• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why it's good to be in Naval Aviation

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FMRAM said:
Has anyone mentioned Nellis and Red Flag? Some of the best times I've had...

Long live per diem
No kidding. What could be better than a 2 week all expenses paid trip to Vegas. Between Red Flag and ME phase, I must have 6 or 7 dets to Nellis. Now if we could just figure out a way to get rid of the Air Force - what a bunch of clowns. ;)

Brett

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
No kidding. What could be better than a 2 week all expenses paid trip to Vegas. Between Red Flag and ME phase, I must have 6 or 7 dets to Nellis. Now if we could just figure out a way to get rid of the Air Force - what a bunch of clowns. ;)

Brett

An O-3 with seven dets! In my day you were lucky to get one or two in a career, unless you were an adversary guy. Is that now the normal exposure to Red Flag etc, or are you just something special the Air Farce can't seem to get enough of? What is it you do for them that they invite you back time after time? Are you just letting them win or is there more to it? ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
wink said:
An O-3 with seven dets! In my day you were lucky to get one or two in a career, unless you were an adversary guy. Is that now the normal exposure to Red Flag etc, or are you just something special the Air Farce can't seem to get enough of? What is it you do for them that they invite you back time after time? Are you just letting them win or is there more to it? ;)
Since the demise of the EF-111 and the expeditionary Prowler squadrons, it's pretty much part of the workup routine. Additionally, the USAF Weps School requires Prowler support for their ME (Mission Employment) phase and this also coincides with the Prowler Weapons School final series of events to make new Level V guys. Plus, we need a certain number of LFE events to keep the T & R gods satisfied. All that equals max det time for expeditionary Prowler folks.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now, for an actual contribution to this thread about naval aviation......

I can't say why it's good to be in naval aviation. But I CAN say I'm glad you guys are out there flying all hours of the night. Without you, there'd be no reason to keep Wardroom #1 on the carrier open and that would be a shame. Because I would have missed out on many an occassion to eat an egg, bacon, and cheese sandwich along with some Honeynut Cheereos after a long 18-24 watch in CDC and getting to talk with the squadron bubbas just getting back from their flight. Long live WR1 and bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches!.....oh, and you guys too.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Since the demise of the EF-111 and the expeditionary Prowler squadrons, it's pretty much part of the workup routine. Additionally, the USAF Weps School requires Prowler support for their ME (Mission Employment) phase and this also coincides with the Prowler Weapons School final series of events to make new Level V guys. Plus, we need a certain number of LFE events to keep the T & R gods satisfied. All that equals max det time for expeditionary Prowler folks.

Brett
Uhh....sounds like a glorified (and approved) boondogle. We do those too, but usually its down to Cabo or Mazatlan (Mexico) under the auspice of "Joint Ops" or SAG training. :D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:

Brett
So you are not letting them win, excellent.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
No kidding. What could be better than a 2 week all expenses paid trip to Vegas. Between Red Flag and ME phase, I must have 6 or 7 dets to Nellis. Now if we could just figure out a way to get rid of the Air Force - what a bunch of clowns.

Brett

I have had the pleasure 5 times already...I was under the legal drinking/gambling age so I had to obstain from the alkie and the tables...
I had plenty of good times, I just had to be a little more creative than getting free drinks at the quarter slots.

I think that was why I managed to stay out of trouble on those dets!

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Why its good to be in naval aviation: Quality Spread!

I cant/ wont explain:) rest assured I am having fun here in lemoore

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Why it's good? They let me fly a $60 million strike fighter. That's why.
Well hell, if that's the reason, then you should have been a SWO. After all, they me drive a multi-BILLION dollar war ship. $60 mil...ha ha...I had three times that just in ammo I had to keep track of.

navyao

TheBubba said:
So I'm only still waiting for API, but I'm gonna add my $0.02...

What keeps me motivated? Having my Tuesday and Wednesday sleep-ins ended by the Blue Angels screaming over my apartment complex. Sure, I'm ticked when I wake up, but I can't do anything but get a little pumped at the sight of 6 F-18's flying in formation low and slow...

Not all of us are active duty guys anymore, but I'll add my comments...

"TheBubba" hit it on the head for me. I'm a cop now and work nights. After living on 2 NAS' and the O-3 level on the Big E, you'd think I'd be able to sleep through anything right? Nop...I live in the burbs under the north approach and south departure at MKE. All I get around here is MD-80's, 757, 130's, KC-135's, but no fast movers. The Blues were in town last summer and it was the first time I was woken up in the middle of the afternoon and didn't care. Hearing the Blues enter the break for 4 days straight; I can't even begin to explain it. I was so f'n motivated!

Also, as mentioned by a Rhino driver; it's the same for the enlisted troops, believe me! Yea it sucks going out to sea again, sleeping in my 7' x 4' coffin rack and eating box lunches. Wearing that freaking cranial, (I swear that's why I'm bald at 35)! The nice aircrew boots I got hooked up with ruined by camel c@m, hydro fluid, JP-5, GP Cleaner, you name it. I could go on and on...But! Walking off the catwalk and onto the flightdeck as a P/C and seeing your name stenciled on the port side of the nose gear door of that big sexy fighter, that's what its all about. Being on a first name basis with the JO's that fly MY F-14 and praying to God that one day I'll be in their shoes. Watching her do a zone 5 launch off the waist cat and 3 hours later watch her enter the break, line abreast with another Turkey with her wings at 45 degrees.

Yea...That's what it's all about.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Not all of us are active duty guys anymore, but I'll add my comments...

"TheBubba" hit it on the head for me. I'm a cop now and work nights. After living on 2 NAS' and the O-3 level on the Big E, you'd think I'd be able to sleep through anything right? Nop...I live in the burbs under the north approach and south departure at MKE. All I get around here is MD-80's, 757, 130's, KC-135's, but no fast movers. The Blues were in town last summer and it was the first time I was woken up in the middle of the afternoon and didn't care. Hearing the Blues enter the break for 4 days straight; I can't even begin to explain it. I was so f'n motivated!

Also, as mentioned by a Rhino driver; it's the same for the enlisted troops, believe me! Yea it sucks going out to sea again, sleeping in my 7' x 4' coffin rack and eating box lunches. Wearing that freaking cranial, (I swear that's why I'm bald at 35)! The nice aircrew boots I got hooked up with ruined by camel c@m, hydro fluid, JP-5, GP Cleaner, you name it. I could go on and on...But! Walking off the catwalk and onto the flightdeck as a P/C and seeing your name stenciled on the port side of the nose gear door of that big sexy fighter, that's what its all about. Being on a first name basis with the JO's that fly MY F-14 and praying to God that one day I'll be in their shoes. Watching her do a zone 5 launch off the waist cat and 3 hours later watch her enter the break, line abreast with another Turkey with her wings at 45 degrees.

Yea...That's what it's all about.

Very motivating indeed...was the "her" refering to the jet or the pilot? If it is the latter, was she a looker?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Steve Wilkins said:
Well hell, if that's the reason, then you should have been a SWO. After all, they me drive a multi-BILLION dollar war ship. $60 mil...ha ha...I had three times that just in ammo I had to keep track of.

Hmm... 20 Kts or 400 kts... oh boy this is a toughy...:icon_nav_

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Another reason...

Driving back tot he academic building from lunch and seeing 2 14's in the break over Sheman Field...