• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What to wear (and bring) to interview

takern

I am a freshman in college and am applying for the plc program. I have talked to the oso in the area and just finished all the paperwork for the application. The next step as i understand is to set up a meeting with the OSO and have a interview with him. I was wondering if anybody could tell me about their interview experiences. what did he ask? was it extremely formal or more lax? How should i dress? my appearance is not a major issue since i have almost a buzz cut and i do not have any tatoos or piercings. any tips or hints would be greatly appriciated as i do not want to mess this up because there are only 2 freshman slots open this year and i am told i am very competitive with my pft and grades/SAT :icon_tong.
Thanks

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Wear a suit if you have one available and at the very least a shirt and tie. I'd recommend a suit. It's always better to be overdressed than underdressed and if you feel like it'd be okay you can remove your coat before you have a seat.

Walk in there introduce yourself and give a firm handshake. Wait til they sit down first.

Look sharp. Shit, shower, shave. Don't look like ass.

Don't slouch.

Be confident and ask questions. Bring a notepad and jot down questions as they come up. If they provide you with information jot that down too.

Don't feel like you need to rattle off the answer to a question right away. Give it some thought and then answer with a more organized response.

Eye contact.

Try not to fidget.(twiddle your thumbs, tap your foot too much, twirl your pen)

Showing up with your shit together will do loads for you in any interview. Walk in there like you know its yours and walk out like you already got it.(read: confidence not cockiness) Good luck.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
10 minutes early is on time.
On time is late.
Late is unacceptable.

Huggy Bear

pilot
Any men's wearhouse should be able to hook you up with a decent looking suit for $500 or thereabouts. It can seem like a lot of money in college, but chances are you'll wear it at least a handful of times at through your college years. Think about this, if you don't get it you'll always wonder if wearing a suit would have helped. If you do get it then the money spent on the suit is just a small investment towards a long career.

Nafod

Change I can belive in
i wore a tuxedo to mine *and* i camped out in front of the office the night before. I was a little worried about how I would take care of hygene but I have learned that enough cologne can mask *anything* so I felt pretty confident. I didnt want to leave anything to chance.

If you have a suit, great. But you don't have to be that dressy. Collared shirt and tie or even a nice polo would be fine. And just be respectful and beeeeee yourself.

I wore jeans and a sweatshirt and im pretty sure i hadn't shaved in a few days (nope, im not kidding) and the interview went very well. They aren't looking for you to be all yut yut just yet. One thing I sure as hell wouldn't do if I were you is worry so much.

MettGT

pilot
I wore a suit to my interview. Your OSO just wants to get to know you and there's no need to freak out about it. You want to be a Marine officer - look and act professional and you'll be fine.

brownshoe

Contributor
Any men's wearhouse should be able to hook you up with a decent looking suit for $500 or thereabouts. It can seem like a lot of money in college, but chances are you'll wear it at least a handful of times at through your college years. Think about this, if you don't get it you'll always wonder if wearing a suit would have helped. If you do get it then the money spent on the suit is just a small investment towards a long career.

Just trying to help the young man here. Not sure where he’s located, but Jos. A. Bank’s is having some great sales right now. Suits, really nice slacks, and sportcoats are all on sale. Example: Sportcoat $ 199.00, wool slacks two for $ 179.00. (I get the mailings.) In school I counted pennies.:)

Steve

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Wear a suit if you have one available and at the very least a shirt and tie. I'd recommend a suit. It's always better to be overdressed than underdressed and if you feel like it'd be okay you can remove your coat before you have a seat.

Walk in there introduce yourself and give a firm handshake. Wait til they sit down first.

Don't slouch.

Be confident and ask questions. Bring a notepad and jot down questions as they come up. If they provide you with information jot that down too.

Don't feel like you need to rattle off the answer to a question right away. Give it some thought and then answer with a more organized response.

Eye contact.

Showing up with your shit together will do loads for you in any interview. Walk in there like you know its yours and walk out like you already got it.(read: confidence not cockiness) Good luck.
+1. Any good interviewer is going to be looking at the details of your appearance more than what you actually wear (unless you choose not to wear a suit, which is bad). Nails/nosehair clipped? Shoes don't look like they're 5 year old hand-me-downs? Suit pressed? Etc.

After that, it's how you answer/deal with questions rather than what your responses actually are (unless you say something exceptionally f'd up, which is bad).

Your appearance won't win over the interviewee, but it can easily lose it for you before you open your mouth.

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
+1. Any good interviewer is going to be looking at the details of your appearance more than what you actually wear (unless you choose not to wear a suit, which is bad). Nails/nosehair clipped? Shoes don't look like they're 5 year old hand-me-downs? Suit pressed? Etc.

After that, it's how you answer/deal with questions rather than what your responses actually are (unless you say something exceptionally f'd up, which is bad).

Your appearance won't win over the interviewee, but it can easily lose it for you before you open your mouth.

There is great advice on here, though a Gucci suit will look the same as a no name rip off suit to them, as long as it is approproiate for your frame. Though a t-shirt and shorts will say a lot about your attitude towards the program. Spekkio said it best, especially with the finger nails and nose hair, don't forget about those little details. And I would make sure that you do not wear any cologne or axe body spray or even strong smelling soap.

