• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If your goal is something beyond the Navy (landing on boats, leading sailors), then go guard/reserve. It's the absolute best deal going. And yes I am prepared for the dogpile against me, as per usual.

And as per usual, you leave out the bads.

The Guard in particular can be a bit of a crapshoot, just ask the Guard units that were flying F-16's a few years ago and are now 'flying' MQ-9's. Unlike the regular USAF you are not tied to your airframe but your unit, so if you unit goes from one airframe to another you will likely do that same. A few folks may be able to transition to another Guard unit but not nearly everyone, And with the upcoming shrinkage in overall tactical jet numbers for the USAF as a whole you can expect more of the same in the future.

Another factor in the Guard is politics, and not just the normal office politics but actual politics. Since Guard units are controlled by the Governors there is a lot more of 'who you know' being important than in the regular service. This can manifest itself in big and small ways, with folks who have the right connections getting promoted and selected over others to one state losing out on those shiny new F-35's to another state with a more influential Senator. Even promotions are different, being much more dependent on a billet with the right rank opening up than in the regular service. Just ask the recent former Georgia Adjutant General what his rank is, Lt Gen or Major?

Finally like any military unit Guard units can be be awesome or horrible but with the Guard it usually takes a lot longer to change since folks don't rotate in and out like a regular military unit, which can be good or bad.

But yeah, the USAF and ANG grass can definitely look a lot greener when you are in Enid.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot

The Guard in particular can be a bit of a crapshoot, just ask the Guard units that were flying F-16's a few years ago and are now 'flying' MQ-9's. Unlike the regular USAF you are not tied to your airframe but your unit, so if you unit goes from one airframe to another you will likely do that same. A few folks may be able to transition to another Guard unit but not nearly everyone, And with the upcoming shrinkage in overall tactical jet numbers for the USAF as a whole you can expect more of the same in the future.

It's also apparently possible for a squadron to go to no airframe whatsoever. I know one person who was in the process of applying to the 111th Fighter Wing, an A-10 unit at the time, and was told as an aside, "Oh by the way, you know we're losing our aircraft, right?" The 111th now consists of a Mission Support Group and a Medical Group - no aircraft, no flying.

I also know a Viper pilot whose Guard unit switched to MQ-9s while they were in training. They were fortunate to get the opportunity to reassign to a different unit, but I don't imagine that happens for many people. So yeah, there are some downsides.

I'll also say that it's relatively common for Navy fighter guys to go to Guard or Reserve jobs after the Navy - I know of a number of people who have done or are doing it. I've never known or heard of anyone going the other way. I wouldn't be shocked if I learned someone had done it, but it's certainly much less common.

HuggyU2

None
...but I don't imagine that happens for many people.
Whether you imagine it or not doesn't affect the true answer.

I'll also say that it's relatively common for Navy fighter guys to go to Guard or Reserve jobs after the Navy. I've never known or heard of anyone going the other way.
That's because if they are young punk Guard babies, in unit they actively rushed and wanted to go to, and they're flying the aircraft they want, then why would they want to uproot their lives to go active duty? Makes no sense. And in a few years, many will be airline pilots or in some other solid business, and will have no desire to throw that away to go active duty.

And if these pilots did 11+ years on active duty, got out, and went to the Guard, why would they want to go back to the active duty that they left? Again, that makes no sense.

But yeah, the USAF and ANG grass can definitely look a lot greener when you are in Enid.
The Guard grass looks greener to more than that. Plenty of guys I've known in Panama City, Phoenix, and Norfolk that did everything they could to get out and go Guard.

flyguy4723

Do the guard pilots fly more than Navy pilots? I know it depends on airframe, I've heard that tankers/heavies fly more than fighter units just because fighters spend more time in the classroom reviewing weapons systems and what not.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...The Guard grass looks greener to more than that. Plenty of guys I've known in Panama City, Phoenix, and Norfolk that did everything they could to get out and go Guard.

It was a little bit of a dig at Joboy who it seems hasn't seem to have met anything labeled USAF that he isn't enamored with lately. While the Guard can be a really good deal it comes with a whole different set of concerns and issues compared to active or reserve components. Having worked with Guard folks on and off throughout my career I have seen a lot of the good and the bad, when it is good few things can be better but when it is bad....well, it can be bad.

