• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your take on UAV's impact

texags

pilot
Gentlemens -
I am one of the Corps' most recent wingers-turned-unmanned-aviators, so am probably one of the most qualified to speak on the subject on the Green-side of the house.
1. "Should flying robots ever transport humans?" Good question. If the human passengers want to travel aboard an aircraft that has a 50% higher safety rating (uncited statistic) than its manned counterparts,

yea.... if you could provide a source for that... that would be greatttttttt

Until then I call BS

Anyone know for sure if they are actively recruiting Pilots/Fos for VUP-19 and if they're taking from other communities or just selecting out of VT4? I heard there was a VUP push for people but that was just through word of mouth.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Here is one way to look at it. During my last Afghanistan tour I worked with an MTT. The only fixed wing air support we got was from unmanned. On more than one occasion a drone stayed on station for over 8 hours during nocturnal disagreements. The only manned air cover we saw was from AH-64s.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone know for sure if they are actively recruiting Pilots/Fos for VUP-19 and if they're taking from other communities or just selecting out of VT4? I heard there was a VUP push for people but that was just through word of mouth.

No Navy folks are selecting UAV's out of flight school as of yet (unless that has changed very recently) and I doubt that happens for a long time. From what CommodoreMid has said MQ-4's will be a tour for folks who have already done a P-3/8 tour already.

Here is one way to look at it. During my last Afghanistan tour I worked with an MTT. The only fixed wing air support we got was from unmanned. On more than one occasion a drone stayed on station for over 8 hours during nocturnal disagreements. The only manned air cover we saw was from AH-64s.

For a low threat environment like Afghanistan with small-scale engagements that is fine but higher that and with more intense fighting you want something that can fight back a carry a bigger punch manned aircraft are your better option.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

No Navy folks are selecting UAV's out of flight school as of yet (unless that has changed very recently) and I doubt that happens for a long time. From what CommodoreMid has said MQ-4's will be a tour for folks who have already done a P-3/8 tour already.

That's still the plan, far as I'm aware. I just affiliated with VUP-19's SAU so I'm sure I'll get to see the further churn on that plan.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
For a low threat environment like Afghanistan with small-scale engagements that is fine but higher that and with more intense fighting you want something that can fight back a carry a bigger punch manned aircraft are your better option.

Maybe, but the truth is this isn't coming, it is here. The F-35 is a K Street nightmare here in DC. People actually laugh at the posters at the Pentagon stop and there is likely little stomach for a replacement system. At the Five-Sided-War-Hut on the Potomac it is all about unmanned capability that extends well beyond aerial platforms. I thinks guys in tactical or strategic air transport and rotor-guys have a future, but in the very near future Maverick and Goose will work out of a building, not a cockpit. Of course, this is all opinion based...but somewhat supported by SECNAV.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe, but the truth is this isn't coming, it is here. The F-35 is a K Street nightmare here in DC. People actually laugh at the posters at the Pentagon stop and there is likely little stomach for a replacement system. At the Five-Sided-War-Hut on the Potomac it is all about unmanned capability that extends well beyond aerial platforms. I thinks guys in tactical or strategic air transport and rotor-guys have a future, but in the very near future Maverick and Goose will work out of a building, not a cockpit. Of course, this is all opinion based...but somewhat supported by SECNAV.

As I have said here on this board several times those dreams will run into the hard reality of a dense EW environment that will make unmanned combat aircraft in a contested environment nothing more than a pipe dream for at least a generation or two, if not longer. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know or willfully ignores the current and near future threats we are facing from our 'near peer' adversaries.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Depends on the aircraft. A SCL Reaper vs Harrier, the scale tips to the Reaper. Unless you just want the gun. In that case you're 50/50 whether the Harrier will have it or not. The same could be said about the F-35B model as well.

But I am picking up what you're putting down.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Manned aircraft don't get hacked and forced to land in an enemy country.

Just sayin' ;)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Manned aircraft don't get hacked and forced to land in an enemy country.

Just sayin' ;)

I'll just leave this here.

EP-3_Hainan_Island_2001.jpg

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Dammit Fester... whose side are you on?

ETA: That's not an attack platform. ;)

Last edited:

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Depends on the aircraft. A SCL Reaper vs Harrier, the scale tips to the Reaper. Unless you just want the gun. In that case you're 50/50 whether the Harrier will have it or not. The same could be said about the F-35B model as well.

But I am picking up what you're putting down.
Reapers carry six GBU-54's? Also, if people want the gun, harriers will have it. They don't flip a coin before deciding to hang guns.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Reapers carry six GBU-54's? Also, if people want the gun, harriers will have it. They don't flip a coin before deciding to hang guns.

4x GBU-54's, 8xAGM-114P/P+/R with their new racks, with 12hrs TOS.

If you get the chance, ask the VMU-1 CO why he left the VMA world for the VMU.

You really like to troll me dude...