• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Asilvia22

I just retook the OAR this morning and got a 44. I am pretty bummed to say the least. I had about 2 weeks of studying as my kit got returned with the OAR score being raised. My recruiter and I decided it was a good decision to retake and still be able to make the September board (Intel). Needless to say, I will miss this board, but now I have ample study time and a more refreshed memory of what I need to work on for my final attempt of the OAR. 90 day countdown starts now.

Just a side note...I have a history of being horrible with standardized tests. I took the ACT 3 times and scored the same every time (28). The SAT I scored roughly the same twice. If you give me a problem outside the test setting I am fine. Any advice to help me break this pattern? I read questions thoroughly and narrow down my answer choices. I think maybe I start reading too much into certain questions that are actually really simple and then it all goes down hill from there.

exNavyOffRec

I just retook the OAR this morning and got a 44. I am pretty bummed to say the least. I had about 2 weeks of studying as my kit got returned with the OAR score being raised. My recruiter and I decided it was a good decision to retake and still be able to make the September board (Intel). Needless to say, I will miss this board, but now I have ample study time and a more refreshed memory of what I need to work on for my final attempt of the OAR. 90 day countdown starts now.

Just a side note...I have a history of being horrible with standardized tests. I took the ACT 3 times and scored the same every time (28). The SAT I scored roughly the same twice. If you give me a problem outside the test setting I am fine. Any advice to help me break this pattern? I read questions thoroughly and narrow down my answer choices. I think maybe I start reading too much into certain questions that are actually really simple and then it all goes down hill from there.

The test is adaptive so even if you screw up a question now and then it will find where your "ceiling of knowledge" is and that will be the score, I would focus becoming familiar with the material more than being concerned about test anxiety.

Asilvia22

I appreciate the feedback. I've heard mixed answers regarding what you just said. For an update, my recruiter just called and said my waiver was approved and my kit will be at the September board. I am trying not to get my hopes up and will keep studying to retake in October just to be safe. Fortunately, he didn't call until after I already came to terms with my score and formulated a new game plan and time line, but for now I'll be prepping just in case and watching the calendar for the board to come around.

exNavyOffRec

I appreciate the feedback. I've heard mixed answers regarding what you just said. For an update, my recruiter just called and said my waiver was approved and my kit will be at the September board. I am trying not to get my hopes up and will keep studying to retake in October just to be safe. Fortunately, he didn't call until after I already came to terms with my score and formulated a new game plan and time line, but for now I'll be prepping just in case and watching the calendar for the board to come around.

Interesting maybe they held off on the change, the thing is that old score is now invalid and doesn't exist so they will need to update you application

Paddy

Hello Everyone,

New here. First off, thanks for being here and helping all us prospects out. Quick background, I originally started building my packet last year but put it on hold thinking I was going to study abroad for a year. Long story short, couldn't find the funds to do so, so I'm back building my packet. I took the ASTB last year with AQR: 5 PFAR: 6 FOFAR: 6 and OAR: 57. Quite honestly, I was a little disappointed with them and think I can do better but my recruiter and some of my friends who are already at Pensacola training said they are qualifying/competitive scores and I may still be able to get into SNA/NFO with them regardless. I am 23, just graduated Aerospace Engineering with a CGPA: 3.22 and have good leadership and technical experience. My question may be a no brainer but I just want to hear as many opinions as I can: Should I retake the ASTB or go ahead and apply with my last year's scores? Pretty much all I have left for my packet is my Motivational Statement then it's off to MEPS. Like I said, I've heard some say I should retake it, I've heard some say to play it safe and keep what I have. I'm on track and trying to get my packet submitted for the October boards. Suggestions are well appreciated!

Armitage

Hey everyone,

I just retook the ASTB after using the study material everyone on this forum has been recommending and really improved my previously mediocre scores. I went from an initial 60 6, 5, 5 to a 65 8, 8, 7.

For those looking to improve improve their PFAR score like I was I think the biggest help for the ANIT was these flashcards: http://www.cram.com/flashcards/astb-aviation-nautical-information-test-anit-comprehensive-4718163
They're not perfect but really give you a pretty good scope of what the ANIT will cover.

To improve on the UAV section of the PBM I practiced these 'flash cards' a bit (I've attached them in a file). Again, these are not perfect but do help. The biggest advice I have for the UAV is to utilize your ability to practice during the test OVER AND OVER. I probably did it about 15 times.

The section using the HOTAS is more difficult to practice for. But some advice I'll reiterate is to write down the emergency procedures when they give them to you so that you don't forget them.

Attachments

• ASTB Practice Answers-3.pdf
    26 KB · Views: 200
  • ASTB Practice.pdf
    424.3 KB · Views: 239

Josh Berto

Hey everyone,

I just retook the ASTB after using the study material everyone on this forum has been recommending and really improved my previously mediocre scores. I went from an initial 60 6, 5, 5 to a 65 8, 8, 7.

