• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your retirement plans . . .

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
I went to the MCATA reunion a few months ago. 35 years ago the boys and I would have been discussing babes and booze. We were comparing prostates and cardiac issues instead. Wife said we sounded like a busload of old folks heading to a bingo game.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
The only real estate investments I have are REITs…I will not become a landlord.
I hear that all the time "I don't want to be a landlord.". It's 2024, a rental property owner isn't a landlord unless they want to be. I outsource that to a property manager which comes with many benefits. Time-saving: Delegating tasks such as tenant screening, background checks, and property listing to a property manager frees up your time for other activities(family, your own home). Stress reduction: Avoiding the day-to-day responsibilities of managing a property, like handling tenant concerns and maintenance issue. Tax advantages: The expenses associated with hiring a property manager, including their fees, are often tax-deductible, providing a financial benefit. Consistent income: With a property manager in place, you can enjoy a steady and reliable income stream without the direct involvement in the operational aspects. Efficient tenant placement: Property managers often have resources unavailable to me to quickly find suitable tenants. This last go-round, they had an approved tenant in less than a week. There's no telling how long it would take me to do that. Simplified tax reporting: Property managers typically provide comprehensive income statements, simplifying the process of reporting income and expenses during tax time.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I hear that all the time "I don't want to be a landlord.". It's 2024, a rental property owner isn't a landlord unless they want to be. I outsource that to a property manager which comes with many benefits. Time-saving: Delegating tasks such as tenant screening, background checks, and property listing to a property manager frees up your time for other activities(family, your own home). Stress reduction: Avoiding the day-to-day responsibilities of managing a property, like handling tenant concerns and maintenance issue. Tax advantages: The expenses associated with hiring a property manager, including their fees, are often tax-deductible, providing a financial benefit. Consistent income: With a property manager in place, you can enjoy a steady and reliable income stream without the direct involvement in the operational aspects. Efficient tenant placement: Property managers often have resources unavailable to me to quickly find suitable tenants. This last go-round, they had an approved tenant in less than a week. There's no telling how long it would take me to do that. Simplified tax reporting: Property managers typically provide comprehensive income statements, simplifying the process of reporting income and expenses during tax time.
I dig it and I’m happy for you…just not my bag.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had a rental property years ago and sold it as I was never going to go back to where it was. Now where I live I wouldn't mess with rental property I know too many people who have rental properties or are property managers and in WA a bad renter can take nearly a year to get out of your house.

I hear that all the time "I don't want to be a landlord.". It's 2024, a rental property owner isn't a landlord unless they want to be. I outsource that to a property manager which comes with many benefits...

I was a landlord for ~4 years, even with a property manager there was still enough to deal with that it was a pain in addition to all the other stuff I had to deal with. Not getting rented for months at a time didn't help. So while an okay option it definitely is not for everyone.

Slight thread jack - what are everyone's thoughts on retiring/living overseas? One of my HSL HACs lives with his wife in Italy and they love it. I believe his last AD job was in Naples and then he took a GS job. When the Zombies are unleashed, wondering if living on a Norwegian Fjord or a Ted Kaczynski cabin in Northern Canada might be worth considering . . .

With the wife being a native Canadian (not exactly overseas...) that is always an option for us but health care and housing costs, and possibly taxes, would be big deterrents right now. As long as we have good insurance we are better set up down here for health care, if we don't up north is better. Canada is also undergoing a serious housing crunch right now, with costs climbing up there much faster than here and her home town (Vancouver area) pretty much unaffordable for us now. Still an option in the future but not our top choice right now.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

We had our turn as a long distance military landlord and ended up selling it. Too much headache and we wanted the equity to buy our primary home. Paying a property manager 8-10% off the top would've killed any profit, so it was out of the question and we self managed.

The time to buy real estate was mid 2000s in the booming metros, or 2010-2014 in distressed areas, then locking in any bottom financing in 2019-2021. Specifically post 2020, there's tons of dumb money in the market and the margins just aren't there unless you're willing to be a slumlord. Anyone who bought a regular ass house in San Diego or DC in 2011 purely out of timing feels like Warren Buffet.

<rant> Lastly I have an ethical qualm about the institutional investors, private equity, small investor syndicates, and even individual investors gobbling up two family, multi family, cheap single family properties. These people are bad. They'll gladly talk bout "doors under management", "cashflow", "FIRE", and their fucking Tesla, but they have little to no actual investment in the community. Regulatory capture by conservative policies has made tenant's rights a joke. FYIGM in all the worst ways while people who actually live there suffer under yearly rent increases or can't buy a starter house because they get outbid by PE with no inspections/contingencies. </rant>

exNavyOffRec

A property manager is great but can't really help much if tenant decides to stop paying or does something else to require eviction, some renters may seem like the best people in the world when they move in but in several states it is nearly impossible to get tenants out when don't want to pay anymore/evicted for other reasons and don't move. I was helping a veteran who has some mental/physical issues, the person handling the money stopped paying rent and then found out they were going to evict. Due to mandatory mediation we now have from the point a landlord decides to evict you are looking at 3 months before mediation happens, then if they side for the landlord you need to get the sheriff to serve the eviction notification, which can vary between 3-6 months. The good news is we worked everything out, she is paid up and someone else is handling her finances.

Having rental properties can be a very good thing if you have them in the right state, I am not in the right state.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Surprised no one talked about having/adding real estate to their (retirement) portfolio's.
I loose version of our plan is a home with an ADU, Casita, or similar. It depends somewhat on where we land, but I'd really like to have an on-site unit. Plan is to rent to traveling nurses, who tend to be a low maintenance bunch. AirBnBs are too much work and people are hard on them.

This may not happen, but if we can make it work we will.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
<rant> Lastly I have an ethical qualm about the institutional investors, private equity, small investor syndicates, and even individual investors gobbling up two family, multi family, cheap single family properties. These people are bad. They'll gladly talk bout "doors under management", "cashflow", "FIRE", and their fucking Tesla, but they have little to no actual investment in the community. Regulatory capture by conservative policies has made tenant's rights a joke. FYIGM in all the worst ways while people who actually live there suffer under yearly rent increases or can't buy a starter house because they get outbid by PE with no inspections/contingencies. </rant>

I 1000% agree with this rant. I suppose I have the means now to participate if I wanted to, but it personally bothers me.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Whatever your plans are,get a fucking shingles vaccine if you had chicken pox as a kid. It was on my to-do list, but just struck with a vengeance on abouat the whole of the left side of my face, including an eye swollen shut.

Believe me, you want no part of it!