• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your favorite duty station

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
MB, traffic wasn’t bad back in my day. Heck, I once towed, with a mule (wing walkers’ and all), an A4 form JAX to Cecil Field, easy, no problems, no traffic at all (40 years ago:)).

Shoe, did you have a "refueling store" loaded on the Scooter to keep the mule topped off?:p
BzB

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
So far I'll throw in a vote each for Pensacola and Brunswick, Maine. I have a hard time choosing between the two. If it weren't for the heat in the summer here, and the snow in Maine it would probably be a much easier decision.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Be it because of the locale or the mission or for whatever other reason; what are your favorite duty stations and why?

Rota, Spain ...1958-61. Wx was good. locale was exotic (very little American influence then) and mission was cool ...(ferreting ...around and about the USSR ...LOL!!)

Living on the cheap ...una peseta for a vaso de vino, and tapas ...56 p's to the dollar ...couldn't spend more that one buck a night!!

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
How can there only be one Oahu/Hawaii vote so far? There's so much to do and the flying was great.

I'm actually considering retracting my vote. I need another set (or two) of orders here in the future. If we keep everyone thinking it's untenably expensive and Island-Fever-inducingly small, it could significantly whittle down the field of applicants. . .

But seriously, the flying is great (I'm not really sure what IMC means anymore), tons to do and see as long as you like outdoor activities, and it's 80 degress and sunny year round. Also, I make stupid amounts of money compared to my CONUS brethren. Seriously, I have lived like a rockstar and still socked away asstons of cash.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I looked at the sub-forum and figured soda wanted coast guard specific gouge, but fuck it, Hawaii was phenomenal. I was single and had the time of my JO life. Most of my married friends and their wives loved it too.

Renegade One

None
Be it because of the locale or the mission or for whatever other reason; what are your favorite duty stations and why?
San Diego...accept no substitutes...cost of living is admittedly a bit high...but you get what you pay for. I had all 5 of my operational squadron tours here...back when there was a place called "Fightertown USA" (e.g., NAS Miramar back in the day...). But MCAS Miramar doesn't suck either, although the culture is admittedly different...as it is everywhere. Probably for the best (that's what I'm saying on advice of Counsel). ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Leeeeeemore. Tule fog in the winter, acrid yellow sulfur tap water year round. Haze/smog obscuring the gorgeous sierras to the east-worst air quality/lowest employment in the nation. Dairy farm/cow shit/fertilizer fumes in your lungs 24 hrs a day. Only 3-6 hours drive to civilization, and oh yeah it's 138 degrees on the flight line during the summer.
Don't forget Cowschwitz. :D

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Port Angeles is dope. I don't think there could be a better location in the Pac NW for a duty station. I use to drive up and do a lot of cold water diving around the area. There and Hood canal is probably the best cold weather diving in the western hemisphere.
Seems like it'd be fun, but a bit far away from, well, everything except the Olympics. Though if you like living out in the country, I could see it being a dream come true. I don't think I'd like living in the big city, but I like visiting now and then. I guess there is the ferry to Victoria, too.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None

How can there only be one Oahu/Hawaii vote so far? There's so much to do and the flying was great.

I was never stationed there but did vist a few times in the military, both Navy and Army. My favorite military visit was with the National Guard in Hilo. I was out there for vacation, logged in on an AFTP, flew around the big island, then continued my vacation. If I were ever to consider an inter-state transfer, the Hawaii Guard in Hilo would be my first choice.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I looked at the sub-forum and figured soda wanted coast guard specific gouge, but fuck it, Hawaii was phenomenal. I was single and had the time of my JO life. Most of my married friends and their wives loved it too.

Pssst...there's a CG station on the other side of those mountains...

I know it's different strokes for different folks, but for me, San Diego's pluses are not worth the minuses (as I perceive them). 10 years ago, I would have disagreed with myself. Now, I'll be looking forward to leaving when my orders are up.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
San Diego...accept no substitutes...cost of living is admittedly a bit high...but you get what you pay for. I had all 5 of my operational squadron tours here...back when there was a place called "Fightertown USA" (e.g., NAS Miramar back in the day...). But MCAS Miramar doesn't suck either, although the culture is admittedly different...as it is everywhere. Probably for the best (that's what I'm saying on advice of Counsel). ;)

I'll second the Whale's Vagina area. Absolutely awesome.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Pssst...there's a CG station on the other side of those mountains...

I know it's different strokes for different folks, but for me, San Diego's pluses are not worth the minuses (as I perceive them). 10 years ago, I would have disagreed with myself. Now, I'll be looking forward to leaving when my orders are up.

Same here, San Diego is fun but I have no desire to stay here forever.

Brunes

pilot
Is your wife a flyer Brunes?

Anyone know if Alaska is as bad as they say?
Naw-She is a flyers daughter. Her Dad has done PA, Astoria,and Humboldt Bay.

No matter where you go-You can have a great or horrible time. I'm trying to get TAD up there to check it out...but lots of folks go and try to stay up there...