Treat this like you are going for a job interview. Show up 10 - 15 minutes early, anything more is too early, and I have found that bringing a book with you to read before gives you some points before the interview. It usually is a good conversation starter, though I wouldn't bring a military book, but something that is interesting and conversation worthy. I bring a book called the History of the CIA... for every interview, make sure you know what it is about though. Also make sure that you have some good answers to usual interview questions:

What is your greatest strength?
What is your biggest weakness?
Why did you chose your particular major?
Why do you want to join the Marines?
Why do you want to be an Aviator?
Describe an example of an event/instance when/where you showed leadership?

I also always get asked if I am in a relationship. And I have found that you better have a good reason for your answer whether it is Yes or No.

Good luck, have confidence, this should be something fun and exciting, practice with your friends or a teacher, you will do just fine.

TheFurr7198

I wouldnt worry about what you wear. Dont wear a wife beater to the interview but its an interview of you as you should be doing with them. You are going to meet with this OSO to see if the Marine Corps is right for you. Do your research on all branchs before going to meet him and on the program that you are wanting to start. This will help the BS detecter. Just so you know what I wore to the interview is a pair of shorts, flip flops and a beach collared shirt and I chose the Marine Corps. You actually get more points towards an air contract if you show up in flip flops and surf boards on your vehicle. Let your hair get long to. Anyways good luck with a big decision.....

longshot07

I would worry about what you wear. You always put your best foot forward and first impressions are the most important. You don't have to go to Dillards... find something on sale and at least wear a freakin tie. Black slacks and blue shirt are always acceptable nothing fancy needed. I personally don't believe you should wear a stripe tie with a stripped shirt and a solid tie with a solid shirt, and belt is always the same color as the shoes but whatever those aren't too important.

Even for civillian job interviews you at LEAST wear a tie. Do you think applying for a "job" (more like a way of life) in the USMC would garner anything less? It's just a best practice when you are applying for any position. Look your best, look professional, show confidence even if you don't feel it, power hand shake... yadda yadda.
Appearances are always important especially the first time you see something or someone.

My 2 pennies...

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL

Don't slouch.

Eye contact.

+1 This is excellent advice. All applicants should definitely take note here. I also wore a suit to my interview along with being clean cut, well groomed. It definitely makes an impression and difference. Of course you have to have the smarts, inside also too.

Good luck man.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have found that bringing a book with you to read before gives you some points before the interview. It usually is a good conversation starter, though I wouldn't bring a military book, but something that is interesting and conversation worthy. I bring a book called the History of the CIA... for every interview, make sure you know what it is about though.

That is one book I would recommend NOT bringing. If I were the OSO and saw it in your hands, it would certainly be conversation worthy alright, but because I'd want to know why you were reading and bringing it to my office. Why? Because, many people have romantic notions about using service as stepping stone to a movie (or book) inspired career in the Agency. So, what you might think is a bonus because it resulted in a "conversation" might actually be a waste of both your time as the interviewer engages you to make sure where your head is at in regards to focusing on the Marine Corps.

That said, why not bring a Military book? Why not one that is on the USMC Professional Reading List list (or even AW book thread)? That would show did your research on what USMC thinks are good reads to help you expand your mind, That is a safe and wise bet.

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
That is one book I would recommend NOT bringing. If I were the OSO and saw it in your hands, it would certainly be conversation worhty alright, but because I'd want to know why you were reading and bringing it to my office. Why? Because, many people have romantic notions about using service as stepping stone to a movie (or book) inspired career in the Agency. So, what you might think is a bonus because it resulted in a "conversation" might actually be a waste of both your time as the interviewer engages you to make sure where your head is at in regards to focusing on the Marine Corps.

That said, why not bring a Military book? Why not one that is on CMC recommended reading list (or even AW book thread)? That would show did your research on what USMC thinks are good reads to help you expand your mind, That is a safe and wise bet.

I was just saying what I bring, trying to point out that bringing a book is better than a magazine, or playing on your phone. Having a book about the CIA maybe isn't for everyone, but I wouldn't bring a military book because I want to show that I have more than military on my mind. I feel that one can be extremely passionate about their military branch, as well as have other interests that allow me to not get overwhelmed with Navy. I am sure that it is quite different for Navy guys and Marine guys, you guys seem more intense. I also said that I bring that for EVERY interview, and it usually works well for my civilian interviews. The CIA book worked out well for me, I happened to be in teh same room as a newly commissioned Ensign that had worked with the CIA for a few months before OCS.

This book is more of a history book about the Cold War. I wouldn't mention anything about going into the agency, I have read enough about it to know that there is no such thing as a James Bond Case Officer, and that spy work is actually boring work. I just find those books interesting. They all show that the CIA was really unorganized and a bunch of drunks, it was a great book... I suggest it anyways.

I wasn't trying to give anyone bad advice, I just want to point that out. But I am also a civilian, that is going into the Navy, maybe my advice is not the best to listen to.