For those looking to improve improve their PFAR score like I was I think the biggest help for the ANIT was these flashcards: http://www.cram.com/flashcards/astb-aviation-nautical-information-test-anit-comprehensive-4718163
They're not perfect but really give you a pretty good scope of what the ANIT will cover.

To improve on the UAV section of the PBM I practiced these 'flash cards' a bit (I've attached them in a file). Again, these are not perfect but do help. The biggest advice I have for the UAV is to utilize your ability to practice during the test OVER AND OVER. I probably did it about 15 times.

The section using the HOTAS is more difficult to practice for. But some advice I'll reiterate is to write down the emergency procedures when they give them to you so that you don't forget them.

Thanks for the info. Flash Cards worded pretty poorly on some (as you said they're not perfect) but they got point across. I'm taking mine tomorrow. Any OAR gouge? Mechanical/Math? Congrats on scores!

exNavyOffRec

Finally got the ASTB out of the way after 3-4 weeks or studying on and off. Studying paid of as I was able to score a 9/7/9 67. I am a bit overly hard on myself and the 7 PFAR is still annoying me! I am blaming it on the antique laptop that my OSO had me take the test on. The dichotic listening portion froze 4-5 times several seconds each. When the screen unfroze it would skip over 2-3 letters/numbers that I completely missed out on! Extremely frustrating. Either way, I'm overall content with the score I received and the studying that I did.

Study materials in the order of value (in my opinion)
1) The study guide posted by an AW member
2) Marine Gouge
3) FAA Flight Manual
4) Barons book
5) Arco book

I will not give a full rundown on each section because this has already accurately been done several times, but I will highlight how I felt each section differed a bit from other peoples' testimonies.

Mathematics:
I am a math major and did not expect to have any major issues here. I heard other people saying that the questions were easier than the study books. I think I missed at most one math question and had maybe 10 minutes to spare. But I will not agree that it was easier than the study books. Maybe it was due to getting the questions consistently correct, but the questions got relatively tough. They were much more difficult than any of the study guides, but still manageable. I had several complex questions about averages that were worded tricky and involved the use of strangely weighted grades. Had a pretty complex logarithm question, but it wasn't bad if you know your properties of logarithms. Know your fractional exponents. Study probability to some degree!!

Reading:
Blah. Used all my time. I'm a math person and reading is not my strong suit. Definitely gets tricky. My issue is that I am easily distracted when reading the long dry paragraphs. Just try your best to stay concentrated. Despite the Barons book having word knowledge in it, the actual astb had no vocab questions.

Mechanical:
The study material should be sufficient here. It is all pretty conceptual. Know angular momentum, mechanical advantage of simple machines, especially pulleys and inclined planes. Understand how gravity acts on moving objects and be able to calculate the height a rocket will fly if it accelerates up at 10m/s^2 for three seconds and then accelerates for -10m/s^2 for three seconds until it reaches it's peak. Understand Pv=nrt and know bernoulis principle.

Aviation/nautical:
Wow! I got sent for a journey on this one. I studied hardest for this. Read the FAA flight manual meticulously, knew the AW study guide like the back of my hand, and knew about everything barons and arco books contained within their covers. Honestly, I felt like I wasted my time studying here for the most part. I got very abstract questions about aircraft carrier operations and a lot of history questions that were really out there. I have a pretty vast knowledge of space exploration history and knew all the history in barons book and the study guide, but the the real test contained all history questions that were not in these study materials. Several of the questions seemed like something only active duty Navy personnel who have worked on a carrier would know. Very difficult section for me despite my studying.

UAV:
I will say it again as it deserves to be echoed. Use all the time in the world practicing. Just keep hitting the back button for infinite practice.

For the joystick portion, I've already said everything I need to about it. I was incredibly frustrated with it because it kept freezing. DO NOT get frustrated if it seems like you are doing poorly. The controls are counterintuitive and this section is extremely difficult if you go in with high expectations. It is impossible to track the plane with your crosshairs with any great degree of accuracy and you WILL spend the majority of your time thinking to yourself that you are failing. At one point I actually laughed out loud at how fast the plane was moving and how impossible the sluggish controls made it to properly track the plane. My controls seemed to have two speeds: 1) not moving and 2) moving across the screen in 0.3 seconds. Be easy on the controls.

That's essentially it. Understand the above study materials well and your bound for good scores. Best of luck to all the future takers and thanks a million to all the past takers for their input.

antique laptop to you is state of the art to the US Gov't

Hello everyone,

I would like to hear some suggestions from the experienced and any other. I am 21 and just took the ASTB 2 days ago, AQR: 6 PFAR: 5 FOFAR: 5 and OAR: 52. Similar to Paddy I asked my recruiter and he said I was competitive with these scores. I graduated in Biochemistry with a 3.85. I am also quite involved within my community. What do you guys think?

