they are, both good and bad.

Sonog

pilot
True. How are we serving the nation if we recruit people like that? I was a recruiter. WORK FUCKING HARDER! Oh, and maybe do a better job or educating our youth and setting high standards. But that isn't the Navy's job. Well unless you are going to recruit people who can read or write worth a damn. Then you make it their job and you just divert limited resources from operational training and readiness.

Imagine meeting yourself when you were 18 years old. I commend you if you don't call your 18 year old self a shit bag compared to what you've become today. Isn't the whole enlisted structure and career development designed to take these 18 year old shit bags and turn them into responsible young adults and eventually leaders? Even in the "good old days" didn't they used to take people with criminal records and other red flags that wouldn't get past the recruiter in today's climate?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The PAO shop doesn't invite journalists out to the Boat for the purpose of creating fluffy PR or recruiting commercials. Either VICE asked to come out or they were part of a gaggle. The PAO types limit what they can see/do within class guidelines but they don't tell them what kind of article to write; nor do they limit access to "politically acceptable" or "friendly" publications.

If you think about, that's probably better for the Navy, the public, and journalism.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
How much did you/do you sleep on average as a pilot/NFO?
As a former LAMPS guy (SH-60Bs) on DET on small boys (cruisers, destroyers and frigates)...I would say we easily got 8 hours (or more) of sleep per 24 hours...except for our Maintenance Officer...he probably got 5 - 6 hours of sleep per 24 hours. Since we did a ton of flying on the back side of the clock, we would often make it a point to get 3 - 4 hour "nooners" following lunch...which really ticked off the black shoes.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
I guess what I'm really asking is: compared to your SWO counterparts, how much more sleep do you get on average?
From what I witnessed on various LAMPS DETs, our SWO stateroom counterparts were lucky to get 4 - 5 hours of sleep per 24 hours...compared to our 8 hours (or more) of sleep per 24 hours.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Shoes are getting better about acknowledging sleep deprivation vs performance, but it's not anything like aviation. Rack time is still usually the first thing to go, and I didn't see much in the way of "this can wait, you need some sleep before watch." I did see a real effort made to protect a good night's sleep for guys the night before big evolutions (sea & anchor, unrep, etc), which is a good thing.

At least its not "sleep is for slackers and non-hackers, ensign; why, when I was an ensign, I got by on twenty minutes before the rev watch and a gallon of Navy Coffee," anymore.

I was honestly shocked the first time I saw a Shoe DH take a nap in the middle of the day.

Caesium

Blue is my favorite color
The Shoes are getting better about acknowledging sleep deprivation vs performance, but it's not anything like aviation. Rack time is still usually the first thing to go, and I didn't see much in the way of "this can wait, you need some sleep before watch." I did see a real effort made to protect a good night's sleep for guys the night before big evolutions (sea & anchor, unrep, etc), which is a good thing.

At least its not "sleep is for slackers and non-hackers, ensign; why, when I was an ensign, I got by on twenty minutes before the rev watch and a gallon of Navy Coffee," anymore.

I was honestly shocked the first time I saw a Shoe DH take a nap in the middle of the day.
Not an aviation question, but I assume non qual'd SWO JOs tend to sleep less than those that already got the pin?