• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
@Griz882 ...question, sir...what was the name of the boxing instructor at AOCS? Was it “Johnny” something? He was either a WWII or Korean War Naval Aviator. Remember how he would lead with the “pinky” when instructing on how to punch? I’m asking because I was telling our 17 year old son [who got his clock cleaned at a party last night] how I got my clock cleaned by “Killer Miller” [an NFO candidate and 41-86 classmate] at AOCS during boxing instruction...and that we had an actual boxing instructor...but I can’t confidently remember the instructor’s name. I figured since you went through AOCS a little bit before me, you may remember the boxing instructor’s name.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
We had the same instructor during the boxing phase of API.. wasn’t exclusive to AOCS...
Correct...not exclusive to AOCS. I thought he was called “Johnny” something...a really cool instructor...and I thought he had stated that he was a “Golden Gloves” boxer as well.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
P
Correct...not exclusive to AOCS. I thought he was called “Johnny” something...a really cool instructor...and I thought he had stated that he was a “Golden Gloves” boxer as well.
Seems right. All I remember was being paired against the former captain of the USNA rugby team and boxing champ - let’s just say it didn’t go well for me. LOL. He went on to fly Hornets and had a great career.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Seems right. All I remember was being paired against the former captain of the USNA rugby team and boxing champ - let’s just say it didn’t go well for me. LOL. He went on to fly Hornets and had a great career.
Yeah...LOL...it didn’t go well for me either with “Killer Miller”...he knocked me to the mat within the first 5 seconds of the first round. The fucked up thing was is that I had “pre-briefed” Miller to go easy on me...and he agreed...and then KA-BOOM!!! I was like, “WTFO?!?!?...We talked about this, dude!” He said, “Sorry, dude...I didn’t mean to hit you that hard!”...or something along those lines. Miller was [and probably still is] a great dude...that guy could drink like mother fucker...and he was pretty freaking hilarious.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
...and then KA-BOOM!!! I was like, “WTFO?!?!?...We talked about this, dude!” He said, “Sorry, dude...I didn’t mean to hit you that hard!”...or something along those lines...
...which was most likely followed with... “OMFG! I have ridiculously fragile pilot candidate eyes! OMFG! Now I have detached retinas! OMFG! I’m going to get the NAMMY WHAMMY! OMFG! I won’t be able to fly rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong...which means I won’t be able to go to the airlines! OMFG! This sucks! OMFG!”

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
@Griz882 ...question, sir...what was the name of the boxing instructor at AOCS? Was it “Johnny” something? He was either a WWII or Korean War Naval Aviator. Remember how he would lead with the “pinky” when instructing on how to punch? I’m asking because I was telling our 17 year old son [who got his clock cleaned at a party last night] how I got my clock cleaned by “Killer Miller” [an NFO candidate and 41-86 classmate] at AOCS during boxing instruction...and that we had an actual boxing instructor...but I can’t confidently remember the instructor’s name. I figured since you went through AOCS a little bit before me, you may remember the boxing instructor’s name.
For the life of me I can’t remember his name. He was a Korean War guy and told us the best aviators were boxers, thrilling us with stories of guys like Pappy Boyington. I do remember Master Guns Bearup deciding to put me in the smoker with a guy who was much bigger because I came from the Corps and he wanted me to show how you can fight despite a mismatch. I got maybe one punch for his three or four but landed a great stomach shot that doubled him over and got me a cheap win even though I had a bloody nose and messed up lip. The guy who might recall his name was once on AW as “First Sergeant.” He put together the book “Pressure Cooker.”

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
For the life of me I can’t remember his name. He was a Korean War guy and told us the best aviators were boxers, thrilling us with stories of guys like Pappy Boyington. I do remember Master Guns Bearup deciding to put me in the smoker with a guy who was much bigger because I came from the Corps and he wanted me to show how you can fight despite a mismatch. I got maybe one punch for his three or four but landed a great stomach shot that doubled him over and got me a cheap win even though I had a bloody nose and messed up lip. The guy who might recall his name was once on AW as “First Sergeant.” He put together the book “Pressure Cooker.”
Ha! I’m digging that story! Remind me NOT to piss you off if @ChuckMK23 and I fly out to the East Coast to do an AW GTG. Also, I just remembered that I have the phone number of a fellow AOCS Class 41-86’er, K. Tucker [former P-3 puke, now DHL]...he was on our jumpseat a few years back...I’ll give him a call at 0300 and ask him if he remembers the name of our boxing instructor.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Ha! I’m digging that story! Remind me NOT to piss you off if @ChuckMK23 and I fly out to the East Coast to do an AW GTG. Also, I just remembered that I have the phone number of a fellow AOCS Class 41-86’er, K. Tucker [former P-3 puke, now DHL]...he was on our jumpseat a few years back...I’ll give him a call at 0300 and ask him if he remembers the name of our boxing instructor.
I wouldn’t worry too much. These days I am a lot more Bull and a lot less Raging.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Giving the Woolrich shirt pocket the old college try today regarding a pocket watch carry option...Elgin B.W. Raymond 494 [c. 1933] railroad machine for 26NOV18...

DB1B2171-F736-4ABB-B9F3-DA3971755A0D.jpeg

A6A20114-08A5-4859-ABD0-62CA66B316A3.jpeg

D22D5820-EE98-4F5F-9682-435D6261A185.jpeg

677F70C9-1265-4E07-B133-A686DADF799C.jpeg

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
It’s Speedy Tuesday...as well as [Dunkin’ Donuts beach towel fabricated to] Dunkin’ Donuts bath mat Tuesday.

NOTE: The first rule of Dunkin’ Donuts bath mat Tuesday is not to talk about Dunkin’ Donuts bath mat Tuesday.

5C7F9EAD-8612-488C-B837-A096CC7FB7C8.jpeg

7EFD0E12-E160-4F4B-9299-63C851F23827.jpeg