Mo_Avi

Thanks for the info. Flash Cards worded pretty poorly on some (as you said they're not perfect) but they got point across. I'm taking mine tomorrow. Any OAR gouge? Mechanical/Math? Congrats on scores!
Hey @Armitage and @Josh Berto
Good Job on your scores and good luck Josh.
Would either of you be able to advise, how many options do they give for the multiple choice for the math, reading comp and mech. Im using GMAT & GRE Critical reasoning stuff for it and practicing with a stick and throttle for the dichotic and for the PBM Game (Follow the yellow planes). I managed to make a simulated version of it on powerpoint just using the animation feature to practice the game portion. I just need to figure out how to use my joystick as an inverted mouse and that might work for practice.
Well best of luck to the both of yous.
Mo

Mo_Avi

Hey @Armitage and @Josh Berto
Good Job on your scores and good luck Josh.
Would either of you be able to advise, how many options do they give for the multiple choice for the math, reading comp and mech. Im using GMAT & GRE Critical reasoning stuff for it and practicing with a stick and throttle for the dichotic and for the PBM Game (Follow the yellow planes). I managed to make a simulated version of it on powerpoint just using the animation feature to practice the game portion. I just need to figure out how to use my joystick as an inverted mouse and that might work for practice.
Well best of luck to the both of yous.
Mo
Im also using this college physics textbook for the mechanical...

Mo_Avi

Hey AW
So I've come up with a mock version of the PBM game. Since I have no game writing skills what so ever I simply made a power point slide with an animation that runs like the game. I use my joystick as the mouse and try to follow the planes. Its pretty close i guess to what the test does. I'm practicing with this method. I know the stick is inverted and many have written that it is counter intuitive how ever I must ask and please forgive me but, on the test; if you move the joystick forward does the cross hair tracker move up or down. Same thing for when pulling the joy stick backward and pushing it left to right?
Any gouge would be great.

mb1685

Hey AW
So I've come up with a mock version of the PBM game. Since I have no game writing skills what so ever I simply made a power point slide with an animation that runs like the game. I use my joystick as the mouse and try to follow the planes. Its pretty close i guess to what the test does. I'm practicing with this method. I know the stick is inverted and many have written that it is counter intuitive how ever I must ask and please forgive me but, on the test; if you move the joystick forward does the cross hair tracker move up or down. Same thing for when pulling the joy stick backward and pushing it left to right?
Any gouge would be great.

The y-axis is inverted, the x-axis is not. The throttle axis is not inverted.

I tried to 'practice' by flying the Microsoft Flight Simulator X Red Bull stunt course while listening to an audio file I generated of random letters and numbers in each channel and responding to those in different ways. I think it may have been beneficial for the multi-tasking element, but I don't think it really helped at all for preparing for the target tracking, since the sensitivity of the controls on the actual test was very strange (as others have said, the curve basically seemed to have no middle ground -- your inputs are either very small or extremely large) and the target movements are extremely chaotic.

The PBM seems like it's testing your ability to stay cool under pressure rather than your innate HOTAS coordination skills. You will rarely be actually tracking the target, but the key is to stay calm, keep trying, and not get frustrated and flustered. I don't think I've ever seen anyone say they didn't feel like they were doing terrible the whole time. I know I definitely felt like I was doing awful but I somehow managed to pull off a 9 PFAR. I don't think the PBM hurts your score much unless you freak out and start shutting down.

Mo_Avi

The y-axis is inverted, the x-axis is not. The throttle axis is not inverted.

I tried to 'practice' by flying the Microsoft Flight Simulator X Red Bull stunt course while listening to an audio file I generated of random letters and numbers in each channel and responding to those in different ways. I think it may have been beneficial for the multi-tasking element, but I don't think it really helped at all for preparing for the target tracking, since the sensitivity of the controls on the actual test was very strange (as others have said, the curve basically seemed to have no middle ground -- your inputs are either very small or extremely large) and the target movements are extremely chaotic.

The PBM seems like it's testing your ability to stay cool under pressure rather than your innate HOTAS coordination skills. You will rarely be actually tracking the target, but the key is to stay calm, keep trying, and not get frustrated and flustered. I don't think I've ever seen anyone say they didn't feel like they were doing terrible the whole time. I know I definitely felt like I was doing awful but I somehow managed to pull off a 9 PFAR. I don't think the PBM hurts your score much unless you freak out and start shutting down.

Hey @mb1685 thanks for the feed back great feed back. How is the emergency scenario correctly played out. I remember doing it and it felt like nothing I did made a difference in the fire emergency. Ive seen some people say write the procedures down.
When I clicked the specific buttons it made no difference the fuel gauge didnt go up and the fire didnt go out...?
Perhaps im remembering it incorrectly. I took it about 8 months ago.