• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your take on UAV's impact

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
4x GBU-54's, 8xAGM-114P/P+/R with their new racks, with 12hrs TOS.

If you get the chance, ask the VMU-1 CO why he left the VMA world for the VMU....

What happens if it loses the link, or needs to go to another province, or runs into any threats other than some dudes with AK's and RPG's, or.....?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
At the Five-Sided-Pizza-Hut on the Potomac it is all about unmanned capability...
FIFY

break break

My $0.02: all DoD drones should be operated exclusively by enlisted members, incl. warrants. There should be an entirely separate training pipeline that includes some extra training modules (adv. robotics) and omits others (SERE). Drone wings should be a different warfare pin, too. If anything, this exclusivity would lure more recruits from the Xbox generation.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
What happens if it loses the link, or needs to go to another province, or runs into any threats other than some dudes with AK's and RPG's, or.....?

Probably the same thing that currently happens to them...

Treetop Flyer

pilot
4x GBU-54's, 8xAGM-114P/P+/R with their new racks, with 12hrs TOS.

If you get the chance, ask the VMU-1 CO why he left the VMA world for the VMU.

You really like to troll me dude...
Trolling you? No, I call you out when you say stupid shit. 4 500lb weapons and eight hellfire and 12 hrs is pretty impressive. Is it true this time or is it utter bullshit like the last time we played this game? Remember your AMRAAM argument?

I have no clue who the CO of VMU-Whatever is or how he wound up there. Hopefully he's not there because he wants to control reapers. I do know a harrier dude that was selected for VMU command and told them to fuck off. Is that any more relevant to this discussion?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Probably the same thing that currently happens to them...

Splat!

predatorcrash-l.jpg

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
That's the load often used against our current flavor of shitheads. Id love to make a comment about P-3's, but seriously wheres the sport in that?

Actually that was a legitimate question... insecure much?

I had heard a rack to carry more was in development but didn't realize it had been fielded. Is there an onstation time penalty for carrying that many?

Being able to carry six is probably useful for pre planned strikes but a longer on station time would probably have been a better investment make your platform more relavent in other scenarios- but at least the Marine Corps is investing in one of its tacair communities. At the rate things were going it sounded like you guys were going to have to take the Olympic approach (Disband as a community and come back in 4 years) to things like the Brits have in so many of their communities...

If you ever need material to make comments P-3s feel free to fine me- I'll be at the bar.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Actually that was a legitimate question... insecure much?

I had heard a rack to carry more was in development but didn't realize it had been fielded. Is there an onstation time penalty for carrying that many?

Being able to carry six is probably useful for pre planned strikes but a longer on station time would probably have been a better investment make your platform more relavent in other scenarios- but at least the Marine Corps is investing in one of its tacair communities. At the rate things were going it sounded like you guys were going to have to take the Olympic approach (Disband as a community and come back in 4 years) to things like the Brits have in so many of their communities...

If you ever need material to make comments P-3s feel free to fine me- I'll be at the bar.
I don't mind people regurgitating the same jokes, but I didn't think this was that type of thread, and you apparently actually believe it. Its not worth explaining to you.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
That's the load often used against our current flavor of shitheads. Id love to make a comment about P-3's, but seriously wheres the sport in that?

Aside from wang-measuring contest... The real question I'm wondering is... Do you pickle all 6 GBU-54s before coming back to the boat or...

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Dammit Fester... whose side are you on?

ETA: That's not an attack platform. ;)

No, but it has the last air-to-air kill of a Naval aircraft;).

As far as the topic of this thread, as much as I hate to admit, UASs have a lot of potential in the fleet but I don't think we'll see them in much of an attack role other than what we've seen to date. The fleet integration we're going to be seeing will be for the more "monotonous" jobs, like ISR (Triton) and tanking (Stingray?). Once the Navy is comfortable with Ops with those platforms and they prove themselves, then they'll look to more advanced offerings. Again, these platforms have to prove themselves first.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
No, but it has the last air-to-air kill of a Naval aircraft;).

As far as the topic of this thread, as much as I hate to admit, UASs have a lot of potential in the fleet but I don't think we'll see them in much of an attack role other than what we've seen to date. The fleet integration we're going to be seeing will be for the more "monotonous" jobs, like ISR (Triton) and tanking (Stingray?). Once the Navy is comfortable with Ops with those platforms and they prove themselves, then they'll look to more advanced offerings. Again, these platforms have to prove themselves first.
Do firing and scouting qualify as monotonous, too? (Guitar solo not included.)