• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Professional Reading Drop Box

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Somewhat related: [ IMAGE ]
Lencioni is good. I recommend his book Getting Naked to people who want to do management consulting at Booz Allen, where I work.

If you want any other recommendations for decent books on organizational change and management strategy, let me know.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
A balanced look at some proposed changes to Goldwater-Nichols via WOTR.

"...Change is badly needed and we should not let orthodoxy or inertia stand in the way, but neither should we pursue change for its own sake or try to fix what’s not broken. Our first commitment, as both Hippocrates and the House Armed Services Committee would have it, should be to do no harm..."

"...Awarding joint credit for any assignment — to include those in service organizations, temporary task forces, defense agencies, and joint training schools — undermines this very important function..."

"...the department needs to do a better job of awarding joint credit where it is deserved. The joint duty assignments list maintained by statute is in dire need of updating to reflect continued changes in the structure of joint force headquarters. At present, most commands resort to a high-stakes shell game to get joint credit for the right officers. Being an Air Force travel planner to an Army four-star has no greater (and perhaps significantly less) joint value than coordinating air and naval assets in a Combined Air and Space Operations Center to meet Army and Marine Corps requirements..."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
She gets a lot of flak for the billet she's currently serving in (Senior Advisor to the Secretary of Defense for Military Professionalism - AKA, the DoD ethics Nazi), but I worked directly with her for a couple years and really like her style and learned a lot about the "big leagues."

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Pretty decent commentary from Defense One:

"Having a sterile distance from the humanitarian disaster of the Syrian civil war and the rise of ISIS has helped us become a nation ignorant of the fights waged in our name and of what this country is asking of its warriors. Just see the verbal gymnastics the White House engaged in around the fallen SEAL, Keating. His was a combat death, but not as part of a combat mission, the Obama administration continued to argue. 'Secretary Carter earlier today described this death as a combat death. That’s accurate. This was an individual who was not in a combat mission, but he was in a dangerous place. And his position came under attack. He was armed, trained, and prepared to defend himself. Unfortunately, he was killed. And he was killed in combat,' said White House spokesman Josh Earnest Tuesday. 'But that was not part of his mission. His mission was specifically to offer advice and assistance to those Iraqi forces that were fighting for their own country.'

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
A pretty good essay from Joseph Thomas, Military Professor of Leadership at USNA.

Attachments

• Leader Development History Thomas.pdf
    139.8 KB · Views: 9

Pags

N/A
pilot
Good article on an obnoxious habit. A good chunk of the reason why I quit Facebook was because all of the whiny veteran/military posts. No holiday could go by without someone chastising the world for daring to enjoy themselves on Arbor Day while there are troops overseas or some such.

I didn't even know Armed Forces day was a thing until this year when I saw a bunch of posts on Mrs Pags newsfeed about doing something for someone in uniform. Whether that should be for people we've lost, vets, people currently serving and what it should be was kind of lost because no one seemed to know that this was a day. But damn whoevers out having fun and doing their own thing and not buying someone a beer or giving someone a discount on Armed Forces Day.

But hey it's Fleet Week so at least a few folks will get a chance to go get treated like war heroes in NYC.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There are tips to help girls sleep with Sailors? I would've thought that would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Seems like someone with no actual understand of what she's talking about giving advice on how to do what pretty much anyone can do by just showing up and looking clean...well, mostly clean.