• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your favorite duty station

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Be it because of the locale or the mission or for whatever other reason; what are your favorite duty stations and why?

MasterBates

Norfolk, barely above Pensacola.

Stuff to do, actual seasons.

Worst? Jacksonville

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

BackOrdered

Contributor
Norfolk, barely above Pensacola.

Stuff to do, actual seasons.

Worst? Jacksonville

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

I felt the complete opposite. The traffic and people (no sailors or dogs on the grass) in Norfolk are both absurd.

MasterBates

JAX, Krock/Corpus, Norfolk and Pcola (OCS/Helo Adv only) are my only stations.

I hated JAX. With a fucking passion. Traffic, no good way to get to work, if you were stationed at Mayport you got the same BAH as JAX, but got far less for your dollar, shitty courts, etc.

Norfolk, I lived on the beach for under BAH owning my own house and could walk to bars.

JAX, I lived 30 miles from work, only could walk to a dive bar (as in bad, don't go there) and it still cost me over BAH.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I hated JAX. With a fucking passion. Traffic, no good way to get to work, if you were stationed at Mayport you got the same BAH as JAX, but got far less for your dollar, shitty courts, etc.

JAX, I lived 30 miles from work, only could walk to a dive bar (as in bad, don't go there) and it still cost me over BAH.
Plus you had to put up with an aquatic mammal.

Brunes

pilot
Tampa/Clearwater was decent. Great ENS gig-First Fridays were great.
New Orleans isn't bad either.

While I wasn't permanent party there-Key West was AMAZING. Lots of TAD there....so the place/life was great. Can't comment on costs.

Really want to give the Pacific NW a shot next...

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
  • #1 Jax, but I grew up here, went to high school and college here. I think I like being out at Cecil Field better than Mayport.
  • #2 San Diego
  • #Second to last - Ft. Hood, TX...it's in Killeen. Where the heck is that? North Ft. Hood - even worse
  • #Last - Ft Rucker, AlaBAMA! Take the worst parts of Navy flight school and you have Ft. Rucker. NOTHING nearby unless you want to drive 1.5 hours to Panama City.

• Never stationed in Norfolk, but visited there often enough. It would be just above Ft. Hood for me
  • Andros Island..visited there often too. Environment was GREAT. Lack of social past times non-existent (1000 Fathoms Club was WAY below "dive" standards)
  • Ft. Indiantown Gap - beautiful scenery, proximity to Yuengling Brewery - good. Nearest shopping, restaraunts, etc... - BAD
  • Ft.Stewart/HAAF - meh

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If the local court system is on one's list of criteria to consider for the relative quality of duty stations, you're clearly existing on an entirely different plane than most. :D

Jax was awesome, did it for 8 years. Norfolk, meh.

robav8r

None
Contributor
As a single guy - San Diego, hands down.

As a family man- Brunswick, Maine.

MasterBates

The courts were a minor part. Most of my basis for not liking JAX was the jacked up housing market, and the commute distance sucked to reasonable houses.