• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which Sunglasses?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Hopefully those two characters did a proper time have per the formation FTI before they started those shenanigans.

(Always thought this was a funny thing to still have in the flight school form brief, years after GPS was in everything deployed and cell phones automatically synched to the correct time back stateside).

Pags

N/A
pilot
Hopefully those two characters did a proper time have per the formation FTI before they started those shenanigans.

(Always thought this was a funny thing to still have in the flight school form brief, years after GPS was in everything deployed and cell phones automatically synched to the correct time back stateside).
Fleet time hack:
“We’ll all look in the upper right of the MD at the GPS time.”

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I know it's not cool to counter mocking the time hack (which I have certainly done), but it's actually a necessity when doing FSTs. You have to hack off the actual GPS time versus the "system/sim" time, or no one can send L16 data. And then everyone gets cranky.

Jim123

pilot
I know it's not cool to counter mocking the time hack (which I have certainly done), but it's actually a necessity when doing FSTs. You have to hack off the actual GPS time versus the "system/sim" time, or no one can send L16 data. And then everyone gets cranky.
There's an easy way to fix that- anybody who screws it up gets an extra day of duty (and off the flight schedule) for the first offense... and so on. Problem solves itself real quick :D

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
What brand of sunglasses do the rookie cops [who are in their 40s with an aviation background] wear on patrol?

AOs. :cool:

And the rookie cops [who are in their 40s with an aviation background] are heckled by the veteran cops [and fellow rookie cops]...who strongly advise them to wear Oakleys.

But the rookie cops [who are in their 40s with an aviation background] continue to wear AOs...and continue to be heckled by the veteran cops [and fellow rookie cops].

Will the rookies [who are in their 40s with an aviation background] ever learn?

Probably not. :cool:

41105b05-24a1-4858-a2ac-c7e99580766f.JPG

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Fleet time hack:
“We’ll all look in the upper right of the MD at the GPS time.”

It's even funnier when the event lead gives a TOPGUN-style time-hack that is a minute or more off actual GPS time, especially in an era where a lot of guys wear "atomic" radio-update watches.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's even funnier when the event lead gives a TOPGUN-style time-hack that is a minute or more off actual GPS time, especially in an era where a lot of guys wear "atomic" radio-update watches.
It’s funny, looking back, that if you’d randomly polled three VT-86 students in the late T-39 era, you’d probably have found out the time within 5 seconds of the USNO Master Clock. Precisely because buffoonery like that would have been seen as a brand-new-career-limiting move.

Jim123

pilot
This is* also very common in the smallboy navy when the time have that is part of the underway replenishment checklist is performed off of Bubba's wrist watch, within sight of multiple GPS clocks on the bridge (that of course are automatically synched with the same atomic clock at the fucking Naval Observatory).

* hopefully "was," and it stays in the past

sevenhelmet

pilot
Agree. I personally don't mind the time hack. As old-fashioned as it is, it cages everyone's brain to the brief, and begs a certain amount of precision when done properly- hopefully preventing buffoonery like being late walking, starting, etc. I've also spent most of my career in the F/A-18C community, where not having GPS time was a real possibility, so my watch was sometimes the only reliable time source in the jet. Not to mention freaking nobody besides me seems to set the jet's LTOD to the appropriate time zone anymore.

@Jim123 , I hope you never have to go back to the boat either.

And now back to sunglasses, @Duc'-guy25 ...

:cool:

Python

pilot
Contributor
Agree. I personally don't mind the time hack. As old-fashioned as it is, it cages everyone's brain to the brief, and begs a certain amount of precision when done properly- hopefully preventing buffoonery like being late walking, starting, etc.

That’s a bit of a stretch. If the antiquated practice of timehacks were to stop tomorrow you (and the rest of us) would get through the brief and mission perfectly fine.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Mad dog didn't even hijack this one! Rolled with the sunglasses the entire time. I've been thread jacked by a KP'er and one of my IP's...

I think I've narrowed it down to two pairs of Serengeti's....might just get both.

Carrara Small Pilots IMG_0347.JPG

Or the Erice 24H from the Le Mans collection
IMG_0348.JPG

sevenhelmet

pilot
That’s a bit of a stretch. If the antiquated practice of timehacks were to stop tomorrow you (and the rest of us) would get through the brief and mission perfectly fine.

You're right. I just think it's a good "line in the sand" practice. A briefer can always say "good morning" or something too.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There's an easy way to fix that- anybody who screws it up gets an extra day of duty (and off the flight schedule) for the first offense... and so on. Problem solves itself real quick :D

Ironically, the usual offenders are the SWTIs, who will try and hack the time off their watch and not the GPS time.

Also amusingly...a few months ago, no one could figure out why the sims weren't working properly during FST or LOFT events. There would be comms and L16 issues between entities and it was frustrating everyone, especially during HARP. Finally at one point, someone was on the roof to survey weather damage and they noticed that the GPS antenna was no more and was now just a burned crisp after it had been struck by lightning.

After a new temp GPS antenna was set up, magically all the comms issues went away in the sims.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After a new temp GPS antenna was set up, magically all the comms issues went away in the sims.
I’m having flashbacks to people fucking up passing a mickey before an airwing strike.