• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your retirement plans . . .

Mirage

pilot
Criticism is encouraged. It's calling people assholes that is frowned upon. Please take note of it.
Can you just refer me to the text, or copy paste the rule?

Edit: nevermind, found it: "While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts."

Please take note of it.

Last edited:

robav8r

None
Contributor
Slight thread jack - what are everyone's thoughts on retiring/living overseas? One of my HSL HACs lives with his wife in Italy and they love it. I believe his last AD job was in Naples and then he took a GS job. When the Zombies are unleashed, wondering if living on a Norwegian Fjord or a Ted Kaczynski cabin in Northern Canada might be worth considering . . .

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Slight thread jack - what are everyone's thoughts on retiring/living overseas? One of my HSL HACs lives with his wife in Italy and they love it. I believe his last AD job was in Naples and then he took a GS job. When the Zombies are unleashed, wondering if living on a Norwegian Fjord or a Ted Kaczynski cabin in Northern Canada might be worth considering . . .
I’ve thought about it, but both the spouse and I have living parents so the logistics get difficult. Still, the idea is nice.

Mirage

pilot
Might backfire...
White_Walker-Game_of_Thrones-S02-E10.jpg

hscs

pilot
If you need statins and they don't cause side effects, you should take statins. They're very effective and many people won't see a significant change in their LDL with changes to diet and exercise.

Ask your doctor if statins are right for you.
i think you might have a future in pharmaceutical sales.

exNavyOffRec

Lost a college classmate to skin cancer when he was about 45 and right about the same time I got a spot on me checked that hadn't quite healed after 8 months, doc found a small spot of basil skin carcinoma. Now many of my classmates and I get 'naked for Nate' every year.

Next up is a colonoscopy, recommended now starting at 45 years old. All of this reminds me, gotta make sure those damn kids stay off my lawn when I get home...
I am on the list to get my colonoscopy done, again, this is the third time I will try. First time they never called or emailed, second time we got close and they needed 1 bit of info but after 2 months of calling each week I gave up, now I have another consult in and they are telling me to plan on a 6 month wait. This is one of those things I am not looking forward to doing but I know I need to do it.

exNavyOffRec

Surprised no one talked about having/adding real estate to their (retirement) portfolio's.
I had a rental property years ago and sold it as I was never going to go back to where it was. Now where I live I wouldn't mess with rental property I know too many people who have rental properties or are property managers and in WA a bad renter can take nearly a year to get out of your house.

OscarMyers

None
Dude, your liver and your genetics are, largely, responsible for your LDL levels, not because you ate too much bacon in your 40s. Seriously, take the statins. It’s literally the easiest and most consequential thing you can do to prevent heart disease.
Any personal experience? Doc had me try atorvastatin last year and it made me feel super run down and shitty all the time.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any personal experience? Doc had me try atorvastatin last year and it made me feel super run down and shitty all the time.
I've been on Zocor for 15 years, no side effects at all. There are a bunch of different statins, and a couple newer non-statins for LDL control. See if there are other options for you. You might tolerate a lower dose and still get a lot of the benefit.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

If sponsored FB content is any judge, it would seem that there are a lot of cool and very affordable properties in rural Italy at the moment. I don't know any of the details, but I assume if you aren't a cash buyer, there are a lot of potential pitfalls based on the way most of the rest of the world handles mortgages and interest rates. But a few have piqued my interest. Farm house with pool and fun Italian village for 450k Euro. Fun stuff

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Based on the amount of retirees bumming around southern Germany, retiring here doesn’t seem like a terrible option. Most seem to have gone from active duty to a contractor or GS job on one of the staffs and then retired out of that.

I think you’d have to consider your tolerance for dealing with foreign bureaucracy, especially if you don’t speak the language. I speak German and it can still be a pain working through dealings with local government. I have no concept for the tax considerations if I retired here, but I assume it would be painful.

I’d also think about how important it is to you to be able to access military healthcare/base amenities. That’s definitely easier in Italy and Germany, not so much on your Norwegian fjord.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
We (or the wife) have property in the PI. It's been discussed but I have no confidence in their medical system. I have some of the best medical care in the world right here.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
No there isn't. Did Ward Carrol cover that on his YouTube channel?

Of course you have. You're the poster child for Dunning-Kruger on this site.
Ahh yes. You have given your argument an inoculation by siting Dunning-Kruger, while simultaneously insulting your foe. This is nothing more than a thinly vailed ad hominem attack. What you have said is, "You're stupid and don't know it. I am the better informed because I recognize you are suffering from cognitive bias (ie Dunning-Kruger Effect*)." David Dunning has repeatedly stated that their study was not meant to denigrate the "stupid", but to point out that we ALL have blind spots in our ability to recognize our deficits in cognitive bias. It's quite possible you never read the entire study, which is why you are using it as a weapon in your ad hominem attack. You did call Chuck an asshole, only in a more elite way. You are better than that...usually.

*FWIW, David Dunning stated in a video interview that he is surprised about the coining of the phrase "Dunning-Kruger" and that it is often applied in situations that are inappropriate. 🤔