• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your retirement plans . . .

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I feel like taking drugs to compensate for a bunch of shitty lifestyle dietary choices...I really should own up to the shitty choices first and try to fix that. If I then need to take something to chip away at the LDLs, so be it.
Dude, your liver and your genetics are, largely, responsible for your LDL levels, not because you ate too much bacon in your 40s. Seriously, take the statins. It’s literally the easiest and most consequential thing you can do to prevent heart disease.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Dude, your liver and your genetics are, largely, responsible for your LDL levels, not because you ate too much bacon in your 40s. "Seriously, take the statins. It’s literally the easiest and most consequential thing you can do to prevent heart disease."
. . . . AW conspiracy theorist immediately start researching what pharmaceutical company is paying Brett.

croakerfish

pilot
…- but my AME believes statins are of little effect, "I see pilots get heart attacks all the time who have been taking statins for years".
This is some odd reasoning. It’s like saying hospitals are useless because people die there all the time. Totally agree on lifestyle over meds however.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I have enough from Navy retirement (Final pay @ 38 yrs) and VA Disability to pay all my bills and live very comfortably. SS, whenever I take it will only sweeten the pot. My plan is to explore the world and travel as much as possible with dividends from my portfolio, never touching principal. So far, so good. Because my son and his wife will be staying in, or close to the DMV, I’m fairly certain we’ll be staying in NOVA for the near future. We bought our house at the beginning of COVID at an almost criminal mortgage rate. VA has a nice state tax deduction for military retirees - 20% for 2023, going up to 40% in 2025.

Also - no plans to stop working completely when I retire, just something enough to keep me active and feel relevant. I’m also fairly passionate about volunteering. I found an organization that provides school lunches free of charge to young kids (Generosity Feeds) and would love to help more with that. I’m also providing leadership/mentorship engagements to high school kids. Having more time to volunteer and give back to community is very important to me.
Surprised no one talked about having/adding real estate to their (retirement) portfolio's.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
This is some odd reasoning. It’s like saying hospitals are useless because people die there all the time. Totally agree on lifestyle over meds however.
There is increasing evidence that serum cholesterol levels have nothing to do with heart disease risk - rather its the inflammation and arterial damage from metabolic disorders and type 2 diabetes that in fact is the culprit. I've embraced the belief that Cardiologists and Primary Care physicians are wrong about the benefits of statins as primary prevention of heart disease.

A diet rich in fatty red meat, fish/seafood, eggs, full fat dairy is ancestorily appropriate for humans it turns out - in many circles it is called "A Proper Human Diet"

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
You need revenue streams.
round-walkin-around.gif

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
It takes one bad tenant...
lol, there's always that one voice in the crowd.

Of all the people in my sphere that own rental properties, I can count on 1 hand, with plenty of finger left over, who have had a bad tenant experience. Background checks, employment verification, rental history and spot checks can go a long way to ensure you have a smooth experience.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
here is increasing evidence that serum cholesterol levels have nothing to do with heart disease risk
No there isn't. Did Ward Carrol cover that on his YouTube channel?
I've embraced the belief that Cardiologists and Primary Care physicians are wrong about the benefits of statins as primary prevention of heart disease.
Of course you have. You're the poster child for Dunning-Kruger on this site.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
lol, there's always that one voice in the crowd.

Of all the people in my sphere that own rental properties, I can count on 1 hand, with plenty of finger left over, who have had a bad tenant experience. Background checks, employment verification, rental history and spot checks can go a long way to ensure you have a smooth experience.
The only real estate investments I have are REITs…I will not become a landlord.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The only real estate investments I have are REITs…I will not become a landlord.
The GF has a number of apartment buildings in her portfolio. The amount of work is significant - just getting the quarters out of the coin laundry machines is a whole chore. Very profitable to be sure but a lot of transactional work with tenants and managing the upkeep and churn of tenants. But net profit is good surprisingly good with low income housing that is *not* Section 8.

Mirage

pilot
No there isn't. Did Ward Carrol cover that on his YouTube channel?

Of course you have. You're the poster child for Dunning-Kruger on this site.
Not to get sidetracked, but Brett (or another mod), what exactly is the new forum rule on criticizing people here? Is it written down somewhere?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to get sidetracked, but Brett (or another mod), what exactly is the new forum rule on criticizing people here? Is it written down somewhere?
Criticism is encouraged. It's calling people assholes that is frowned upon. Please take note of it.