• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air force ROTC vs. Naval ROTC

AF ROTC has been known to do hip-hop aerobic PT and some sort of tricycle-based PT on my campus. As in, a "big-wheel" tricycle. I have also seen AF ROTC cadets riding razor scooters in their uniforms. However it just comes down to which service you want to join.

Wake

From what I've witnessed, NROTC is generally more demanding as far as required hours per week being diverted from your college studies. AFROTC is a little more cushy and has better perks.

I'm a senion in Naval ROTC without a scholarship (advanced standing). One day after PT a fellow Midshipman and I were walking off the athletic field when an AF Colonel whispered through a chain link fence, "Psssst, NAVY! Come to this side of the fence, we have schollllarships :icon_wink"

In the end it comes down to what branch you want to join, the difference between programs are not extreme enough to be more important than the end result in making a decision.

I do not recommend doing it 'just for the experience'. Don't divert hours away from your college studies as well as funds and training time away from fellow students if structure, discipline, and physical fitness without a prospective military career is what you're after. There's got to be more efficient ways to achieve that, join a sports team or something similar. College is full of extra curricular activities.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
The only problem w/ Air Force ROTC is that you'll actually have to serve in the Air Force if you graduate. Not sure I'd do that to someone I didn't much like - not to mention my own self!

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
The only problem w/ Air Force ROTC is that you'll actually have to serve in the Air Force if you graduate. Not sure I'd do that to someone I didn't much like - not to mention my own self!

us-air-force-demotivational-poster-1243536624.jpg

torpedo0126

Hey man,

I thought of some things you might want consider especially if you are considering a career in either service. I am no expert, so I am sure someone will correct me, but these are some anecdotal observations I've made (both good and bad).

If you are a live to fly kinda guy and thats more or less what you care about (I don't mean for that to sound negatively either) I would consider Air Force. The Navy has such a variety of assets to put money into and aviation is just one of those. The Air Force has tons of money to put into flight hours. The same thing goes for the Army. I have "heard" that a lot of their warrant officers have 4000+ hours.

With the Navy, while it is possible to stay in the cockpit most of your career, you most likely at some point will be doing things not in the cockpit. With the AF, not only could you probably take flying billets your entire career, you can transition from platform to platform with no career consequences. I.E., fly C-17s at one point, then go onto fly C-130s. In the Navy, you generally stay within your community.

Also, there are some missions you will train for (this is from the helicopter perspective) in the Navy that will most likely go to the Army or AF before you. For instance, Combat Search and Rescue or something involving Spec Ops. However, with the Armed Helo mission developing now, you might see the Navy taking bigger part in this arena.

On the other hand, I can hands down say you will have more opportunities to develop yourself as an officer and a leader in the Navy compared to the AF. Just because of the fact that you will have challenging ground jobs in addition to your flying duties as well as taking billets that don't involve flying---you will develop into a stronger leader. In my opinion, the AF puts a much smaller emphasis on command. Go onto an AF base, and you will find 6+ O-6s walking around, each with a different job. The AF will have an O-6 that is in charge of MWR and hospitality, while in the Navy, you will find a LT or LCDR manning that position.

In my few years in NROTC, I saw more places in the world then several AF friends I had that were already commissioned. I know that will probably remain the same as I continue with my career.

Again, these were just anecdotal observations I have had. I am sure there are rebuttals and counter arguments but I hope I could help.

(apologies for any grammar or syntax mistakes, feeling tired this morning)

HuggyU2

None
Go onto an AF base, and you will find 6+ O-6s walking around, each with a different job. The AF will have an O-6 that is in charge of MWR and hospitality, while in the Navy, you will find a LT or LCDR manning that position.
Probably not very accurate. The average AF Wing has 5-6 O-6's: the Wing Commander can be an O-6 or O-7, and is in charge of the entire base/wing.
The Vice Wing Commander is an O-6.
Beneath them, there are four Groups, each run by an O-6: the Ops (airplanes), Maintenance, Support and Medical Groups.
That's it for the O-6's on a "normal" AF base.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Holy thread resurrection Batman, but not the video of AFROTC cadets doing stupid PT. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'd also say that as a Navy Hornet guy, I had about twice as many total hours during my first operational tour as any AF first tour fighter guy I ever met. I also had more hours in type than almost all of their "flight leaders" (2nd tour guys). So I wouldn't totally agree with such a blanket statement.

Jublov

Play Top Gun Til' the VHS breaks
Truth be told, I believe both are fine pilots and Aviators but Navy really nails it with landing on a freaking carrier, kudos to you guys and gals (Commodore) ;)

Jublov

Play Top Gun Til' the VHS breaks
I honestly thought the number of flight hours is small, especially for a fighter jet seat. I don't know how much Navy guys and gals get, what about helo aviators? Curious because I'm considering helos after flight school.