• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why are O4s considered JOs?

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
I've seen this talked about a few times in other threads, but does anybody know the rationale behind the Navy and Coast Guard being different than the other services as far as the "Senior Officer" to "Junior Officer" split? Especially with regards to LCDRs? Does it have to do with a different way of structuring the Navy? Or is it just another arbitrary rule that makes us different? I just personally do not see how someone can be 10+ years in, and still considered junior in any capacity. I understand they are given the "Hinge" nickname, but I personally feel as though O4s are robbed of the Senior Officer title. Thoughts?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Yeah, I'm not sure where you're getting this. Sounds like some bad gouge in A-pool to me.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Navy and Coast Guard
O-1 to O-4: Junior Officer
O-5 to O-6: Senior Officer
O-7 and up: Flag Officer

Army, Air Force and Marines
O-1 to O-3: Company Grade Officer
O-4 to O-6: Field Grade Officer
O-7 and up: General Officers

LCDRs are technically JOs but are not treated that way.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Navy and Coast Guard
O-1 to O-4: Junior Officer
O-5 to O-6: Senior Officer
O-7 and up: Flag Officer

Army, Air Force and Marines
O-1 to O-3: Company Grade Officer
O-4 to O-6: Field Grade Officer
O-7 and up: General Officers

Yea, that's what I was curious about. Why the difference between services? I couldn't find a specific navy regulation about it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, I'm not sure where you're getting this. Sounds like some bad gouge in A-pool to me.

Historically, in the Navy, O-4s were referred to as JOs, as HAL shows. Maybe that's changing now, but it's been a thing in the past. Obviously different from a Marine O-4, who even gets scrambled eggs and stuff.

exNavyOffRec

Funny story, my Principal Assistant was an O-4 and my MCPO referred to him as a "JO", really pissed the PA off (he was a really good guy though), he kept saying "I am not a JO!", so the MCPO made a bet with our PA that he could prove to him he was a JO and the loser would buy the other a steak dinner, well the MCPO won the bet.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And for some reason, LCDR is the rank at which you're expected to be able to show up with a sword or Mess Dress, when prescribed. Notice I didn't say "you have to OWN it".
Mess Dress is the thing you show up in when you don't want to wear Service Dress Bozo, and look like a teenager who just found Dad's sport coat. Grownups aren't afraid to wear the attire apropos to the function they're attending.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Ready for this??? The Army recently made CW3-CW5 field grade! I now have to go out and purchase a pricey ($150) bus driver hat (combination cover) complete with scrambled eggs. But on the plus side I get a wet CHU on deployment while the O-3s really really really get bent out of shape about being 2 to 4 per room and having to walk outside to the latrine to take a pi$$..