• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which Ride?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CVTs are....not good. Theoretically, it shouldn't have to hunt for a gear. In reality, it never finds the right ratio. Drive one for a while before you plop your money down to make sure it'll work.
I think I had that inflicted on me with some of the rental cars I ended up driving in reserve land pre-COVID. Ford Focuses specifically. Biggest problem I had was trying to get the thing to downshift for passing. Felt like stepping on a damn rubber band before anything happened.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I think I had that inflicted on me with some of the rental cars I ended up driving in reserve land pre-COVID. Ford Focuses specifically. Biggest problem I had was trying to get the thing to downshift for passing. Felt like stepping on a damn rubber band before anything happened.
I had a rental Focus for about a week, a few years ago. Driving it along a snowy highway and I got into a weird PIO fighting the stability control. I got the idea that the system was calibrated for "drivers who spaz out and actually try to swerve off the road." As the wheels on one side tried to bite the little ridge of snow between the lanes, the electronic nanny went into spaz mode instead of just letting me steer straight ahead on my own.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I had a manual SVT focus a few years back in Wichita. It snowed the last day and it was kind of a liability although it was fun before.

Last edited by a moderator:

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
The CVT takes a little getting used to. Too much on the gas pedal and it bogs down. But once you figure it out, which admittingly takes a little time, it does just fine. Where I REALLY did not appreciate it was towing the 1100 lbs and 35' of trailer over the small hills between Mississippi and J'ville. But I didn't expect a lot out of a four banger trying to tow that rig at 70 mph. As for the boxer engines, that is mostly a problem with the WRX/STI guys who just gotta tune. If you leave the engine alone, it is probably more reliable than most.

The Outback shines off road. I know, it is AWD, not 4WD and is not a purpose built off-roader, but it is quite capable out-of-the-box. I drive mine occasionally through soft sand deep enough for the control arms to flatten out the track behind me and it does fine. I have an extra 2"/2.5" front/back of clearance, for a total of 10.7"/11.2" clearance. The tires are about 1" taller and 1" wider than stock, so I guess you could add 1/2" to the previous figures. If you are into the "Jeep Thing" the Outback isn't for you. If you want a nice commuter that will also get your kayaks, windsurfers, mountain bikes, dogs, or light boating equipment down dirt roads and moderate off-road destinations, you will be pleased.

Attachments

• XanderOutback.jpg
    XanderOutback.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • 29erKuat.jpg
    29erKuat.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19

taxi1

pilot
If you are into the "Jeep Thing" the Outback isn't for you. If you want a nice commuter that will also get your kayaks, windsurfers, mountain bikes, dogs, or light boating equipment down dirt roads and moderate off-road destinations, you will be pleased.
I’ve had two friends scrape their bikes off going into garages, so I’m a hitch rack man myself. :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The Outback shines off road. I know, it is AWD, not 4WD and is not a purpose built off-roader, but it is quite capable out-of-the-box.

I was impressed with some of the non-sponsored videos I've seen on YT. It's still on the radar.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My ride is a 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. I bought it used (with just under 30,000 miles on it) just before the market went insane, so it was about half the cost of a new one. It's an amazing drive, but definitely better to purchase used, especially for the 2017-2019 model years, as some of the interior trim is cheaper than you'd expect for the price point (2020 and beyond have much nicer interiors). No issues (fingers crossed) so far with reliability. I cross-shopped it with the M3 and C63 AMG, but went for the Alfa based on the price advantage and the uniqueness of the car.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
View attachment 32062
My ride is a 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. I bought it used (with just under 30,000 miles on it) just before the market went insane, so it was about half the cost of a new one. It's an amazing drive, but definitely better to purchase used, especially for the 2017-2019 model years, as some of the interior trim is cheaper than you'd expect for the price point (2020 and beyond have much nicer interiors). No issues (fingers crossed) so far with reliability. I cross-shopped it with the M3 and C63 AMG, but went for the Alfa based on the price advantage and the uniqueness of the car.
I am totes jelly! I've been eying these as well, but I've heard so many terrible things about reliability. I'm cross-shopping all over the place, but I feel like it's going to come down to figuring out an acceptable price for COMVAQWIFEPAC.

taxi1

pilot
One of the "best" cars I've owned (as in most memorable) was a 1968 Ford Thunderbird bought summer of 1979 while in Minnesota working for the Green Giant Company as a combine mechanic. Me and a friend negotiated the price down from $300 to $200. Some kind of monstrous engine, black leather-ish interior, power windows that didn't work, air conditioner that didn't work, radio didn't work, used oil like other cars used gas, huge back seat for date nights. Buried the speedometer on a proficiency run way past 120 MPH to where we estimated was 150. Ahhh, the sound of that engine. Sold it at the end of the summer for $100.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Ooh, I forgot one. The FDNF ride. Faded red (aka pink) Honda Fit. I don't remember what year but was right hand drive and cost almost much to register as it did to purchase. Sold it to my neighbor for the same I paid for it. I think we put three tanks of gas in it in 18mo. Tended to leak in heavy rains and the windows didn't always go down but got the groceries and booze back to Kizuna Tower.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Ooh, I forgot one. The FDNF ride. Faded red (aka pink) Honda Fit.
Was it a Fit or a Jazz? I remember seeing Jazzs (Jazzes?) in Australia right before or after the Fit's first model year on the American market.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
During my adulting I have had five pick ups, all Fords but one. Have now settle on a Nissan Frontier now that the kids are gone. A minivan and three SUVs for the family. Now a 2017 Jeep Cherokee. For Mrs Wink's commuter car, a rag top 1998 Mustang, convertible 2003 Mercedes CLK 430, a drop top 2012 Jaguar XK, and now a convertible 2019 Mercedes SLC 300. The XK was strikingly beautiful. Very fun to drive, but lived up to it's British heritage. The little SLC turbo four banger sounds like crap when it starts up. But select a sport mode that retunes the exhaust and it sounds as good as it drives. That little thing really moves out. Lots of fun. But the jewel in the Wink garage is a 1981 RX-7. I am the second owner. Highly modified. Lowered, stiffened, headers, Holly 4 barrel 500 cfm carb, high pressure fuel pump, relocated battery, stainless steal hoses, aluminum radiator, larger 626 front calipers and rotors, all emissions controls and the oil injection removed, 15" Panasport wheels with 205/50 meat. Nearly all badging removed. Original paint. Always garaged. It was 30 years old before it was driven in the rain. Got caught in a quickly developing summer storm driving home after an autocross event.

One day during an autocross race we heard the unmistakable sound of a Wankel over the fence on the road course. Turns out it was a race day for a local amateur race club. There was a large stable of RX-7s running in a modified stock class . We drove over and all the RX-7 dudes poured over the car and adopted my son. My son later went on to race our RX-7 in the stock street series. Yeah, we were not stock, but it was the only place for us. Not like we were points leaders and anyone would object.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A close girl friend in high school (who sadly was never a girlfriend) had a RX-7 and she would let me drive it all the time. That thing was a blast.