• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why you wanted/want to be in the Military?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ip568

None
1. Giving back something to the country that has given me everything

2. Duty

3. Honor

4. Serving with the best

5. Flying/flying with the best

6. Travel, adventure

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ip568 said:
1. Giving back something to the country that has given me everything

2. Duty

3. Honor

4. Serving with the best

5. Flying/flying with the best

6. Travel, adventure

Ok, what's the story with your avatar, cool!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
ip568 said:
6. Travel, adventure

Forgot about that one. Cruise can be a b!tch, but at the end, you'll have seen some pretty cool places and have some cool pictures and (incriminating) stories to tell.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I remember being five years old and my dad taking me to Hickam AFB to see the arrival of brand new F-102 Delta Daggers. I can't remember ever wanting to do anything but fly (and fly fighters) since then....As I got older, I got to meet pilots/NFOs and could sense in every aviator I met a level of professionalism, daring and infectious sense of humor that I didn't see in other professions. I wanted to be a part of that.

In 1972, my draft number was 3, but I laughed because I was already well along with my plans to get into the service and serve my country. Although I felt duty bound (like other fine posts have alluded to), I felt there was no finer calling to answer. I liked team sports (and gladiator movies!) and wanted to join the ultimate in team sports. I wasn't disappointed. There is nothing like a Ready Room for bonding, nurturing and being challenged (as well as entertainment). The military asks a lot but gives a lot in return.

I have to tip my hat to Air Warriors because it provides a virtual environment to assist all those who aspire to serve (and has that underlying sense of humor that all aviators seem to share).

well im going to add my sarcastic comment for the day

so why fear it?

uh because usually death hurts. kinda like surgery...ya kinda know its coming, but really can't do jack squat about it...except ask for morphine :)

Oakley568

DI$BO
Simple: If it weren't for the Navy, I would not be here. My father met my mother in the Philippines because he was stationed at NAS Cubi Point (now a gated community/duty free store compound) and he was an Aviation Supply Officer, worked a lot with F-14's, and I pretty much always wanted to be a naval aviator. Now I have an SNA slot at Pensacola and it's my turn to give back to my country what it gave me: my life (not in the sense that I am killed, but you get the picture). Sounds corny, but it's the truth, and now I've been given that oppurtunity and do not intend to waste it.:D

usnphoenix

Remove before flight
pilot
Joining the military was just something I always felt a calling to do. I've been so privileged to grow up in the United States, I guess I've always felt that giving back to my country would be my small contribution to try to repay all those before me that made this place so great. I figured if I get to live in the best damn country in the world, why not do my part and defend it? (I will say, watching the twin towers fall from across the Long Island Sound only made me want to serve that much more, but that wasn't my only reason.)
When I sailed on commercial ships for a year and I saw a lot of other countries where people didn't have the same liberties that I did growing up. Although I got to see and experience a lot, I couldn't have been happier to see the coastline of the United States when I finally sailed home. If I ever doubt whether or not I truly want to be here on Active Duty, all I would have to do is look back to that day and remember the pride and patriotism I felt when I saw the shoreline of New York appear over the bow knowing that it was my country, the USA, land of the free. Yeah it sounds like a sappy movie....but hey it keeps me going.
Yeah flying is great, and I love it. But if for some reason my flying days were done and they offered to let me stay in the Navy, I wouldn't hesitate to do so. I'm a Naval Officer first, and a Student Aviator second. Putting on a uniform every morning and knowing that I am doing my part to defend the best damn country in the world is far better than being a cubicle monkey any day.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
ghost119 said:
I never said that I was eager to die, but rather that I am willing to die if asked and it is calling. Death is going to get you sooner or later, so why fear it? There is nothing you can do to stop it, you can only postpone it for so long by running. We just look at the situation differently. So much to live for,? carpe dium. A glorious death is not on the top of my list, or even close. I don't care for medals, they are just something for your loved ones to have once you're dead, it is the person themself that matters, not how much medal and colored fabric they have on their chest. All I wish is to live and die with honor. The scum of the earth can spit and piss on my grave if they wish because I am not there anymore, that is just my corpse, but just don't mess with my name or my honor. This body means nothing, it is how you are remembered that matters.

It looks like you're in high school by your sig. If thats the case, it might be in your best interest to lighten up a bit. You know what's cool? Besides dreaming of charging an enemy line and getting your head blown apart? Chicks...........getting laid, having a good time. It seems you seek something you probably know nothing about. Maybe it's just me and the difficulty of seeing through the net but the above seems a little gooberish.

sarnav

To Ghost-
Got to agree with Mr. Bunk-You are in high school and it seems you are getting your ideas of bravery from hollyweird. Not trying to be a d!ck, and thanks for letting us know you have nothing against us lowly Sailors. Good on you for getting into the Academy but so far your four years of make believe military is exactly that-make believe.
My own reason for joining is completely the opposite of most it seems-Wasnt the best student and wanted to get out of my town so I walked into the recruiters office. After a few years enlisted where I grew up I want to be part of the community that is in my opinion the best in the Navy, and I will find out if I made the cut in the xoming weeks.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
I never said that I was eager to die, but rather that I am willing to die if asked and it is calling. Death is going to get you sooner or later, so why fear it? There is nothing you can do to stop it, you can only postpone it for so long by running. We just look at the situation differently. So much to live for,? carpe dium. A glorious death is not on the top of my list, or even close. I don't care for medals, they are just something for your loved ones to have once you're dead, it is the person themself that matters, not how much medal and colored fabric they have on their chest. All I wish is to live and die with honor. The scum of the earth can spit and piss on my grave if they wish because I am not there anymore, that is just my corpse, but just don't mess with my name or my honor. This body means nothing, it is how you are remembered that matters.

Big words coming from a highschooler in New Mexico Military School.

Maturity is what you really need. Words are just that...words. You got nothing to back that up yet, son.

What kind of bizarre ego trip are you on?

FOUL Strike 2...and you know what I mean.
umpire.jpg

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
For me: I wanted to be a Marine. This flying stuff just came along with it.

ip568

None
Ok, what's the story with your avatar, cool!

Photo taken through the periscope of a Los Angeles class SSN of a P-3 on the way in do a simulated kick-its-ass during sub time.

usnphoenix

Remove before flight
pilot
ghost119 said:
Neither. And I have nothing against sailors.

Gotta agree with bunk...you need to stop sitting around watching old war movies and join the rest of the real world. Hopefully your views will change as you age and mature and you will realize that the Hollywood hero death isnt the only way to go.

While I agree that running from death won't solve anything, honor is not always a direct result of death. Are all those who are coming home from Iraq less honorable than those who fought and died over there? NO! Serving your country and living to do it another day is just as honorable as laying down your life for it. I would much rather follow someone into battle who says "Okay we are going to go in, complete the mission, and we are all going to return together and live to serve our country another day," than someone who says "Well, we're gonna go in, and if we die...oh well, then we die."

IMHO, its better to live and complete 100 successful missions and have nobody but your children and grandchildren remember your name after you are put in the ground years later, than get in the history books for the 1 mission that you were assigned and never returned from.

Status
Not open for further replies.