• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Winged FO's Start Talking! (please)

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
I'm in vt-10 now and have completed contact phase and am in instruments now. I had the opportunity afforded to me at the end of API to switch to SNA. I was the only one who had the grades to switch. However, I stayed FO. The contact phase in primary solidified that. I did enjoy actually flying the aircraft every chance I had, however, now in INAV (instrument navigation) I am much more at home and glad I didn't switch.

If you're offered the chance to switch, just go with your gut and you'll be happy.

jtmedli

pilot
I'm in vt-10 now and have completed contact phase and am in instruments now. I had the opportunity afforded to me at the end of API to switch to SNA. I was the only one who had the grades to switch. However, I stayed FO. The contact phase in primary solidified that. I did enjoy actually flying the aircraft every chance I had, however, now in INAV (instrument navigation) I am much more at home and glad I didn't switch.

If you're offered the chance to switch, just go with your gut and you'll be happy.

Well I'm glad that you're happy where you're at. What's with INAV making you glad you didn't switch though?

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Do you like going to Captain's mast?
Well then... maybe I'll just take a vacation there... lol

Well I'm glad that you're happy where you're at. What's with INAV making you glad you didn't switch though?

Not directed to me, but I was almost a SNFO. Back when the NSS at API was 43 for Navy pilots I ended up with a 42.9 because of failing an exam despite having decent grades. Me and four others were offered a chance to redes, and I tried to go NFO. I told the board full of O4s that I wanted to stay in the cockpit, no matter what I was doing. The LCDR on my immediate right said, "You failed Navigation..." I got the spot anyway but one day our group was called into the skipper's office and were told by the CO that they are going to let us remain SNAs. All throughout primary I wondered if it'd be more fun just doing all the backseat stuff and letting someone else fly.

Then I got to helos and never looked back. Now that's fun. Probably would've been happy as a FO, but rotary aviation is a different animal.

/threadjack
I'll let you guys get back to FO stuff and watch the convo unfold. This thread has potential.

jtmedli

pilot
Not directed to me, but I was almost a SNFO. Back when the NSS at API was 43 for Navy pilots I ended up with a 42.9 because of failing an exam despite having decent grades. Me and four others were offered a chance to redes, and I tried to go NFO. I told the board full of O4s that I wanted to stay in the cockpit, no matter what I was doing. The LCDR on my immediate right said, "You failed Navigation..." I got the spot anyway but one day our group was called into the skipper's office and were told by the CO that they are going to let us remain SNAs. All throughout primary I wondered if it'd be more fun just doing all the backseat stuff and letting someone else fly.

Then I got to helos and never looked back. Now that's fun. Probably would've been happy as a FO, but rotary aviation is a different animal.

Idk. I enjoyed RI's in primary because by then the IPs were chill with us. Not to mention that I was pretty good at it having done some instrument flying before (not rated though). I'm definitely looking forward to flying in the HTs. Seems like everyone walks around here with a smile on their face which is a nice change.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
By the time SNFOs are doing strike and composite flights (or whatever they're called now), the kinds of heads down, task saturating, mind numbing, gnat's ass nav work they do makes your basic RI flight look like child's play. The goal in much of this training, beyond knowing how to get yourself from point A to point B on time, is to fill up your bucket and make you prioritize your task load. I've never had to do manual timing or wind corrections on a low level in a gray jet, or do verbose turn point procedures, but having to do that in VT-86 gives you an appreciation for the other kinds of task saturation that you'll encounter on a real strike.

Brett

NUFO06

None
I would have switched and I still would switch now if given the chance. I am perfectly happy being a P-3 NFO and I have no regrets, but given a chance I would love to learn how to fly just for the sake of flying. In the P-3 Community the more senior pilots are very much involved in the tactical missions, sometimes to the much annoyance of the senior NFO. Make a choice and be happy with it, whatever you do it will still be exciting and challenging.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
I would have switched and i still would if given the chance. That being said, riding trunk in the Rhino is a mixed bag. Badass jet and lots of cool flying. But given that the single seat side of the house exists and works well, there's always pressure to prove why you're worth 1000# of gas. My only regret is that I ended up in Lemoore.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
I'm more of a math type of guy. I like quick math and thinking on the fly (no pun intended). It's really hard to explain exactly why I'm glad I stayed as a FO.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would have switched and i still would if given the chance. That being said, riding trunk in the Rhino is a mixed bag. Badass jet and lots of cool flying. But given that the single seat side of the house exists and works well, there's always pressure to prove why you're worth 1000# of gas. My only regret is that I ended up in Lemoore.
Proving your worth won't be a problem when you're more senior and flying with the new nugget pilots. That day will come.

Brett

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett hit the nail on the head. Strikes and Composite flights are very challenging and the performance bar is high. The Strike flights during advanced training is time compressed and it's where most failures occur.

As an NFO, you can bank on the fact that you have a higher likelihood of doing a disassociated sea tour. Also, the ability to fly once you go off career track is very limited.

-ea6bflyr ;)

KBayDog

NFO = No Future Outside

wait-for-it-demotivational-poster-1250689239.jpg

mid1510

This is a big question I have had. I have been torn between hoping to select Rhinos or Growlers. I usually end up on the Rhino side.

However, (and this is nothing against you Radical Dude), I do not want to be surrounded by people who feel they need to prove their worth (i.e. second class citizens). I also do not want to be around pilots who wish they didn't have a WSO. Maybe I would be better off trying for the Growler route.