• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your chances are....(penalty box for those who can't help asking about their chances)

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Both will give you the best military training available. However, only the Marine Corps will challenge you mentally and physically in ways you never thought possible.

Damn I guess I just wasted all that time at Navy OCS... Way to talk out of your ass about something you know nothing about...

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
To the O.P.

I've seen this quote a few times, which makes me think there is some truth to it. When asked this question, apparently some dude who had attended both Marine and Navy OCS said:

"Marine OCS is physically harder, but Navy OCS sucks more."

To me, the sleep deprivation @ Navy OCS was the hardest thing about it...I mean, damn. Your body gets used to the physical side of Navy OCS after about 4 weeks, but I never really got used to being that tired all the time.

Bumper365

It is apparent that you don't get it. This should clear it up.

OCS, NROTC, USNA are all commissioning sources. At the completion of each program, you get a commission. For NROTC and USNA you go into it not knowing what designator (career field: NFO, pilot, nuc, etc) you will have when you are commissioned at the end. You submit a dream sheet in your senior year and get your award based on competition for open quotas between classmates from the USNA or if an NROTC guy, all NROTC grads that year.
OCS is very different. When you apply for OCS you apply specifically for a designator, like pilot or SWO. You compete on a nation wide level before routinely convened boards. You are accepted or reject for your chosen career field before you go to OCS or commit to anything. So, a guy going to OCS knows he will be a NFO, intel weenie or what ever, before he gets his hair cut. That isn't true for midshipman. You really can't compare OCS to the other programs directly when talking about "chances" of selection. An OCS applicant can reapply for his designator of choice many times until he gets what he wants or gets the hint. Midshipman get one bite at the apple. How many slots are available for NROTC compared to OCS? It varies a lot. What are your chances of getting your first choice? That varies as well, but the vast majority get what they want. The better you do in school and NROTC determines how likely you will get what you want. OCS candidates on the other hand will all be satisfied with what they have because they had a choice to accept or decline. Even if it wasn't their first choice, they took it so they had better be satisfied or they were just plain stupid. Bottom line. You can not choose between OCS and NROTC simply based on what your chances for selection a specific designator are. Clear as mud?
So when exactly do you apply for OCS, or how do you go through it?

jooman360

timing

I am applying for 1)pilot, 2)supply and then 3)surface warefare. I took the test. My application is nearing competion. But i still have a couple of things to finish. I hear the board meets April 15. I will probably get my aplication in late will all the pilot slots be filled? Should I wait until the next time the board meets? Or does timing not matter that much and it will be looked at later when there are slots? Can someone tell me about switching from supply to aviation or surface warfare to aviation or supply after i serverd a couple years and when it would be possible. I know it is a lot of questions but I just want to get an idea of what I could do. If you guys could answer some questions it would really help me. Thanks.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I was told your package needs to be in at least 2 weeks before the board. Best bet is to finish up what you need to get done, make sure everything is perfect, and submit for the May 15th board.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
The package must be to the processing station by the first of the month. That means your recruiter should have everything at least a week before that so they can review and send the paperwork. I ran into the same problem for the April board, which is why I am now applying in May. Good Luck!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Change of designator is possible. Your first shot at it usually comes after completion of your first operational tour (sea duty). The numbers selected every year varies, but it is usually a very small number. You have to have a great first tour, but it is possible. Couple of guys on AW have done it.

jooman360

should i apply for NFO?

I am putting filling out the application and so far i have Pilot, supply, and swo. I can't decide if I should apply for NFO. I figured I really want to be an officer. After I am out of the Navy I think I May get the rest of the ratings and pursue a career as a pilot. But I don't know if I should apply for NFO because I don't think it would really contribute to being a pilot as far as ratings go. I like that if I was supply or SWO it would give me a large range of career options if i did not get become a pilot afterwards. What is the commitment of an NFO. I apologize I did research it, but I can't remember if it is more than 4 years active duty. I guess what I really want to know is how hard is it to switch jobs from NFO to pilot or supply or from supply or SWO to NFO or pilot.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
1. Go to google, type in nfo commitment and it is answered with the first return.

2. I'm very confused... Why go into the navy with a goal of becoming a civilian pilot once you get out? You can become a civilian pilot without getting into the navy.

I would think that you would want to fly for the navy to join the navy. Same as being an NFO. Is that something you think you want to do? Then go for it. If not, then don't waste anyone's time.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
But I don't know if I should apply for NFO because I don't think it would really contribute to being a pilot as far as ratings go. I like that if I was supply or SWO it would give me a large range of career options if i did not get become a pilot afterwards. ....I guess what I really want to know is how hard is it to switch jobs from NFO to pilot or supply or from supply or SWO to NFO or pilot.
You might very well be "that guy". Your indecisiveness and waivering is not what is going to make you a good, let alone great naval officer. Sorry for the Simon Cowell answer....click on the link below.
http://www.atpflightschool.com/airline_training_programs/airline_career_pilot_program/index.html

hourocket

Bullseye
None
If you want to do the flying, go pilot, plain and simple. Dont pick a job hoping to get another job out of it, i.e. NFO to Pilot. If you want it, go for it, because if you want to fly you will not be happy with NFO.

With wanting to go into commercial aviation afterwards, that is a big time commitment just to get some flight time and ratings.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If you think SWO will let you get out of the Navy and become a Merchant Marine officer, you're wrong.

Sabre170

None
NFO Committment is 6 years after winging. It is possible to change from NFO to pilot some on this board have done so, but there are a lot of NFOs who have not been so lucky.

Don't listen to everyone who says join the Navy only for the Navy etc.... Most people in the Navy joined for some selfish reason be it education, travel, job security, but most also had the desire to serve thier country. My guess is that 9 out of 10 pilots look into civilian jobs when they are about to finish their commitments, so using the military to learn how to fly is not wrong, but like hourrocket said above 8 years (for pilots) is a long time serve when your only goal may be a pilot's rating.

MiG15

pilot
None
I am putting filling out the application and so far i have Pilot, supply, and swo. I can't decide if I should apply for NFO. I figured I really want to be an officer. After I am out of the Navy I think I May get the rest of the ratings and pursue a career as a pilot. But I don't know if I should apply for NFO because I don't think it would really contribute to being a pilot as far as ratings go. I like that if I was supply or SWO it would give me a large range of career options if i did not get become a pilot afterwards. What is the commitment of an NFO. I apologize I did research it, but I can't remember if it is more than 4 years active duty. I guess what I really want to know is how hard is it to switch jobs from NFO to pilot or supply or from supply or SWO to NFO or pilot.

Ask youself what is most important to you? Do you want to be a Naval Officer, a Naval Aviator, a Surface Warfare Officer, a Naval Flight Officer......astronaut, seal....whatever? Prioritize and apply for what will make YOU happy. Remember that this is a volunteer service and you do not HAVE to apply (unless you are one of those "join the service or go to jail people.") If you are not happy with what you are doing then you are probably not going to be very good at it.