Do the guard pilots fly more than Navy pilots? I know it depends on airframe, I've heard that tankers/heavies fly more than fighter units just because fighters spend more time in the classroom reviewing weapons systems and what not.

As with most things, it depends. Generally with reserve and Guard units the part-timers often don't do much of the everyday admin and paperwork that you are saddled with on active duty, the full-times in those units shoulder those loads.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor

We're making progress. You're starting to answer your own questions.

Python

pilot
Contributor

Tanker missions are more hours airborne. Fighters have less gas and shorter missions. Fighter guys log pretty much every flight PIC, not at all like that in heavies. Everyone has studying to do, although anecdotally I can tell you fighters generally have more hours of study than tankers. Just because the fighters are studying combat systems and weapons, doesn't mean they're not flying. The fighter guys study in addition to flying, not instead of flying. And replace fighter with helo/P8 in that last sentence and it's still true.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Lol good one. Just trying to get both sides of the story because most people I've talked to put the guard on a pedestal and condemn AD. (at least on the other forums I've been on.)
Do you ask these individuals what their background is, how they form their opinions? That's the thing about most forums...you have no idea who you're talking to. Be careful whose advice you follow.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you ask these individuals what their background is, how they form their opinions? That's the thing about most forums...you have no idea who you're talking to. Be careful whose advice you follow.

Or they can just take advice from whomever gives them the answer they wanted in the first place. Seems to be the preferred option with the dang kids these days...

flyguy4723

Most of the guys that favor the guard are either airline pilots or guard pilots themselves.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most of the guys that favor the guard are either airline pilots or guard pilots themselves.
reece.jpg

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Another factor in the Guard is politics, and not just the normal office politics but actual politics. Since Guard units are controlled by the Governors there is a lot more of 'who you know' being important than in the regular service. This can manifest itself in big and small ways, with folks who have the right connections getting promoted and selected over others to one state losing out on those shiny new F-35's to another state with a more influential Senator. Even promotions are different, being much more dependent on a billet with the right rank opening up than in the regular service. Just ask the recent former Georgia Adjutant General what his rank is, Lt Gen or Major?

Finally like any military unit Guard units can be be awesome or horrible but with the Guard it usually takes a lot longer to change since folks don't rotate in and out like a regular military unit, which can be good or bad.

Don't crap on the Guard MQ-9 gig too much. As much AD Title 10 time as you want with no deployments, and getting to stay at the same unit for a career, all without most of the Active duty BS. Schwaking shit heads from your home town, and most units have really awesome schedules (4 day work weeks and 180-200 work days a year, all while on 365 day orders).

And most if not all units are hiring. It is nice to be in a position where I can leave the Marine Corps in a year and almost choose which unit to join.

HuggyU2

None
And the rest that favor the Guard are the ones on active duty that really want a Guard job, but still have a service commitment.

Actually, I know quite a few airline pilots that have left the Guard, or are really torn to leave, because the airline pay and benefits has gotten so good, and they don't want to give up airline trips for Guard work.

Keep in mind, I was never a Guard guy. But had I been a fighter pilot, I personally would have gone that route.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Whether you imagine it or not doesn't affect the true answer.

Is this supposed to be a Yoda impression or are you implying that it's common for other Guard/Reserve units to find room for all of the people displaced by one transitioning out of its platform? Maybe that's true. I'd be surprised.

That's because if they are young punk Guard babies, in unit they actively rushed and wanted to go to, and they're flying the aircraft they want, then why would they want to uproot their lives to go active duty? Makes no sense. And in a few years, many will be airline pilots or in some other solid business, and will have no desire to throw that away to go active duty.

And if these pilots did 11+ years on active duty, got out, and went to the Guard, why would they want to go back to the active duty that they left? Again, that makes no sense.

That wasn't my point. I was trying to point out that if you specifically want to fly jets off boats, you have one opportunity to do that, and if you're really interested in doing both that and someday flying for your hometown Guard/Reserve squadron, that is quite possible but only in that order. Also, unless you have some magic way to get to 1500 hours very quickly, your airline job will be a regional and I don't know about anyone else, but I would certainly consider throwing that away to go active duty, especially when I was 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.