• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Winged FO's Start Talking! (please)

mid1510

Do you all think going for Rhinos would be a smart career choice these days? It seems like the "safest" choice for a career would be Growlers or Hawkeyes....

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Do you all think going for Rhinos would be a smart career choice these days? It seems like the "safest" choice for a career would be Growlers or Hawkeyes....

stop over thinking this. they're all going to be around long enough for you make a career in whichever one you end up in. pay attention to the great advice that has been given here, do your best, ask for what you platform you want, and then go and don't ever think twice. end of story, yes?

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None

Fly what you want. If you are good enough, the Navy will find a place for you. I chose Intruders out of flight school and never regretted that decision even though I only flew them for just over 3 years.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've loved being an NFO since I checked in at VT-10. I've never experienced anything like this 'second class citizen' thing Ensigns always seem to worry about. Everybody's got their job in the squadron and in the plane. The pilots give us shit about wearing Centurion patches, we give them shit about being bus drivers. Everyone else gives us shit about being Hawkeye guys.

Bottom line: any flying job in the Navy beats the shit out of any other job in the Navy. Hand-wringing about which airplane and how many anchors is sort of like agonizing over whether you'd rather get a nude full-body rubdown from Miss January or Miss March...no matter what, you win.

Glider3

None
I just winged, am going VFA, and wouldn't have it any other way!

I got some of the "second class" nonsense in primary, but in intermediate and advanced there was none of that.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
Flying in the back of a Rhino is awesome, especially when you and the pilot are working well together in a busy environment like CAS or Air to Air. Echoing what others have said, people may take jabs at your job but your doing it right back. That's how it should be, it's part of what makes this job.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord

What LSO and wlawr said... flew a rhino the other day with <10 hrs on it. They'll be around for a while.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CVW-14 is now de-activated, so that source is probably on longer reliable.

-ea6bflyr ;)