• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
In the watch underworld the Citizens Skyhawk gets okay reviews. Use of functions is okay but it really takes a beating on readability.

That said, Harrier Dude is spot on regarding the Blue Angles Skyhawk. I use the wear one when I flew with the teams until my fellow pilots busted my balls for it.

Here is me back in the day flying the Slot position.:D

pilotman.jpg

The BA Skyhawk served me well until I spilled a Coke on it flying the Dirty Diamond formation.

Odds of that being an Embry-Riddle student: 100:1 Any takers?

srqwho

pilot
Just picked this up.
Bulova Accutron Astronaut LE Automatic GMT... they only made 1000. Bulova made these to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the original Astronaut. I wanted to buy the original one, but the fact that the movement wasn't an automatic, and is now going on 50+ years old, I decided to go with the this one with. There is an original Accutron Astronaut on the moon (I forget which Apollo mission left one there). I know that the guys wore Omegas on the moon, but I read that Bulova made the movements for all of the time keeping instruments in the Apollo spacecraft. The back of this one has Buzz Aldrin's auto engraved on it.

srqwho

pilot
have some priide, get a Brietling or Rolex, anything nelse is just fricking cheap,\
Brietling and Rolex are foreign; Bulova was founded and still is headquartered here, in the US. Also, Bulova opened a school post WWII that was exclusively aimed at training disabled vets in watchmaking so they could reintegrate back into the workforce despite their disability. And, my priorities are different. When I start pulling more senior JO pay I will consider one of the above.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Well unless Citation3 will duke me his old PC sim gear I don't have the HW to fly the Dirty Diamond formation in my bedroom.....so the Citizens Skyhawk is out.

From a functionality standpoint all I really want is a rugged, uncluttered chronograph with a second time zone, date and pilots bezel. I'd like it to be wareable everyday (work or play) like my Tags were. I only have about $4k max to spend on this particular watch. It needs to be a new watch.

I spent the last few days in stores trying on watches and researching on-line. Among others I looked at Rolex, Brietling, Omega, Hamilton, Bremont, Fortis, Tag, and Bell & Ross.

My dad still wears the Rolex he bought in Hong Kong in 1953 so I've always wanted one. That said to even get close to the functions I want in this watch, Rolex is too much money. I very seriously looked at Brietling but IMHO their new lines are either slightly too much bling for my taste (chrome numbers, polished cases/bracelets, textured faces etc) or too expensive. Brietling's Colt Chronograph II is close but I don't like the bezel. Something from Brietling is still in the game.

What I really like and will probably buy is one of the Sinn's that was mentioned earlier in the thread. ( http://www.sinn.de/en/Instrument_Chronographs.htm )

Sinn's 757 UTC looks like it may be it. I haven't tried one on and I'm a bit concerned that it could too big and heavy for everyday. It has a 43mm case that is 15.5mm thick. That to me is right on the edge of being too big for a 7.25 in. wrist. It's pretty heavy too at 111 grams without the bracelet. Their 103 Ti Ar UTC is a close second. It's case is smaller and much lighter (but thicker) at 41mm, 17mm and 69 grams. It's slightly more cluttered and maybe just a bit more dressy.

I'm gong to pull the trigger on something this week I think.

757 UTC
Sinn757Pic1.jpg857.jpgsinn_757utc_09Large.jpg

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
FWIW, I got an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean and it was also a bit heavy at first. You get used to it.

You might want to check out Hamiltons as well. They have a few that might suit your needs.

KBayDog

FWIW, I got an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean and it was also a bit heavy at first.

When you go in the West Gate, make a left at the "V" (at the T-34 on a stick). A few hundred yards down on the right, you'll see a Phrog and a Buckeye sitting on concrete pads. Park, and enter the building on the east side of the Buckeye.

Inside, you will find the cure to what ails ya.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
In the sober light of day I wll state that I own two Omegas in addition to my Breitlings and Rolex. They're great watches.

Bulova, Hamilton, Swiss Army, Tags - they good watches but not on the caliber of Omega, Breitling or Rolex. Sinns is close and the UTC is a nice model.

Rocketman - don't be afraid to look at used high end automatic / manual watches. One that's just had a full factory service for all practical purposed is a new watch. Any parts that were worn and hands will have been replaced, it will have been completely disasembled and cleaned, the base and bracelet (if metal) will have been polished and it would have left the service center with at least a one year warranty. If you can't find one recently serviced, many times you can find one whose asking price is low enough it make it worth buying and sending it for the service yourself. The services aren't cheap ($400+ depending on model) but they will make it a new watch for half the price of buying new. Just beware of buying used online or via ebay - there are many counterfeit watches being sold.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
What is the general consensus on the Breitling Emergency? Based on how its marketed it sounds like the greatest thing a NA/NFO could have on their wrist, but I'm sure there is someone who has an alternative viewpoint. I heard rumors that the emergency frequency is no longer being monitored and was never that effective to begin with. That being said, I've met a former NA who wore one when flying and apparently so do a lot of others. I know its not an automatic and its definitely not the greatest looking thing Breitling makes, just wondering what those who have been in the seats think about it as a functional flying watch.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I've always viewed the Emergency as a gimmick watch. It's very low power and will not trigger any of the autlomatic monitors, if they are still listening on 121.5. It's been out of production for a few years but Breitling is suppled to have a new version out in 2013 or 2014 with a prototype to be shown soon. It's going to use 406mhz vice 121.5.

The one he was wearing didn't do Steve Fossett any good.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Thanks for the info - I always thought it would be better to have something like it instead of nothing at all, but if there is a newer version coming out in a year or two that works better, it would make sense to wait and see what its capable of.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Yes, as of 3 years ago, there is no longer automatic reporting of a beacon on 121.5 or 243.0. There were too many false alarms. The 406 beacons all have an ID number that is transmitted. The user should register this with his address and phone number. There is also the ability to include GPS location data in the beacon. The old beacons required a long satellite pass by a satellite to pick up enough Doppler data to get a fix within 20 miles. The 406 beacons also have longer batter life because it transmits only once every 72 seconds.