• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why you wanted/want to be in the Military?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ghost...dude I'm sorry, but I like the 99 cent value meal at Mcdonald's wayyy to much to die in a sand box, and you should too! I would like to see how much you do not fear death, this "war" is not like Ghost Recon or Halo 2. Jus because 50 cent got shot 8 times and survived doesn't mean he wasn't afraid either. Everyone is afraid of death, so quit talking out your fourth point of contact.

It's just my view, everyone is entitled to one

I respect that, but I find your view hard to believe.

Ghost, you got to chill hombre. Alot of this fire you're bringing on yourself is from those who have BTDT, or who are alot closer to being there, doing that, than both you or I...I once had my own brief fit of AW insanity; ran the steak knife across the fingers so I couldn't type for a good long while, and now I'm myself again...Try it. Not the knife part, but preach at your wall for a few days, take a breather, and come back on when you're ready to learn. Best wishes to you.

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
Ghost, you got to chill hombre. Alot of this fire you're bringing on yourself is from those who have BTDT, or who are alot closer to being there, doing that, than both you or I...I once had my own brief fit of AW insanity; ran the steak knife across the fingers so I couldn't type for a good long while, and now I'm myself again...Try it. Not the knife part, but preach at your wall for a few days, take a breather, and come back on when you're ready to learn. Best wishes to you.
As others one this forum would say - solid advice grasshopper

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
NI never said that I was eager to die, but rather that I am willing to die if asked and it is calling. Death is going to get you sooner or later, so why fear it? There is nothing you can do to stop it, you can only postpone it for so long by running. We just look at the situation differently. So much to live for,? carpe dium. A glorious death is not on the top of my list, or even close. I don't care for medals, they are just something for your loved ones to have once you're dead, it is the person themself that matters, not how much medal and colored fabric they have on their chest. All I wish is to live and die with honor. The scum of the earth can spit and piss on my grave if they wish because I am not there anymore, that is just my corpse, but just don't mess with my name or my honor. This body means nothing, it is how you are remembered that matters.

Dude, like everyone else, take a bit of a chill. Everyone is afraid to die. I'm afraid to die, I've been close to it a couple times and I haven't even been shot at yet. Leave the bravado at home, because there ARE guys on here who HAVE been shot at, or even worse, shot.

FlyingBeagle

pilot
goosegagnon2 said:
Jus because 50 cent got shot 8 times and survived doesn't mean he wasn't afraid either. Everyone is afraid of death, so quit talking out your fourth point of contact.

Haha, if you're ever frightened, just take a deep breath and think, "what would Fiddy Cent do?" (or Bryan Boitano)

As far as the pain comment, I think the memory of the pain is inconsequential. It's all about how much it sucks at the moment.

On a side note, I see some people refuse to capitalize Sailor. I could have have sworn I saw/heard of a CNO instruction that "Sailor" is to be capitalized. However, I have seen it spelled lower case in official documents. Am I making this up, or has this just not caught on yet?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
50 Cent is a piece of sh!t. Ever read about how he came up with that name? What a douchebag.

50 Cent is a piece of sh!t. Ever read about how he came up with that name? What a douchebag.

I just heard the story of how he got shot though, once through the jaw?!? wtf. Anyways fill me in on the story of how he got his name....

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
goosegagnon2 said:
I just heard the story of how he got shot though, once through the jaw?!? wtf. Anyways fill me in on the story of how he got his name....

Long story short, in the 70s there was a gangster (not Sopranos style, Crips style) in New York that would terorize parts of the city with his gang. His name was 50 cent. He would kill people for as little as mugging them for 2 dollars. He was brutal and a piece of sh!t. He was finally gunned down by one of his enemies, thankfully. 50 cent, the rapper, picked his name to HONOR the gangster and continue his legacy as a "bad a@@".

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, I never really wanted to be in the "military". I wanted to be a lawyer!

Thankfully, the Navy recruiters knocked some sense into me a long time ago, and chose a much better career for me. Since then, I have benefited, the Navy has benefited, and I trust, our Country has also benefited.

Regarding combat, heroics, dying, honor, being scared, old war movies, or whatever, etc, I have some perspective.

I remember the 30 totally different emotions and expectations, fears, and concerns as our squadron transited for 2 weeks, the Pacific toward a hostile war that would likely cause us losses. Emotions ran the full gamut of almost John Wayne types, to seriously nervous nellies, medal seekers, to desperate my-luck-must-run-out-eventually types, and everything in between.

I remember our 1st major Alpha Strike briefing; our Strike Lead admonishing us that this was "not the war to be a hero in. Just do your job, and no more. No heroics." Unfortunately, we still lost one A-7 pilot that day.

In the end, 11 months later, all of us had done our jobs, under heavy and repeated fire, as we had been trained. Regardless of individual apprehensions, we all respected and protected each other. And we all did it exceptionally well, with minimal losses – regardless of our 30 different prior reservations, or different emotions and personalities, and actual responses about flying in real combat.

I know just a little about honor, courage, fear, and close ones' dying. But I also know a lot about doing the job you have signed on to do, doing it well, and as you have been trained - overcoming personal obstacles, and protecting your fellow warrior.

From the weakest to the strongest, all our guys rose to the occasion, as one proud and successful unit!

Nevertheless, you never know until you've been there, and even then, you still can't really be sure, how you feel. But feelings aside, you still act, and act well. And the air war is the "gentleman's war." Think about how worse it could be on the ground.

Today, all I ask now, when I die the so many years later that I have been fortunately granted of old age, that our Flag covers my coffin. [Civilian lawyers get no such flags. Maybe that is my happy epitaph!]

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Catmando said:
[Civilian lawyers get no such flags. Maybe that is my happy epitaph!]

Thank you for your insight, sir. It's truly something special to be able to sit here and learn from the guys who have been there, done that, and gotten the t-shirt.
Perhaps we can also get A4s to weigh in on this? Calling A4sForever, come in A4sForever. . . . .

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
I don't want a "Hollywood hero death." Never said I did and actually said the opposite.

I also never said that honor comes from death, i just said don't mess with mine after I die. I agree with you completely that honor comes from how one lives, not much from how one dies, for that is just an instant. Every soldier, one with their rifle in their hands or with its bayonet in the ground, has the same honor, that honor of being a soldier, a sailor, a Marine, an airman. That is the honor in which I am referring to. And I would also rather follow one who tells me we will all come out of the op alive, but if death came asking, I will fight till that last breath is gone.

I don't wish to be in a stupid history book, that does not matter. I wish to be remembered by my comrades and my loved ones, the rest do not matter.

I don't like argueing over this, this is my view on death, not honor and living, because I agree with all of you on those two subjects. It is only the death part that we do not seem to agree on. I do not fear death, that is simple. It hurts? Well, it's the last pain you will remember so what's the matter? It's just my view, everyone is entitled to one. Sorry to annoy you Schnugg, but we just think differently on the matter.

You're Out! Take a week or so vacation to cool off and reflect...then keep this topic to yourself.

Out_at_Home.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.